ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Found some useful Cheap breifcase style cases (Montreal)  (Read 9125 times)

Marlow Wilson

Found some useful Cheap breifcase style cases (Montreal)
« on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »

(I originally was going to post this in the marketplace, but dropped it here in case there were questions)

These are pretty light-duty, but they are $20 each and become cheaper in multiples.  I thought I'd share just in case any one could use them or would share other sources.  The seller imports them from China himself and lives in Montreal.  I'm not sure it would be cost effective for people in the states but I'm sure there are others selling these things.

The case come with easy to shape foam, dividers, a shoulder strap. I bought ten and plan on dropping some poor items that have been without cases for a while in them.  

I have no affiliation with the seller (in fact he wasn't my favorite person to deal with by email  Rolling Eyes  ).

I have a few similar cases that I use with dry rentals for misc. cables and the like.  I plan to put some caseless lower end DJ mixers, my bar rig mic package, measurement mic and soundcard, etc.

So... does anyone have a similar lounge-level case solution?

I've always had trouble justifying cases for some less expensive items and I'm pretty excited about everything having a home, even if it's not quite roadworthy.

I'll try to post back with some pics of actual items in their new cases.  I must stress that these are not professional cases.  The foam is less dense, the hardware is not super sturdy looking, and these would not be suitable for daily use.

That said, I think they are a real step up from the milk crates and reuseable bags that they are to varying degrees replacing  : Embarassed .

index.php/fa/29566/0/
I should probably be doing something else right now....

Marlow Wilson

Re: Found some useful Cheap breifcase style cases (Montreal)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

I think the dividers are pretty much useless, though with some small l-brackets and a few rivets they could be made to be sturdy.

index.php/fa/29567/0/

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »

index.php/fa/29568/0/

Dick Rees

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »

These have been available at Home Depot and other places for a number of years.  The dividers don't really hold together and the edge banding on the exterior comes loose very quickly, snagging on whatever.  The handles break if you look at them and I paid $12 for mine.  that was $12 lost.

Save your $$$ and get something that'll last more than a week or two.........
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 17:30

These have been available at Home Depot and other places for a number of years.  The dividers don't really hold together and the edge banding on the exterior comes loose very quickly, snagging on whatever.  The handles break if you look at them and I paid $12 for mine.  that was $12 lost.

Save your $$$ and get something that'll last more than a week or two.........

I agree 100%, except that I still have some things living in their original cardboard boxes.  I'm always on the lookout for used cases (pelican especially).  Many of these are items I don't use on a regular basis.

I'll report back on how they hold up, and do not plan on using them for anything strenuous.

I'd also be interested to know what other budget case options people are using.

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »

Those would make nice cases for mics, etc for folks like me. For mixers, etc., I'd spend a bit more, even in the budget realm. Here's what I keep my lighting console in: http://www.tuffboxcases.com/

It's reasonably stout for occasional use (not even close to an ATA case), and are pretty inexpensive. Their rack cases are decent for low-use, too. I use one for my amps. It's not gonna hold up under a lot of abuse, but what do you expect for the price?

I think this is the same folks: http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Space-Over-14-Space-RACK-MIXER-ROAD-C ASE-Heavy-Duty_W0QQitemZ300389986468QQcategoryZ23789QQcmdZVi ewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26 its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252 BDDSIC%26otn%3D20%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D91375486690297 05129

This is where I got my FOH rack case. It's stouter than you'd expect for the price. It ships flat, with some assembly required. I figure if it dies saving either my mixer or my Graphi-Q (both in it) then it saves me money. My main annoyance is that the edges are unfinished, so I anticipate the coating will peel and the edges will deteriorate.

From these guys (via eBay), I managed to get a 12/14 FOH rack (kit), a 10-space rack case (Tuffbox), and a briefcase-style case for my lighting board (Tuffbox) for about $420 shipped.

Again, it won't compete with ATA, but you guys may find a use for some of these for backup equipment or even some HOW locations where they need to be able to roll stuff a short distance between uses.
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »

As with the overall case, the dividers would be okay for light-duty use. I might look into something like this for storing mics and similar small equipment that's not mounted somewhere. It'd beat the hell out of the fishing tackle box I currently use.
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »

The stuff I posted in my original reply will certainly outlast these. They might even be usable for frequent use in van-packing lightweight items that need some protection.
Gerry Seymour

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »

Gerry Seymour wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 17:42

Those would make nice cases for mics, etc for folks like me. For mixers, etc., I'd spend a bit more, even in the budget realm. Here's what I keep my lighting console in: http://www.tuffboxcases.com/

It's reasonably stout for occasional use (not even close to an ATA case), and are pretty inexpensive. Their rack cases are decent for low-use, too. I use one for my amps. It's not gonna hold up under a lot of abuse, but what do you expect for the price?

I think this is the same folks:  http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Space-Over-14-Space-RACK-MIXER-ROAD-C  ASE-Heavy-Duty_W0QQitemZ300389986468QQcategoryZ23789QQcmdZVi  ewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26  its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252  BDDSIC%26otn%3D20%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D91375486690297 05129

This is where I got my FOH rack case. It's stouter than you'd expect for the price. It ships flat, with some assembly required. I figure if it dies saving either my mixer or my Graphi-Q (both in it) then it saves me money. My main annoyance is that the edges are unfinished, so I anticipate the coating will peel and the edges will deteriorate.

From these guys (via eBay), I managed to get a 12/14 FOH rack (kit), a 10-space rack case (Tuffbox), and a briefcase-style case for my lighting board (Tuffbox) for about $420 shipped.

Again, it won't compete with ATA, but you guys may find a use for some of these for backup equipment or even some HOW locations where they need to be able to roll stuff a short distance between uses.

In that realm I'd rather go to audiopile.net for cases.  I bought these as a step up from a cardboard box in a milk crate.

By low end DJ mixer I mean something that's worth $50 to $75.  I also have a cheap DMX board that will be happier in this case than nothing. With items like this it's hard to justifying putting $100 into a case shipped with foam - even if that's a good deal.  

Dick Rees

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »

Besides purchasing from AudioPile.net (which I do regularly), Labster Richard Palm has a business dealing used gear where (if you shop over the long term) you can find very usable gear.  Here's a link to the "road case" section.

http://stores.ebay.com/AVFORSALE_Road-Cases_W0QQ_fsubZ564210 0QQ_sidZ10981170QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.