ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SC48 for high channel count musical... HELP!!!  (Read 2002 times)

Brian Harden

SC48 for high channel count musical... HELP!!!
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:21:58 pm »

Okay, I asked for a M7CL-48 for a run of Les Mis.  I know that it's not the best sounding board or most logical layout, but I prefer as many faders as possible when I'm mixing a large number of lav mics (in this case- 37 packs).  I was told an M7CL wouldn't be a problem.  In the end, the TD brought in a SC48 instead because he heard good things about them and wanted to try one out.  WHAT?!?!  You're not the one that has to mix on it!  So, here I am on a board that I've never used and has only 16 faders on a bank.  

BTW- I've already done Les Mis on a M7 and still have it on a data stick.   Confused

I spent about two hours with the SC48 and do admit that the layout is quite nice and it's pretty intuitive.  There were a few things that made me think... huh?, but mostly it made sense.  

Is there anybody that's mixed a big show like Les Mis on this board?  Any good tricks for getting through high track count scenes?

Right now the plan of attack is to keep the most used tracks on the main layer and then create snapshots using the VCA's for up to eight channels from other layers showing up at the VCAs.  This would change for each scene in the show.  Anybody have a better way to do it?

Thanks!

Brian

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

Re: SC48 for high channel count musical... HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »

There's the whole VCA spill feature - have you figured that into your design?  You can also do group spill, so even if you're not actually using the groups for audio you can use them with the spill to set up virtual layers.

I think the spill feature is great - did a show recently and ended up using the spill most of the time instead of the regular layers.

Brad Harris

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:23:48 pm »

The spill fader is pretty neat (and new) with the SC48.

If your going with the VCA snapshots, make your rough channel levels somewhere else but the VCA's (Fader, Group, etc), use VCA's only to massage the mix (ie, bring up 3-6dB for lines, or features, etc).

ex: Actor 1 is on a VCA, you bring up the assigned VCA 10dB throughout that scene and leave it as you go to your next snapshot and another mic is assigned to that same VCA now (and Actor 1 isn't anymore), now that channel is up 10dB from where you want it to be.
Brad Harris

Jason Tubbs

• http://www.xenu.net
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:33:19 pm »

Brad Harris wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 13:23

The spill fader is pretty neat (and new) with the SC48.

If your going with the VCA snapshots, make your rough channel levels somewhere else but the VCA's (Fader, Group, etc), use VCA's only to massage the mix (ie, bring up 3-6dB for lines, or features, etc).

ex: Actor 1 is on a VCA, you bring up the assigned VCA 10dB throughout that scene and leave it as you go to your next snapshot and another mic is assigned to that same VCA now (and Actor 1 isn't anymore), now that channel is up 10dB from where you want it to be.

Why not scope your VCAs?

jt
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"  - L. Ron Hubbard

Brad Harris

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:27:03 pm »

Why not? Simple, I didn't mention it when I posted Razz

That and going back to analogue (just if you had some automation, without fader control), it would still be the same issue if someone wants to do this on that kind of equipment.
Brad Harris

Brian Harden

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »

Thanks guys!

I didn't know that it had Spill fader function on that level board.  It looks like that's the way to go right now.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 15 queries.