ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinion's on Bose speakers?..  (Read 53920 times)

Eddie Czubinski

Re: Opinion's on Bose speakers?..
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »

Someone once told me this saying

"no highs no lows must be Bose"

I agree with it, but thats just my opinion.

Guy Johnson

• http://www.myspace.com/johnsonsound
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2010, 06:45:35 AM »

Eddie Czubinski wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 04:18

I totally disagree with 'it' ... I'll use Anything That Sounds Good. Period.

As mentioned earlier Bose have very useful applications. Tools are tools are tools... they need to be applied to the correct situations.

Catch-all slogans are just so inaccurate: "no highs no lows" would really apply to cheap 12/15-and-horn boxes, and the eejits who can't or won't use an 802s or 802s/302s with the correct system-controller are shall we say, eccentric? ... Music shops loved to do that to sell cheap crap to gullible customers. I used to love pointing out to these people that with the 'other bit' the 802s would piss all over the usual Pevey/H&H/Etc

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »

Here's some very interesting reading:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

John Chiara

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 11:13:02 AM »

Paul Bell wrote on Mon, 05 April 2010 21:59

I had met Amar years ago and he didn’t like the line of questioning I had for him and he stopped taking my questions.

When they first “developed” a remote control, they sent somebody out to buy a universal remote. They opened it up, copied it and made their own. They closed up the one they bought and returned it for a refund.

They vigorously sue anybody using what they claim is their ideas. The sixth order bandpass sub is one that comes to mind.

You can keep your Bose.

That line of rationale and litigation....normal cult routine.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Eddie Czubinski

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »

Now correct me if I'm wrong because I am not 100% sure on this but isn't the system controller basically an EQ that is used to give their speakers a good sound. That is what I have head from many people. If I am wrong please tell me. But if I am right if the speakers are so good why do they need an EQ. I my opinion an EQ is for getting rid of feedback and correcting the room the speakers are in, but I'm no expert.

edit: typo

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »

Eddie, your exact question is what I had for Amir years ago.

A few weeks ago, I did sound for a yearly street festival. It was non stop Latin bands, mostly very amateurish. While during each band’s setup, many oddly un-plugged from our DI boxes and went direct, one act came on with a Bose stick system with a little Behringer mixer on it and after unplugging from us, plugged into it. Halfway through their first song, we were frantically un-plugging from it and swapping back to our DI & snake. This speaker and what it did was a flat out joke and embarrassment. Guess who it made look bad? Of course, everybody blamed the sound company, me. Nice. A properly and well setup and tuned BASSMAXX/McCauley/QSC/Ashly/APB PA system and these idiots figured their crappy Bose system was better and they knew better than us.

I can’t fathom what would move otherwise intelligent people to be duped into buying such worthless garbage. They need to have their heads examined.
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

Chris Boschen Leonard

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »

As an installer, I've worked with many bose products over the years. I liked their old 901 consumer speakers, and their noise cancelling headphones work well too. However, bose also puts out lots of product that is total crap, such as their entire home entertainment line, their clock radios, and others.

I've heard the L1 sticks in a variety of settings, with different program material, and I haven't been very impressed. They are about enough for a small jazz band in a decent room with 150 peeps, in my opinion. They would probably be great for a classroom setting, or on corporate stuff that was vox only. Every time I've seen them in larger settings with a band, they were being pushed, and you could hear it.

The main reason I dislike bose, however, is for their habit of using totally proprietary connectors and setups for their consumer gear. Anyone who has had to integrate these systems into a larger audio setup knows what crap they are. From my look at the L1s, it would appear bose is still following that model. And while I have used some bose gear that works well, it's in the minority, and that gear was never a part of the pro audio market.

Spend your money on some real speaker boxes and amps--there are plenty of excellent combos that simply smoke the L1s for less money.      
Chris Leonard
Principal,
Boschen Technologies
www.boschen.org

Bob Leonard

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

Guy Johnson wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 06:45

Eddie Czubinski wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 04:18

I totally disagree with 'it' ... I'll use Anything That Sounds Good. Period.

As mentioned earlier Bose have very useful applications. Tools are tools are tools... they need to be applied to the correct situations.

Catch-all slogans are just so inaccurate: "no highs no lows" would really apply to cheap 12/15-and-horn boxes, and the eejits who can't or won't use an 802s or 802s/302s with the correct system-controller are shall we say, eccentric? ... Music shops loved to do that to sell cheap crap to gullible customers. I used to love pointing out to these people that with the 'other bit' the 802s would piss all over the usual Pevey/H&H/Etc
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Guy Johnson

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »

Eddie Czubinski wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 17:50

Now correct me if I'm wrong because I am not 100% sure on this but isn't the system controller basically an EQ that is used to give their speakers a good sound. That is what I have head from many people. If I am wrong please tell me. But if I am right if the speakers are so good why do they need an EQ. I my opinion an EQ is for getting rid of feedback and correcting the room the speakers are in, but I'm no expert.

edit: typo

Yep. You are wrong. Like most sound systems today, the speakers and the controller are an integral part of the system: No controller, no system. Simple.

Guy Johnson

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »

Bob Leonard wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 18:51

Guy,
Just so that you don't think I'm being unfair to the love of your life Bose, let me start by saying I've probably spent more time in their headquarters and screwing around with their product on stage and off than all of the people replying combined.

Simply put the 80x series of wannabe pro sound equipment is junk. I've heard and worked with enough of it in real life to be able to make that an educated statement. And the systems I've heard and worked with from Bose have all been in the hands of professionals.

Now I'm sure that a Bose stick might in some ways sound better than a cheap Peavey box on a stand, in a small bar, or with some vocals only. But you need to pull your head out of the sand. Small trios, houses of worship, home theatre, or my basement. That's where Bose belongs and that's where it should stay.

My last example would be a very well known act in the Boston area who decided their next FOH would be a Bose 80x system. They were not only very disappointed with the performance of the system, but spent more time replacing drivers than actually pushing music and sound through the speakers.

The revelation came one night when I received a call asking for help in an emergency because the Bose wonder speakers were still in the shop. Not a big room, so I showed up with 4ea. Bag End TA-15s and 4ea. Bag End 18" subs. The difference was night and day, the sound far better than they had experienced since they bought the Bose shit, and the cost of the speakers was half of what they paid for the Bose. The Bose speakers were history the next week, gone to " We made a mistake and don't want them anymore. " land.

Bose has a wonderful marketing machine, but rest assured the definition of "professional" is used in the broadest sense. They work well when a church want's a "professional" system, or when Joe Blow wants a "professional system" for his home theatre.

What you can be sure of is that most people who scream Bose usually have had a large dose of the Jim Jones wonder Koolaid and fall into one of three categories.

Those who own Bose and feel they have to defend the purchase, those who install Bose and arrive to your site with Dixie cups and a full pitcher, and those who have not been exposed to systems in the same price range that simply just kick the shit out of Bose. Which of these are you?

Not sure you got my point ... Bose make products that do a very good job in some gigs . All I'm saying is that:

1) Bose gear sounds great in the right environment, same with any decent technology, which is more than cheap gear does.

2) All I care about is good sound in gigs, and if Bose is a good tool for the job, what's the problem?

3) You may well have done loads of stuff with, and hate Bose gear. Maybe it is because it's used in the wrong environment. I don't know. All I know is that in the right environment Bose make very good gear that's muso and amateur (as well as pro) friendly over the years that has helped improve live sound ... and ... surprise ... So Have May Other gear-makers, who compete in our weird world of audio in rooms. Which improves gigs from tiny to big.

4) If I come across something that kicks the "shit out of Bose", I'll use it. But in many environments, Bose gear, like it or not, performs brilliantly and easily for many bands, promotors and gigs, from grass-roots and those gigs and events that don't need the correct (non-Bose) gear to produce the right sounds...

BTW, I don't have any Bose stuff at the moment — and because I defend a product against unscientific prejudice doesn't make it a love of my life, or make all of its products brilliant.

So there.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up