ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Your most successful advertising campaigns?  (Read 3133 times)

Peter Etheredge

Your most successful advertising campaigns?
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »

So we're looking at maybe doing a mailing of some sort and I was wondering what campaigns have worked or haven't worked for the rest of you.

Currently we're looking at either mailing a regular old letter to churches talking about the 700Mhz issue or perhaps doing a newsletter with articles written by us (including the 700Mhz thing) highlighting not only our installations but also our production work.  Perhaps also a page of items we sell such as cables, cases, etc...  This would be sent to churches (addressed to the same music or tech directors that the letter would be) and schools, park districts, etc.  It would hopefully become a quarterly thing.

The worry is that with this sort of investment we're afraid that lots of our money will literally just be tossed into the trash so obviously we want the most effective route.

Do either of these sound good?  Would any sort of mailer just be a waste?  What are your own experiences?

Thanks!
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Jeff Babcock

Re: Your most successful advertising campaigns?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »

The challenge with mail to organizations is ensuring that the mail gets into the proper hands (someone who will not only read the material but have the ability to make decisions on the subject).  You might consider calling some organizations ahead of time to ensure that you have appropriate contacts for them.  The 700MHz issue is an important one, however it is a challenge to produce materials to attract attention to this when clients are already so saturated with excessive marketing.

Best of luck.

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »

Peter Etheredge wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 20:53

In short:  Doing the gigs to a high standard and making clients happy.

My conclusion has been that it's very hard to advertise in such a manner that the people you want to read the ad actually see it:

- Trade rags for sound people are basically read by your competition, no point there.
- Local paper, by the time you reach who you want you have spent a bunch of money on reaching a zillion people who are uninterested.
- Trade rags for hotel/restaurant people:  Wine guy gets the wine rag, food guy gets the food supplies rag, manager gets the travel and living rag, etc.  Hard to reach the actual people you need.
- Internet.  You ned to be there, but by the time you get somone to look you up there you usually have already made a verbal/phone sales pitch to them.
- Billboards:  Same as local paper.

The only trade rag I can think of that might make sense to advertise in are the ones that sell sporting supplies etc to local coaches, volunteer sports team managers, etc.  Maybe some of them are looking for somthing for their kick-offs, etc and they typically don't know of anybody beforehand.

If you do weddings you could always leave some cards at a wedding supplies store, if they permit.

The good news is that the typical client has friends in the same business and don't mind sharing "their guy" (typically thinking bars, restaurants, hotels, convention centers, etc here).  Also, employees in these businesses typically change jobs often and often bring "their guy" with them.  See my first sentence Smile

Best of luck - spend wisely! Smile

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 17:11

Peter Etheredge wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 20:53

In short:  Doing the gigs to a high standard and making clients happy.

I'm proud to say that I feel as if we are already doing this and it really does pay off.

Thanks for the input!
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Gus Housen

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »

Having a decent web page has been best, but when it comes down to it "cold calling" Is a better way than mailers. Mailers only work with fairs and festivals and you should still only expect a 1-2% return. I have found out getting out and networking with local service organizations, hoteliers, and venues pays off the best. We are working on a "muffin/Donut basket" go direct to the venue drop off a basket with some muffins ( if its a agent scotch works better) and a flyer or newsletter and follow up with a call.
You rock...We roll!

Art Welter

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »

Over the course of twelve years of mailing out hundreds of nicely done, quite expensive brochures to people I had not actually contacted by telephone or in person, I had zero results that could be attributed to them.

The brochures were a help if an actual contact had been made, though I was using print before the internet was in wide use.

I think it more likely phone contact followed by web information would get better results than mailing.

Caleb Dick

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »

Networking.  

As a potential client, would you rather communicate with someone via:
In person
Phone
Internet - web site and email
Radio and/or TV
Flier
Yellow pages
Other (logos on apparel and trucks, business cards, etc)

I see more long-term work come from relationships and word of mouth than anything.  Everything else is good to keep your name in front of potential clients, but usually past experience or even past experience of a trusted source is the deciding factor.  

Advertisements as most of us know them seem to work better for consumer products/services.  For professionals, emphasizing service, capabilities, and better-than-planned events without stress and hassle is more important.  I have been told a lot that people hire their friends, aka those they trust.  On the sales side - genuine, long-term relationships are the 95% that seals the deal after the 5% of marketing/advertising.

Caleb  
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:38:35 AM »

Gus Housen wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 18:44

Having a decent web page has been best, but when it comes down to it "cold calling" Is a better way than mailers. Mailers only work with fairs and festivals and you should still only expect a 1-2% return. I have found out getting out and networking with local service organizations, hoteliers, and venues pays off the best. We are working on a "muffin/Donut basket" go direct to the venue drop off a basket with some muffins ( if its a agent scotch works better) and a flyer or newsletter and follow up with a call.

How about a Scotch and Muffin basket for multi-layer marketing? Very Happy

Where "Cheers" really means something...
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:07 AM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 15 April 2010 06:38

Gus Housen wrote on Wed, 14 April 2010 18:44

How about a Scotch and Muffin basket for multi-layer marketing? Very Happy
sounds like a good breakfast to me!
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Gus Housen

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »

The marketing becomes really affective about an hour into the bottle of scotch.
You rock...We roll!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.