ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: your top 3 - vocal mics that cut through a loud/dense mix  (Read 16087 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: your top 3 - vocal mics that cut through a loud/dense mix
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »

Mics ARE like Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.

Closest to the pin (highest SPL at the element) wins.

The OM7 and Telefunken M80 work on really loud stages. But mainly because the element is (apparently) closer. They sound great most of the time, but are a problem for folks that have not "practiced" singing into them. They won't help a no-pipes singer on a loud stage.

- But the louder the stage - the more clueless the performer - and the less likely I am to bring out anything other than my cheapest, smelly, bent-up mics. So they get a 58.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Robert Alan

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 20:48

As I've said before, you can't EQ stage wash.  If there's more stage/monitor sound than PA sound, all bets are off.

i guess but then shouldnt everyone just use an OM7, get a really good EQ setup to shape exacly as wanted and super glue the grille to the singers top lip so that they have no choice but to eat the bloody mic!  Very Happy

better still make them swallow a lav. mind you then you might start getting issues where the vocal wont cut through the mix because of too much heartbeat wash! Rolling Eyes

Caleb Dick

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »

Robert Alan wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 16:04

Dick Rees wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 20:48

As I've said before, you can't EQ stage wash.  If there's more stage/monitor sound than PA sound, all bets are off.

i guess but then shouldnt everyone just use an OM7, get a really good EQ setup to shape exacly as wanted and super glue the grille to the singers top lip so that they have no choice but to eat the bloody mic!  Very Happy

better still make them swallow a lav. mind you then you might start getting issues where the vocal wont cut through the mix because of too much heartbeat wash! Rolling Eyes

Or cut the stage wash, get a great sounding mic, and sing loud directly into it.  The reasons for low stage wash are strong; the reasons against seem to be childish egos in the way.   Razz

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »

Tim Weaver wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 14:58

1. SM58
2. SM58
3. Anything else that happens to be there to use.

That would be an SM57 in the third spot.  There always seem to be a couple left over.

These would be my picks.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Robert Alan

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:44 PM »

ok forget loudness or GBF and think more on density. if you can turn a mic up loud but it sounds like mud in the first place you would just have loud mud surely, not something that gets the vocal through/over the mix. as already said i know it would be more about finding a pocket in that particular mix but for arguments sake we could generalise here just a little bit and say that there are some mics that are better at finding pockets than others off the bat no?

Dick Rees

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »

Robert Alan wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 20:41

ok forget loudness or GBF and think more on density. if you can turn a mic up loud but it sounds like mud in the first place you would just have loud mud surely, not something that gets the vocal through/over the mix. as already said i know it would be more about finding a pocket in that particular mix but for arguments sake we could generalise here just a little bit and say that there are some mics that are better at finding pockets than others off the bat no?

No.  There are too many factors in play to put end results onto one piece of gear or portion of the whole.  If the vocal is not part of the mix to begin with nothing will help.  It should by definition be an equal or equitable part of the mix.  
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Tim Padrick

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »

In order to get the vocal on top of the mix, the vocal has to be the only thing that gets louder when you push the fader up.  IME, even if the vocalist does not stay on the grill, the OM7 still gives a better vocal-to-crap ratio than most everything else.

Scott Smith

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:32:15 PM »

Jason Ellis wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 17:02

... perhaps the band is too loud - pull down the "whole band" VCA...ahh vocals now cut through...

+1.  100% full output is ALL you can have.  You decide what rides near that level, and what rides lower.. Shocked
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Maury McCown

• http://www.facebook.com/maury.mccown
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »

I've been using a Beta 87 for about 9 months (I used a good ol' SM58 since the mid-90s) — but I recently snagged an OM-7, and I am LOVING it.

I sing right on top of the grill, too, so it fits my mic technique.

Earl F Young

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »

For a frontline mic, I go with the Audix OM-6 or a Sennheiser e835 to start. I will put up a SM58 if requested, but would rather grab a CAD c195 for most people that say they don't care for the first two I mentioned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.