ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x10+1in COLUMN!  (Read 26488 times)

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: 4x10+1in COLUMN!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 05:13:30 PM »

Rory Buszka wrote on Fri, 21 May 2010 18:11

Tim Padrick wrote on Sat, 01 May 2010 09:51

Wouldn't a D'Appolito configuration have been better than having the horn at one end?  Or are they a three way with 3 woofs and a mid?

Actually, my money's on a frequency-shaded design, or '2.5-way' where the lower woofers are rolled off progressively with increasing frequency.

Gene Hardage wrote on Sat, 01 May 2010 22:13

These columns are passively crossed with progressively lower crossover points for each 10.  

Don't go too far out on that limb Rory!  Rolling Eyes

Mac

Kasey Linsberg

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

I know this is a bit of an older post, but I was wondering if you had an thoughts on how these might sound with two per side? It looks as though it would make a fairly nice scalable system.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »

Kasey Linsberg wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 15:55

I know this is a bit of an older post, but I was wondering if you had an thoughts on how these might sound with two per side? It looks as though it would make a fairly nice scalable system.

Since column speakers have very wide horizontal coverage they would not work very well side by side. stacking 1 on top of the other would work better, but involve a lot of safety structure. This is not a scalable solution.

Here is the same thing from the late '70s.

Mac

Kasey Linsberg

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »

Thanks Mac. It would seem my knowledge of column speakers is somewhat lacking.

Gene Hardage

• http://www.SarasotaSlim.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 16:03

Since column speakers have very wide horizontal coverage they would not work very well side by side. stacking 1 on top of the other would work better, but involve a lot of safety structure. This is not a scalable solution.

Mac

I was hoping for the same thing but was told that stacking would work much better with the top one upside down.  That sounds way too scary for me so that's out.  They do work well for side fills and even better with a sub out front.  I remember those JBL columns but never saw them in the plastic boxes.  I still have one dinosaur left over from that era and it's an old EV 1803 "keyboard" monitor with the aluminum edges and it does sound really good as a keyboard or drum monitor.
Gene SARASOTA SLIM Hardage
http://www.SarasotaSlim.com

Art Welter

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 14:03

Mac

Column speakers have the same horizontal dispersion as the speakers they use, the issues of running them side by side are the same as any front loaded cabinet.
Although I'm not a fan of side by side front loaded cones, being scalable is a matter of opinion, it never stopped Clair Brothers putting their 4x 10" (and 2x18, 2 x2" and 2tweets) S4 cabinets 4, 8 and more wide..

The Ramsdell is using a frequency shaded crossover and a horn which (probably) matches the top 10" dispersion.

The old JBL did not have those features, it used musical instrument 10" and bullet tweeters splayed side by side.

The Ramsdell looks to be a good update on an old idea.

Riley Casey

• http://www.ESPsound.com
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »

That link was worth it just for the Google translation if nothing else.    Shocked

Mac Kerr wrote on Mon, 03 January 2011 16:03

Mac

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.