ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inst. Cables - Band or Sound Co.  (Read 10254 times)

Ned Ward

Re: Inst. Cables - Band or Sound Co.
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:03 AM »

Erik Jerde wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 22:01

Jason Tubbs wrote on Sat, 17 April 2010 19:07

If your instrument won't work without it, there is no good reason to show up to the gig without one.  This goes for power strips, extension cords, instrument cables, IEC cables, drum sticks, etc.

Once, I had a band member ask me if I had a house trumpet...

jt

By this line of reasoning the musician should be bringing the PA, distro, genny, diesel etc.

I've always tried to have everything necessary to get signal from the instrument into the system.  If you're worried about loosing the cable, then do like one of my old teachers did.  Take their left shoe.  They get it back when you get the cable back.

I think you're taking it a bit far. If you play an instrument and don't show up with a 1/4" cable to connect to an amp, DI, etc, you're an idiot and should be made to suffer. It's not asking a lot to ask folks to bring a power cord for their keyboard (it was sold with one) or have a 1/4" cable in their guitar case or keyboard bag (there is room). I agree, no generator, stage, etc, but within reason - if you don't have a strap, pick or cable for a bass or guitar in your case when you show up for a gig, IMNSVHO you are an idiot and literally should pay the consequences. Or be stoned, or have to listen to Adam Lambert for 96 hours straight, like the scene in Clockwork Orange.

Asking for their left shoe as a deposit is good, but your method sounds like it's out of the Katzenjammer Kids comic strip. Really - is that going to work at a show? I'd like to see that verbal (and soon escalating to physical) exchange.

Rick Stansby

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:56 AM »

How about the guys who forget their guitar strap, and then proceed to make one with half a roll of my Gaff tape  Mad
Rick

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »

Keep a roll of cheap duct tape for them to do that with. The goo left on the instrument will dissuade them from forgetting again. If they want the good stuff, make them buy the whole roll from you - they are then free to take it home.
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Erik Jerde

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 01:51:42 AM »

Ned Ward wrote on Mon, 19 April 2010 06:27

Erik Jerde wrote on Sun, 18 April 2010 22:01

Jason Tubbs wrote on Sat, 17 April 2010 19:07

If your instrument won't work without it, there is no good reason to show up to the gig without one.  This goes for power strips, extension cords, instrument cables, IEC cables, drum sticks, etc.

Once, I had a band member ask me if I had a house trumpet...

jt

By this line of reasoning the musician should be bringing the PA, distro, genny, diesel etc.

I've always tried to have everything necessary to get signal from the instrument into the system.  If you're worried about loosing the cable, then do like one of my old teachers did.  Take their left shoe.  They get it back when you get the cable back.

I think you're taking it a bit far. If you play an instrument and don't show up with a 1/4" cable to connect to an amp, DI, etc, you're an idiot and should be made to suffer. It's not asking a lot to ask folks to bring a power cord for their keyboard (it was sold with one) or have a 1/4" cable in their guitar case or keyboard bag (there is room). I agree, no generator, stage, etc, but within reason - if you don't have a strap, pick or cable for a bass or guitar in your case when you show up for a gig, IMNSVHO you are an idiot and literally should pay the consequences. Or be stoned, or have to listen to Adam Lambert for 96 hours straight, like the scene in Clockwork Orange.

Asking for their left shoe as a deposit is good, but your method sounds like it's out of the Katzenjammer Kids comic strip. Really - is that going to work at a show? I'd like to see that verbal (and soon escalating to physical) exchange.

Wow Ned, take a step back, I was joking around.  As far as the idiot/made to suffer thing.  C'mon, that's a bit extreme.  I guess I come from the school where you go the extra mile to make things work 'cause sometimes shit happens and the only guy who can make the show go and stay on schedule is the engineer.  Realistically if you're gonna work in amateur land, then you're gonna find people who forget stuff.  Now if I have cables I'll help a guy out.  I never have picks, strings, or drum thrones since those aren't used in the PA, so in that case the muso is SOL.  I will be happy to let a guy sit on a milk crate, or cut his visa into nice pick shaped pieces....  Now all that said if you're working club land and your 1/4s keep walking off, then you do what you gotta do.

Erik Jerde

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 01:55:57 AM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Mon, 19 April 2010 06:39

How about the guys who forget their guitar strap, and then proceed to make one with half a roll of my Gaff tape  Mad

I heard other people say it here before, and it's a great idea.  If a muso needs gaffer, you give it to them in 1ft pieces at a time.

If they ask for a sharpie just tell them you don't have one.  No way they get to ruin my nice sharp tip signing tee shirts.

If they need a strap, they can borrow from another band, or get a stool from the bar.

Ned Ward

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 10:19:03 AM »

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh; the combination of the genny and asking for the shoe stuck in my craw and I went off on a rant that included an obscure comic strip.

Agree that if you're providing sound, you do want the show to go on and sometimes these "expendibles" are needed.

Keith Shannon

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »

Chris Gentry wrote on Fri, 16 April 2010 17:11

Is it typical practice for the sound co. or band to show up with guitar/bass leads? I'm not talking national touring acts with sound co. in tow. More along the line of your smaller, weekend guy covering the company picnic or charity fundraiser where you'd have some regional acts showing up.

My thinking; as the sound system provider, you should expect, but not bet your business, that they can get their own sound into their own stage amps. You're definitely on the hook for anything else. Compounding that responsibility is the added pressure of being the easiest guy to point fingers at should something go wrong, even if it has nothing to do with your own equipment.

So, I would prepare two "gear bags"; my "normal" kit would include anything I would reasonably need to get the band into my PA system. That will include a few instrument cables, for the sole reason that if the bassist doesn't use effects you will need a 1/4" cable to insert your DI box. Of course you'll also need vocal and cab mikes of various types, DIs in various flavors, stands for any mike on stage whether it's yours or not, and a few miles of mic cable. I would even throw in a generic soundhole pickup or two in case they normally mic acoustics and it's not an option in this gig.

Your better acts have their own PAs, and will bring along the additional equipment they normally use to get to their stage box. I would expect (but not bet the rent) any vocalists to bring along their mics (especially if the band's invested in something better or more "fitted" to various vocalists than garden-variety 58s or 835s). They may or may not want to use their own stuff when you pull out yours; be prepared for anything including a hybrid setup.

My "second" gear kit is the "rescue" kit. The groups on stage whom you run sound for should not know about this kit until the first time they genuinely need rescue (and if it's something boneheaded and/or their first gig, I'd be seriously thinking about whether I wanted to run sound for them again). This bag will include anything you can think of that would generally be the band's responsibility, is relatively inexpensive for you to buy and keep handy, but would end the band's evening for lack of it. Batteries, picks, 1/4" instrument and patch cables, strings, flashlights, an extra couple of 57s or 58s, and even a few of the most common amp tubes (12AX7, EL84, 6L6).

If you keep a "rescue" bag like that handy for band-related emergencies, you will be a god to any band who has some freak occurrence they weren't prepared for, like an amp tube cherrying out. Even if you send them an invoice to replace what they needed, your preparedness will earn you a lot of word-of-mouth.

Doug Sprinthall

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »

Though I'm normally quite well prepared, I have over the years left my gig bag (cables etc) on the floor of the garage.  I've found that if I approach the provider and say something along the lines of "normally I'm not this stupid" ask to borrow cables and offer a deposit, I get help and a smile.  I think where the class warfare between sound guys and muscians starts is with shitty attitudes.  Some players suffer the Prima Donna syndrome and are a real pain to deal with.  

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »

Doug Sprinthall wrote on Mon, 19 April 2010 12:44

Most players suffer the Prima Donna syndrome and are a real pain to deal with.  

Fixed it for you.

Either tell them no, you dont have what they need. Or, carry it, and charge a deposit. Or, carry it and believe you are the hero of the night.

Musicians expect me to have everything I need if I am providing sound, so I expect them to have everything they need to make a sound for me to make louder. Here is a good checklist for a guitarist....1)Guitar. CHECK. 2) Amp. CHECK. 3)CABLES. Because you plan to use 1&2 to make noise.

I dont see whats so hard. Sure I forget things from time to time, and deserve a helpful fix, but more than once is where I draw the line. And nothing is free. God knows the forgetful musician is not paying me enough to be there in the first place.

/rant after a 10 1/2hr work day
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.