ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rephrase: I need a good 3000w non-inv Generator  (Read 6685 times)

Jay Barracato

Re: Rephrase: I need a good 3000w non-inv Generator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »

I have a local business that specializes in portable power. I got a quote from them for $200 for a 45 kw delivered locally, installed on site with a ground rod, and a 100 foot spider for a one day event.

At that rate, I see no reason not to do it right.

I have been meaning to buy a Honda for my personal use, and I would probably occasionally use it for PA, but that would not be it's main purpose.

Jay
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »

Jay Barracato wrote on Mon, 26 April 2010 09:00

I have a local business that specializes in portable power. I got a quote from them for $200 for a 45 kw delivered locally, installed on site with a ground rod, and a 100 foot spider for a one day event.

That's a great price.  It's hard to rent much of a distro and feeder for half that.

My solution for more modest requirements has been to use a true sine wave, online,  1750 watt UPS hooked up to a small 5500 watt generator. The UPS was bought on closeout for $99.  More info can be found (I think they are still selling it for $179):

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?t=msg&th=51441 &17963/  

My generator has a Honda engine but is made by another company.  I've never bothered to measure the output but I feel very safe with my generator output being converted to a true sine wave by the UPS, and the 'online' feature means the power is being run through an inverter anyways.  I get the generator far enough away with feeder that the noise is not an issue.

You need to run a larger generator with UPS's due to power factor

Read more on that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Di fficulties_faced_with_generator_use

Finally, you might as well read some more about sine waves while you are at it  Very Happy

http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/emailnewsletter_gener ators.html

I'd still like to get the 6500 Honda Inverter genie, but can't really justify the cost and can rent when needed.  My current generator serves triple duty as a backup and other uses, so its cost is easy to justify.  
I should probably be doing something else right now....

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »

Thanks for te "screenlightandgrip" article.  That explained the differences very well.

-Dennis Wiggins
Good music is good forever, but you can't make bad music sound good.  You can only turn it down.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »

I read the screenlightandgrip article and agree there is good stuff there.  

It's interesting they mention "skin effect" as a cause of fuses failing in equipment due to harmonic distortion.  This seems to be a stretch. Using 240 Hz - the 4th harmonic of 60Hz, the "skin" of a copper wire is 12mm thick.  I don't know about you, but I don't have very many 24mm thick wires in use in portable generators.

Personally I subscribe to the buy-once, cry-once philosophy where I would buy the right thing - an inverter-based generator, or rent until I could afford to buy the right thing.  $500 isn't going to buy much.

Scott Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »

When it comes to small generators, Honda'a are probably the best (and quietest, and most expensive).  I did run on a Honda 5500 that had a regulator go bad, and sent excessive voltage to my equipment, doing some damage.  I now run the Furman Conditioner with over-voltage protection.  My PLX amps fortunately did not suffer whatsoever (I assume they have good built-in regulation).

Some gigs I do, I have the fortunate luxury of running on 45KW generators, but all too often I have to run on small portable units that are provided for me.  With 240v units, I always split the load and pull from both sides.  

Ironically, one of the best little units I've had to run on though (I had SERIOUS doubts) was an el cheapo $188 unit from Brandsmart.  It is a no name brand, and probably won't be worth repairing if it breaks, but I have gotten stronger power from this little unit, than all the small 240v models I've had to use.  It is a 3250watt 120v unit.  I think what works here is that ALL 3250 watts go to one single outlet, where as your bigger generators split the power to 2 sources.

Surprisingly, I am able to provide enough outdoor sound for small parking lot gigs on this provided unit.  I wouldn't call it a "good" unit... it wasn't my choice, but it does actually work.  For minimal work, it might suffice.

Anyway, that is my story and I'm sticking to it.  Cool
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Todd Rasmussen

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »

Consumer reports had an article on small generators a while back (as in a couple year). Bottom line was that most were pretty optimistic about their output ratings. Up to around 50% optimisim if you get my drift.

At the time, only the Hondas and one or two others whos names escape me came close or met their rated outputs. So, to bolster points already mentioned, if you're buying an inexpensive genny, buy ~50% more "rated" power than what you actually want/need.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:42 AM »

It looks like the Generac XP4000 is what I'm looking for. It has improved filtering (less than 5% distorion of the sine wave) and the cost is reasonable.  It also has a 240V/20A receptacle so it can double duty for my frequent home power outages.

I've done a fair amount of bar work with only one unknown wall outlet to work off of, running 2 CS3000s with QRx212s over QRx218s (all 4 ohm loads).  I have never tripped a breaker due (in part) to my DSP limiter settings, I'm sure.  

Thanks to All,
Dennis Wiggins
Good music is good forever, but you can't make bad music sound good.  You can only turn it down.

John Livings

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »

I agree, you should rent first, or maybe always.

We have 2 Honda EX5500s from the late 90s. At 50' I can't hear them run, Very,Very Quiet. No problems,  Just turn the key to start and you are good for 6-8 hours.

My understanding is that the later EX5500s had a special  Governor installed to better run the HMI type Ballasts, i am not sure of this.

I have the wheel kit installed and moving is easy on a "Hard" Surface (400 Pounds).

We run around 2500-3500 watts (120V) for each generator.

I guess the only drawback is the EX5500 is gas.

If the "Generac" is what I think it is (The one sold by Home Depot) , It may be to loud to be useful. Not only  was the thing noisy, It was vibrating so much it was moving around.

Just some observations,

John

Todd Anisman

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »

The Powerboss 7000 is an excellent genset, based on the Honda GX9 engine.  Tried & True.  about $700, but perfect for your needs.

Todd A.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »

I ended up buying an ETQ TG3600 for $260 at Menard's.  

The first thing I tested was it's ability to run my air compressor, which is a severe 110v load; it hardly flinched.  
I then did a "disaster recovery test" running my
house off of it.  Simultaneous loads were:  sump pump, refrigerator,  freezer, a few lights (mostly CFLs) and a 220v well pump (I just turned on water and let it pump and sump).  Again, No problems.  

Lastly, I tested running sound off of the 110v outlet.  My rig consists of:
Laptop/CD/Analogue Mixer/VSX26/CS3000/CS3000/2x4ohm tops/2x4 ohm Subs and a Small powered monitor, at full-tilt.  It all ran fine.  The generator produces 75dB (at 25 feet, as advertised) of "non-obnoxious" background, but setting it back with 50 feet of 10ga makes it unnoticeable.

I also tested it running off the 220v L14 with X and Y leads feeding 2 separate duplex
outlets.  It worked great and should offer about 6 more amps, total (in theory).

The only problem I found (this is serious if you are running a 220v load) is that the 220v receptacle (L1420R) has separate breakers for the X and Y legs.  This is bad because it will leave "half" of the 220v circuit hot if only one side trips.

I added my "ohmbru" wheel/handle kit, and it's very easy to move aroumd.

Very cheap solution my me.

-Dennis Wiggins
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.