ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A Review Of My System, Time To Upgrade  (Read 22232 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: A Review Of My System, Time To Upgrade
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »

My XLS's have actually been really good for me, but the weight of the XTi's are better for me. I think maybe I will go with the XTi's as originally planned (and use System Architect), skip out on the DRPA, and get some GEQ's for the monitors
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »

The DRPA+ has a compressor / limiter which can be configured with much more precision than the simple -3, -6, or -12dB settings in the XTi output limiter.

Both limiters sound kinda crappy though, and as usual, if you are into the limiters, you either didn't bring enough rig for the gig, or the limiter did it's job of protecting the PA from a dropped mic or whatever, and it probably does not matter if it sounded very good as long as no cones were launched.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Rick Powell

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »

Benjamin, I use the processing in my xti's exclusively, and use the 31 band in my Studiolive for main EQ tweaks.  For monitor processing, I use the xti's EQ and hi pass filters to create a monitor curve, and have 4 channels of dbx 31 band to do any further tweaks on the fly.  I do not miss having a Drive Rack for the kind of jobs I do.  IMO the main thing you miss by not having a Drive Rack is that you will need to bring a laptop to the gig if you intend to use System Architect/Band Manager as an interactive tool, while the Drive Rack's capabilities are accessible from the front panel and might be seen as more convenient.  I don't see a whole lot of "capability" that I'm missing by my setup vs. a Drive Rack setup...also, I just need a stereo send from board to amp rack for the mains (where I use the xti's processing for all my crossover capability), while I would need 4 or 6 sends using a Drive Rack setup, assuming I was using it at the board end for x-over capability.
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »

Thanks for confirming guys. I feel better about using the XTi's on the mains and using SA, keeping my XLS for monitors and adding some GEQs and I should be set. I think I would prefer using my laptop over navigating through the front panel of the XTi or even a DRPA.

Now I just need to decide on subs...MRX, SRX, or building my own.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »

I agree.  I'd take a single 18 SRX over a double 18 MRX any day.

Heck, I'd also probably take a pair of SRX 715s over the MRX 525.  Then snag a single used Itech to power the whole rig and be done with it.

It should cost around the same, be nearly as loud, sound a HECK of a lot better, be more expandable, and a lot smaller and lighter.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »

Alright, I think Ive decided to expand my budget a little and go with this:
(2) MRX 525 with a XTi 4000 in Stereo
(2) SRX 728 with (2) XTi 4000 Bridged
NO DRPA

I can get the xti 4000's for $625 each new, so unless someone else has a better used alternative for about $1200, the xti's will have to do for the srx sub duty...this is maxing out my budget.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 10:48:55 PM »

Duncan McLennan wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 18:10

Heck, I'd also probably take a pair of SRX 715s over the MRX 525.

There is a "look factor" that a large cabinet has which a smaller one does not.  When dealing with bar-bands, bigger must be better.  Of course, the opposite can be true with corporate jobs, weddings, etc.  I went with the MRX525 because clueless band guys would assume my competitors' Yamaha 2x15s were better and louder than SRX715s even if that is obviously not the case.

I am kinda torn between buying another pair of MRX525s, or waiting a bit longer to step up to SRX722 or SRX725.  Another topic for another month when I have the cash, but it will sure be a tough choice when the time comes.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Bill Burford

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 02:02:04 AM »

I can vouch for the driverack.
if you use XTi's, I'd say you still need a driverack.
the XTi's have such gradual slopes.
also,
they limit starting at -3dB.  thats half power.
with the drive rack, you can do .5 dB increments and also limit 0dB if you want.
you can also limit to +1 dB (i think) if you want.

the driverack is a great tool.

I'll bet 5 people already said the same thing.. I haven't read everything yet.
I love the XTi amps though.  you COULD use them for everything.. but?  I wont.
write me a cheque and I will tell you a secret you won't forget.  

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 19:40

Alright, I think Ive decided to expand my budget a little and go with this:
(2) MRX 525 with a XTi 4000 in Stereo
(2) SRX 728 with (2) XTi 4000 Bridged
NO DRPA

I can get the xti 4000's for $625 each new, so unless someone else has a better used alternative for about $1200, the xti's will have to do for the srx sub duty...this is maxing out my budget.

I like everything in your rig minus the 4k's bridged. I've yet to have a good show with XTI's on subs. They do fine for anything above 100hz, but they really wimp out on subwoofer duty. You can probably score a used IT4000 for around $1300(maybe less if you get lucky), and that will walk all over what the XTI4000 can do.

Save your pennies and do it right, otherwise you'll be turning around and doing it all over again in a few months.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Bill Burford

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 02:23:29 AM »

This is true!!!

XTi 4000's bridged are working their asses off on sub duty.
they make all the frequencies but they don't push hard at the real low ones..
and they also work really hard.
in small venues.. I would actually say they are great for subs if you don't have to push them.
you may be 'adding' some low end to a few channels with your faders down.

but an ITech will knock your socks off.

its true.  for the price of 2 XTi's, you can get a single used IT8000.

keep in mind however.  if you want to get used to your subs prior to possessing enough power to damage them, you aren't doing anything wrong by using bridged XTi 4000 amps.  

another thing, its not just subs.  ITechs on your tops are better also.
the sweet-spot for an amp channel is 4ohms.
bridging amps is like having 2 ohms per channel in that amp on a 4 ohm cab.
2 ohms is really low for any amp.  you'll get more distortion as well as less life on your amp.
in addition, your amp will be running out of juice.  you might notice that first "kick" always sounds better than the subsequent kicks--- or that first bass "attack" sounds more defined than the rest..
but all in all, the 30 - 40 Hz range just doesn't have the pure "balls" behind it that the cab can really deliver with a bigger amp.
on the other hand, those bigger amps are capable of delivering power beyond the specs of the drivers.  so if something goes wrong in your mix or your limiter, or you get some brown-outs or something.. well, just use your head.
its almost like upgrading from a 600cc motorcycle to a 1000cc motorcycle.
either way, you can't really drop the clutch in 1st at redline.
but either way, you can risk your life at full throttle in 6th.
but if you know what you are doing, at driving speeds (race winning speeds), you all-else-being-same, the liter bike will take a 600 any day of the week.  they weigh the same.  both engines can stall if you don't throttle it when the light turns green.  however, one gives you the tools to win any race decisively.
write me a cheque and I will tell you a secret you won't forget.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.