ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinion's on Bose speakers?..  (Read 53910 times)

mark anderson

• http://www.monroecrossing.com
Re: Opinion's on Bose speakers?..
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 07:59:44 PM »

Anyone heard the K-Array KR200? Looks a lot like (and priced close to) the Phil Jones offering.
Those who willfully refuse to learn from history condemn the rest of us to repeating it.

My band: http://www.monroecrossing.com
My forum: http://www.BluegrassForum.com

Gary Perrett

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »

I have heard the L1 system in several applications. An intimate lounge acoustic setup, and the same location as sound reinforcement for a small rock band, and several other locations as primary reinforcement for a Journey tribute band.

The guy who has these is a dealer.. and has a pair with 4 subs. He plays solo, hosts a "jam" and plays in a 'Journey' like band. I also do sound for this band in larger venues and outdoor shows...I also play the same rooms with other bands and DJ/KJ apps...

My impressions? Harsh when pushed even a little. Ya, the subs are small, but ineffective for anything more than acoustic gigs, even with 4. I think it's ridiculous to even discuss them for a small band. Maybe a jazz trio, or acoustic group with the system in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing, but not a live rock band. I have heard them several times with the above mentioned band and you simply can't hear the vocals, there is no separation or clarity for the instruments, it just kind of sounds like a background din, or as mentioned, when pushed harsh and nasal. It might be good for those that just came to the bar to talk and mingle, but getting the message across ain't happening.

They have even resorted to using a pair of BEH 15" powered crap slingers to try and get the vocals out.

These are typical users that don't have a clue about sound, and they just plug in their BEH mixer and let her fly...it just doesn't fly very well, or far.

NOT a Bose fan...
G
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Stavross (Sam Buck)

• http://www.thereverb.net
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:45 PM »

Gary Perrett wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 11:02

I have heard the L1 system in several applications. An intimate lounge acoustic setup, and the same location as sound reinforcement for a small rock band, and several other locations as primary reinforcement for a Journey tribute band.

The guy who has these is a dealer.. and has a pair with 4 subs. He plays solo, hosts a "jam" and plays in a 'Journey' like band.

Arch Allies?
Wanted in three states for breaking ohm's law.

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »

Guy Johnson wrote on Wed, 07 April 2010 19:24

I know nothing about the stick things. Nothing.

But. Bose 802/302, no matter they were costly – so is a lot of good gear – showed up the crap and utter rubbish stuff that posed as 'professional' gear.

Sorry, but how can you make that statement? During the mid to late '70's, for instance, a Northwest JBL would blow the doors off any 802 for SPL, fidelity, and power sensitivity. 802's were terribly power hungry, bandwidth limited products - regardless of whether you had their active equalizer box in series with the signal or not. Dave D is right that their portability is what sold them, but every group I personally knew that owned them couldn't wait to get their hands on better sounding, more efficient, rigs. Pushed hard, 802's and 302 subs simply crumble sonically - every time.
While I do agree that 802's have their place, to say that they blew the doors off of other "established" pro audio products is just not so.
Respectfully,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Stuart Pendleton

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »

"Sure, I'll swap you my Voice of The Theatre's for those Bose cabs....."

I don't think I ever heard those words pass anyone's lips back then.....unless they had a hernia.
I am the luckiest man in the world because I'm married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!

This should have been my company's slogan:
"More bars in more places."  AT&T

Guy Johnson

• http://www.myspace.com/johnsonsound
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »

Mike {AB} Butler wrote on Thu, 08 April 2010 11:59

Guy Johnson wrote on Wed, 07 April 2010 19:24

I know nothing about the stick things. Nothing.

But. Bose 802/302, no matter they were costly – so is a lot of good gear – showed up the crap and utter rubbish stuff that posed as 'professional' gear.

Sorry, but how can you make that statement? During the mid to late '70's, for instance, a Northwest JBL would blow the doors off any 802 for SPL, fidelity, and power sensitivity. 802's were terribly power hungry, bandwidth limited products - regardless of whether you had their active equalizer box in series with the signal or not. Dave D is right that their portability is what sold them, but every group I personally knew that owned them couldn't wait to get their hands on better sounding, more efficient, rigs. Pushed hard, 802's and 302 subs simply crumble sonically - every time.
While I do agree that 802's have their place, to say that they blew the doors off of other "established" pro audio products is just not so.
Respectfully,

I respectfully have to disagree. Where were the Northwest JBLs? Nowhere where I was! I disagree that those Bose were bandwidth-limited, except at the very extremes of the frequency-range. What about the "competition" at the time? (except the Really, Really Good Stuff, rarely seen and heard). They were the ghastly boxes otherwise found at most Bose 802/302– sized gigs... They were multiply peaky, with really uneven dispersions... and they sounded even worse up close. Whereas the Bose were smooth, with good dispersions, and ... still sounded good up-close! And, remember, with the controllers being out of circuit — the Bose are not a system without them, it does no good to a discussion to mention that...

I also disagree about power. Give them better and more powerful amps than the admittedly not very good Bose amps, and they were brilliant. Still are in some applications.

Sure, better products have come along along, and the 802s, especially on their own, were not idiot-proof; forget bass transients with no subs.

I stick with my claim quoted above.

The 'Bose' gigs I went to were so much better than almost all others, that that fact eventually sunk into my gigged brian. Before I stated engineering. They sounded so much better, especially the vocal/acoustic guitar, jazz bands, and decent rock bands. I had no issues, no prejudices, I just noted what I heard — gigs that sounded close to the expensive home systems I heard, at last! So I started using Boses, then later on, other and better things. Even now, sometimes the Bose still suit some applications. They are tools, applicable as are all other tools, to situations that suit. Would I buy them now? No. That wasn't the point of my comments.

And are there better things now? Of course!

Anthony Robinson

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »

Depends what you use them for 500 people in a dj set they can be ok but for the most part get something better. Peavy JBL HK Turbosound all work

Gary Perrett

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 08:29:15 PM »

Yo Stavros... it's actually Atlantis:
http://www.atlantisrockmusic.com/ formerly Escape...I've never seen Arch Allies. Done plenty of the states great bands but not them. So many good bands have folded here due to lack of places to play. The economy, the smoking ban and overzealous enforcement have closed most of the bars around here that had live music. I'll check them out! thanks..
G  
We the few who have done so much, for so long, with so little, now feel we can do everything with nothing...

Tracy Stewart

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »

I have been working with pro audio for 20 plus years.  I have used many types of speakers and Bose does have a place in the pro audio scheme.  I have used the 802 series II and they are great for small to medium sized venues.  Alot of the folks on this forum do not like bose.  It depends on your use as to whether it will work for you.  It is NOT accepted in the pro audio market by musicians if you are providing sound for them!!  I have just purchased an L1 series 1.  I do admit the B1 bass unit SUCKS.  Pair this unit with a black widow 18 sub and it kicks butt.  Great for dj, solo artist, gospel group, and smaller uses.  Vocals are very pronounced and I really love singing with this unit.  I recently scaled down my operation and no longer do sound for bands.  I sold my srx-722f jbl cabinets.  You cannot compare the bose to the jbl, it is simply a different animal.  I do really love the versatility and size of the L1 array and do reccomend it if you are doing sound for yourself in a smaller scheme.  You get alot of gain before feedback if you used a shure sm58 and use the reccomended setting in the unit.  The 802 is also great for churches, gospel groups, and other small to medium size operations.  You MUST run the eq with it to get the right sound.  Just my .02 worth.

Ben Lagman

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »

Tracy Stewart wrote on Fri, 02 July 2010 21:43

I have been working with pro audio for 20 plus years.  I have used many types of speakers and Bose does have a place in the pro audio scheme.  I have used the 802 series II and they are great for small to medium sized venues.  Alot of the folks on this forum do not like bose.  It depends on your use as to whether it will work for you.  It is NOT accepted in the pro audio market by musicians if you are providing sound for them!!  I have just purchased an L1 series 1.  I do admit the B1 bass unit SUCKS.  Pair this unit with a black widow 18 sub and it kicks butt.  Great for dj, solo artist, gospel group, and smaller uses.  Vocals are very pronounced and I really love singing with this unit.  I recently scaled down my operation and no longer do sound for bands.  I sold my srx-722f jbl cabinets.  You cannot compare the bose to the jbl, it is simply a different animal.  I do really love the versatility and size of the L1 array and do reccomend it if you are doing sound for yourself in a smaller scheme.  You get alot of gain before feedback if you used a shure sm58 and use the reccomended setting in the unit.  The 802 is also great for churches, gospel groups, and other small to medium size operations.  You MUST run the eq with it to get the right sound.  Just my .02 worth.

Yeah, it depends on the type of application it's used for. For most part IMO (now, after I learned more about it), I think it's just over marketed, over rated, speakers. Sure they sound great, but they are wimpy. I mean, I doubt they can get up to 126 dB, which can be easily beaten with most speakers now on the market. There are far superior quality speakers out there, that can get louder, and are just better all around. I guess it depends on how you use it. Another thing about it that I don't like about it is, you can't change the volume of each individual woofer. So basically, if I do a gig, and people want to dance, a lot of the sound is bounced off of a whole crowd of people, and the ones on the bottom are at the same volume as the top.

Also, not to be rude by all means, but this post was made in the very beginning of April...
“Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option”

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.