ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC KW Series  (Read 36037 times)

Scott Hibbard

QSC KW Series
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »

For a while now we've been speculating about lighter, wooden cabs from QSC (HPR replacements?).  QSC annouced the KW Series today.  Looks to be the same drivers (?), amps etc. in the K Series, but these are wooden cabs.

Might be some other small differences I didn't pick up on versus the K Series.  They are indeed lighter than the HPR series.  The KW122 is 12 pounds lighter than the HPR122.  The KW152 is 35 pounds lighter than the HPR152. QSC did what most were asking for - lighter, powered wooden cabs.  

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/KW_Series/index.ph p

ScottH

Duncan McLennan

Re: QSC KW Series
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:32:43 PM »

Sweet.

I mentioned a while ago that a wooden powered box with a narrow horn would probably be a big seller.  Looks like QSC has done just that with the 15" box.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Bob Kenton

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:05 PM »

The weight or lack of looks pretty decent. The sub looks to be pretty close to the size of a SRX718 with only about 10 or so more pounds.

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:12 PM »

Ooh...pretty!
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Jonathan Wiegratz

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »

Admittedly I'm a QSC fanboy... and these look nice, but I think QSC didn't really think this through.  These are pretty much birch K-series. Looking at specs side by side, this looks like a compromise between K's and HPR's.  

My question now... why would anyone buy a K-series unless they heavily discount them.

QSC had an opportunity to improve the HPR's and make a HPR "v2",  IE; make a SRX quality-type powered cab... and didn't.  Instead they made something that makes original K-line, for the most part, useless now.

Then again - I could be completely wrong, and these are the new K-series... and they have a new HPR in the works due later this year???

Signed,
Confused in Boston.

Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands - New England Wedding Bands
Turbosound TQ445DP's & QSC GP218 + GP212's | PLX2 Amps
MixWiz3 | DBX 260 | ACP88 | LED Lighting

Bob Kenton

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »

[quote title=Jonathan Wiegratz wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 04:28]Admittedly I'm a QSC fanboy... and these look nice, but I think QSC didn't really think this through.  These are pretty much birch K-series. Looking at specs side by side, this looks like a compromise between K's and HPR's.  

My question now... why would anyone buy a K-series unless they heavily discount them.

QSC had an opportunity to improve the HPR's and make a HPR "v2",  IE; make a SRX quality-type powered cab... and didn't.  Instead they made something that makes original K-line, for the most part, useless now.

Then again - I could be completely wrong, and these are the new K-series... and they have a new HPR in the works due later this year???

Signed,
Confused in Boston.

I dont mean for this post to sound argumentive, just kinda thinking out loud.
The K series amps are based of the new DCA or GX digital amp design while the HPR used the RMX amps.
This also gives the K/KW series better limiting and processing. From what I was told, the limiting is rather new in design for these new powered speakers and the QSC guy's are pretty proud of this.
Saying all this to say, Im thinking this is the "souped up" or "new and improved" HPR line. Or atleast the next run in the ladder!  Laughing

Brian "beeherd" Jones

• http://www.beeherdaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »

I can't figure this release out.

If this is a replacement for the K-Series, where's the 8 and 10?

These are NOT lighter than the K-Series.
 The K-12 weighs 41 lbs., The KW122 weighs 49 lbs.

The sub form factor is similar to the HRP181i, not the K-Sub which has the selling point of being compact.

According to the specs however, the components are the same as the K-Series. Same amps, not sure on drivers.

Maybe their sales figures show not many buying the 8 and 10 or the K-Sub and a lot of requests for wood.

For my purposes, I want to add a small, light, good-sounding powered speaker to my mix of products and I want it to have a mic input. I guess that means I should look at the K-8 or K-10. For the customers that will want those features (small to mid corp. gigs), I think the K-8 would do, but if I figure on letting them double as monitors, musicians will be happier with the K-10 I think and with the weights being 27, 32 and 41 lbs. for the K-8, K-10 and K12 respectively it seems the K-10 would make a great choice. I hope they don't discontinue it... except maybe then I could get a great close out price hehe.
That system looks too loud.

Jonathan Wiegratz

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:10:29 AM »

Bob Kenton wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 01:17

Saying all this to say, Im thinking this is the "souped up" or "new and improved" HPR line. Or atleast the next run in the ladder!  Laughing

I hope you're right, but until we all can listen to them...  the jury is still out!
Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands - New England Wedding Bands
Turbosound TQ445DP's & QSC GP218 + GP212's | PLX2 Amps
MixWiz3 | DBX 260 | ACP88 | LED Lighting

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »

Brian,

Speculation on my part (no facts yet to prove) but I do not think the KW series is a replacement for the K Series, but rather another, perhaps complimentary line.  I believe they will both continue to exist for several reasons:

Presumably the KW series uses the same drivers, amps/electronics as the K series, keeping production costs low.  Perhaps we'll be surprised by the same, or even lower pricing on the KW series than the HPR's?

I believe there will still be a strong market for the K Series. Those wanting a light weight 8" or 10" system - it's a nice fit.  You may also find many using K10's as monitors with the new KW Series as mains.

I believe the unknown at this point is will the KW series replace the HPR series?  Perhaps Bob Lee will chime in soon.

Overall I think a great move on QSC's part.

ScottH

Bob Lee (QSC)

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »

Bob Kenton wrote on Tue, 23 March 2010 22:17

the HPR used the RMX amps

True, the HPR amplification is based on RMX. The KW series uses the 500W+500W class D amp plus universal switch-mode supply module from the K series. The K and KW series amp modules also use DSP, but there are no QSC digital amps.
Bob Lee
Applications Engineer, Tech Services Group QSC Audio
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
www.linkedin.com/in/qscbob

"If it sounds good, it is good."
 -Duke Ellington
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.