ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen Pro II vs DiVentix II  (Read 4637 times)

Al Zara

Screen Pro II vs DiVentix II
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:56:48 AM »

Hello All,
I've been researching a new scalar/switcher. Have used the Barco/Folsom screen pro II often but found the analog way DiVentixII and decided to give it a try. Seems that bang for buck the DV (DiVentixII) does way more, having more HD/SDI inputs, Multiview Preview/Main Out put through the video out. Being able to blend the 2 outputs to do 16x9 with multiple projectors.

Ok I've been in front of this thing for the last several days and it just does not feel right. the PIP's are glitchy it seems very slugish compared to the SPII.

Can someone that has used both chime in and give me their opinions as far as comparability.

I guess I need a sanity check...the SPII either works or does not. I have scoured the internal menus od the DVII and think I have everything set right but yet I feel like I'm not doing something right.

Thanks in advance!

You know 220v, 221v, whatever it takes!!!

Karl P(eterson)

Re: Screen Pro II vs DiVentix II
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »

I'm opposite of you, I have analog way gear and have only ever tried barco gear. My thoughts of the barco were/are that it seemed faster, a little more predictable on the effects (pip's etc) and overall "felt" better.

That said I have never had a bad experience on the Analog way gear, it just doesn't seem to feel the same. Again, this is from a rather short demo period as opposed to actually owning the gear.

Analog way has had good support however, the few times I have needed it.

I am however really digging using broadcast switchers these days then just take the switched output to whatever I need to display or manipulate it. Whether we go straight into a projector, into an HDSDI -> DVI for flat panel displays, or even into a spyder to bridge multiple disparate output display systems.

Obviously you have to deal with input conversions and a lot of different "gotchas" however you do get insanely smooth control surfaces, very quick control surfaces, long distance cabling over a single coax, and you can bring in (hdsdi) cameras with minimal lag (so long as the projectors or output scaler you are using doesn't introduce a lot of it's own).

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Ken Freeman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:40:34 AM »

Hello Al,

We buy and use a lot of this high end A/V stuff, and if you pick the right situation, you can make all of it shine, or choke. I have in inventory Barco, Extron, Analog way and Vista parts that qualify as scalars and/or switchers depending upon how you use them.  I was an early adopter of Analog way parts (611) and then Extron (SGS-408) then the beloved Vista Montage and now use Folsom (Barco) SP-11's, Encore and ImagePro HD's pretty much exclusively.

I have found that in the support and care and feeding of these that Barco service is far and away the best.  No one has to call France, I don't have to figure out the nine digit part number while digging through the call in support system and if you think I would buy another Vista product after the montage, hell would be frozen for years.

For ease of use and general acceptance by our clients, Barco wins hands down. For long term support, Barco.  If you have an application where you are doing an install and can work around Analog Way's need to try and stuff every widget know to man into every product instead of just making it work really well at one thing, then buy all means it may be a good fit.

I know Barco has a few things up there sleeve, but I am not at liberty to discuss.  What I can say is that Barco are the products we bet the farm on every day and once in a while, I will lock one up, and can usually get Chris, Eric, Tim or John on the phone in minutes to help us sort it out.  That is why I keep sending them checks.

Ken

Don Boone

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:13:12 PM »

I have never had a positive experience with any Analog Way equipment. Less than 10 uses/installs but there has always some aspect of the gear that disapoints.

Don

Al Zara

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »

Thanks all for your opinions...
It seems that I'm not loosing my mind.
You know 220v, 221v, whatever it takes!!!

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »

Ken Freeman wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 00:40

Hello I have found that in the support and care and feeding of these that Barco service is far and away the best.  No one has to call France, I don't have to figure out the nine digit part number while digging through the call in support system and if you think I would buy another Vista product after the montage, hell would be frozen for years.

For ease of use and general acceptance by our clients, Barco wins hands down. For long term support, Barco.  If you have an application where you are doing an install and can work around Analog Way's need to try and stuff every widget know to man into every product instead of just making it work really well at one thing, then buy all means it may be a good fit.

I know Barco has a few things up there sleeve, but I am not at liberty to discuss.  What I can say is that Barco are the products we bet the farm on every day and once in a while, I will lock one up, and can usually get Chris, Eric, Tim or John on the phone in minutes to help us sort it out.  That is why I keep sending them checks.

As often happens, in recent years my experience has been the opposite.  I used to deal with Barco a lot, even doing some work with them when they had an office here.  I now have multiple direct contacts at Analog Way but have had no contacts at Barco for several years.  I have no trouble talking to someone with Analog Way at the trade shows while the Barco people in the booth seem too preoccupied with talking to each other and watching the videos to actually bother to help anyone coming into the booth.  The last time I tried to get some product information and budgetary pricing for a project from Barco they never even responded.  Barco has always had some good products but for the last few years I have found their support to be virtually non-existent.  And based on feedback from others, I am apparently not the only Consultant to have this type of experience over that time.  

Just FYI, a number of the Barco/Folsom products were originally co-created by Folsom Research and FSR and are also available as FSR products.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Ken Freeman

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:53:01 AM »

Brad Weber wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 20:34

Ken Freeman wrote on Sun, 28 March 2010 00:40

Hello I have found that in the support and care and feeding of these that Barco service is far and away the best.  No one has to call France, I don't have to figure out the nine digit part number while digging through the call in support system and if you think I would buy another Vista product after the montage, hell would be frozen for years.

As often happens, in recent years my experience has been the opposite.  I used to deal with Barco a lot, even doing some work with them when they had an office here.  I now have multiple direct contacts at Analog Way but have had no contacts at Barco for several years.  I have no trouble talking to someone with Analog Way at the trade shows while the Barco people in the booth seem too preoccupied with talking to each other and watching the videos to actually bother to help anyone coming into the booth.  The last time I tried to get some product information and budgetary pricing for a project from Barco they never even responded.  Barco has always had some good products but for the last few years I have found their support to be virtually non-existent.  And based on feedback from others, I am apparently not the only Consultant to have this type of experience over that time.  

Just FYI, a number of the Barco/Folsom products were originally co-created by Folsom Research and FSR and are also available as FSR products.

I got nothing for you Brad.  I have been schooled a number of times on the history. I have known some of these guys for 20 years in many aspects of the business.  I suspect it is much the same for you.  See you at NAB?

Ken

Brad Weber

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »

I think it may be the same story I have seen with many manufacturers, they seem to go through cycles of focusing on or supporting different groups and for some time now Barco has seemed to have their focus shifted away from consultants on much more toward rental and staging and production companies.  That is a business decision and I respect it as such as long as they respect the results in the other direction (I can't specify a product when I can't get pricing or support for it).

This is an issue that comes up many times regarding consultants being product/manufacturer independent.  We try to be and may be contractually and financially independent from manufacturers but that does not mean that we consider any manufacturer, issues such as support provided for both us and our Clients definitely does factor into product selection just as it does for dealers and contractors.

Probably won't make NAB this year, too many work commitments and family health issues to deal with.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.