ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey IPR1600  (Read 19227 times)

cecil abrego

Re: Peavey IPR1600
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 01:52:22 AM »

Thanks for that awesome review.  Very easy to read for newbies like me.  Now I am definitely looking forward to the release of the higher wattage versions.

James Babcock

• http://www.thevisualtimekeeper.com
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 03:18:03 AM »

I recently purchased one of these amps and ran it for the first time on a July 1st show. I was using it to run one Peavey PV115M 8 ohm monitor wedge. I wasn't running it loud or pushing it very hard and the DDT kept coming on and the sound out of the wedge was pumping on and off. Even just sound checking it with Ipod music was shutting it down. My mixer is an older 01V and I have that running to a PV215EQ then to the power amp.

Could it be that this amp doesn't like having just one channel driven? Or am I more than likely looking at a warranty return. Any insight is much appreciated!

Rock on,

James
http://www.thevisualtimekeeper.com
"Know what you're trying to do before you do it. Turning knobs at random isn't enlightening any more than throwing paint at a wall blindfolded will let you paint a nice picture."

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 08:37:53 AM »

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »

James Babcock wrote on Mon, 05 July 2010 02:18

I recently purchased one of these amps and ran it for the first time on a July 1st show. I was using it to run one Peavey PV115M 8 ohm monitor wedge. I wasn't running it loud or pushing it very hard and the DDT kept coming on and the sound out of the wedge was pumping on and off. Even just sound checking it with Ipod music was shutting it down. My mixer is an older 01V and I have that running to a PV215EQ then to the power amp.

Could it be that this amp doesn't like having just one channel driven? Or am I more than likely looking at a warranty return. Any insight is much appreciated!

Rock on,

James

How does an equally sized amp perform in the same circumstances?  My guess is that 300w. isn't enough for your needs.  What were you powering the wedge with previously?
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »

James Babcock wrote on Mon, 05 July 2010 03:18

Rock on,

James

James,
Sounds like yours needs service.

James Babcock

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »

Quote:

How does an equally sized amp perform in the same circumstances? My guess is that 300w. isn't enough for your needs. What were you powering the wedge with previously?

Tim,
Up to now I have been using an old Yorkville SR300 which is only rated at 110 watts for an 8ohm load. All I was running in my monitor mix was lead vocals and my vocal and nothing else. I thought the IPR1600 would be a reasonable step up from that unit as far as power output is concerned. Basically anytime I ran a signal to the IPR1600 the DDT lights came on right after the Signal light lit up. To be honest the SR300 puts out WAY more than the IPR1600 does, I am thinking my new amp has an issue. I also switched to a PV112M alone, same issue. Also connected both the 15" and the 12" wedges and tried it running that 4 ohm load with the same results. Signal light on, turn it up a bit, DDT light on, sound off. BAH! Smile It made for an interesting first set anyways. Just unplugged the damn wedge and played and sang my parts.

For the remainder of the night I used one side of a Crown XLS202 that I usually run bridged for the bass players wedge. Set it back to stereo and had my wedge for the rest of the night. The Crown is a 200W @ 8 Ohm stereo, 600W @ 8 ohm bridged amp, it worked fine.

Marjan,

Thanks for the link, after reading it I am curious as to how you feel that relates to my problem? I must have missed something in that thread and the linked review? The 8 ohm performance in the linked article is  more that twice what my old monitor amp was capable of, and it worked fine with the same wedge.

Thanks so far guys!

James
"Know what you're trying to do before you do it. Turning knobs at random isn't enlightening any more than throwing paint at a wall blindfolded will let you paint a nice picture."

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »

Hmmmm.

If you swapped another amp, keeping the same speaker and cable, I think the amp needs to see Dr. Peavey in Meridian.

Before you box it up for a return or exchange, test it outside of gigland, though, and see if you can replicate the failure.  If so, off it goes.  If not, you possibly have an iffy 1/4" connector on a speaker cable.
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

James Babcock

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 07:13:30 PM »

Tim,

I ran it with the same speaker cable as well as swapped the cable. Same with the input cable, as well as running it from a different omni out on the 01V.

I will see what the process is here in Canada as far as warranty goes.

James

Marjan Milosevic

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »

From all the info you provided i can only to the conclusion that you have a false unit. Can you try one more thing?
Connect the signal cable to the amp and put some signal to it without connecting the speaker. Is it behave the same way?
If it does, than you have a problem in the input stage of the amp and i would advice to send it to the local Peavey authorized service.

James Babcock

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 02:20:36 PM »

Marjan,

Thanks for clarifying, the amp was still turning off with no speaker load and a signal supplied to it. I had the speaker cable plugged in on the amp end, but not on the cabinet end. The reason for this was when it started cutting out it was driving me crazy coming on and off, so I unplugged the speaker to finish the set! Yuck! Haha! When I got to the rack during set break and turned on my break music I ran it to my monitor channel to see what the amp was doing. Forgetting that I had no speaker load because I had unplugged the speaker I did run signal to it and the DDT lights lit up right away. I plugged the speaker back it while the music was playing and it was pumping on and off as before.

Thanks so much for the replies guys! Now just need to get that darn trailer unloaded so I can run it through some more scenarios in the relative safety of my basement. Smile

James
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.