ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitors placed on center cluster of subs  (Read 4667 times)

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
Monitors placed on center cluster of subs
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »

Has anyone had any issues with placing monitors on top of center cluster of subs as to make more stage room?
I've tried it a couple times, but seem to get weird feedback issues.  I have my monitors cut off around 100.  Do you thing it's having issues with those frequencies that both the monitors and subs may be receiving?  I run my subs as "aux fed".  My vocals mics are not sent to the subs.

Any suggestions, as a lot of my venues would benefit from putting my monitors on the subs in front of the stage.

Thank you,
Randall

MODIFY/ADD:
I generally use Audix OM5 or 7 for vocals mics.  I have the hi-pass turned on for those channels on the board (GL2800).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:40:53 PM by Randall Cook »

Mike Bamber

• Live Sound Hire Ltd
Re: Monitors placed on center cluster of subs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »

Probably a coincidence- something to do with the proximity of subs to your mics?

Todd Cooke

• Williamsburg, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »

I also don't think it has anything to do with the placement on top of the subs.  However, If you have the monitors center stage splayed outwards or inwards towards the downstage mic positions, you are probably getting feedback off of the side of your downstage vocal mics.  Try switching to a super-cardioid mic like a beta 58, and see if that solves the problem. 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »

You might also consider raising the HP on the vocal mics unless you have a Basso Profundo. Most vocals don't get down very low.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Brad Harris

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »

I've tried it a couple times, but seem to get weird feedback issues.MODIFY/ADD:

So what is your 'weird' feedback issues? ..... rather than suggesting things since we don't know what your problem is?

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:10:23 PM »

So what is your 'weird' feedback issues? ..... rather than suggesting things since we don't know what your problem is?

Well, my issue is feedback will come out of nowhere, it seems.  And it will remain constant at a lower frequency.  It's just very different than the usual "singer gets the mic too close to monitor, etc."  I usually never have feedback issues.  It's just the couple times I've tried to put my monitors on the subs, it seems like there's an issue.

Maybe I'll try it again and see what happens.

Stavross (Sam Buck)

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »

Well, my issue is feedback will come out of nowhere, it seems.  And it will remain constant at a lower frequency.  It's just very different than the usual "singer gets the mic too close to monitor, etc."  I usually never have feedback issues.  It's just the couple times I've tried to put my monitors on the subs, it seems like there's an issue.

Maybe I'll try it again and see what happens.

I'd see if you can get it with just the monitors and the mains off.

Rick Byers

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:20 AM »

I've done this quite a bit, and never had any issues.
Having said that I do tend to HPF my mons at around 180-200Hz, to avoid stage/bass rumble.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.