ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise on Snakes and DI Box's  (Read 17916 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Advise on Snakes and DI Box's/Mark and Liz
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »

Finally, Mark & Liz do not "own" these forums.  In fact, I don't recall even seeing an advertisement for them... but ProSound Web is owned by Electronic Home Publishing, a publisher of trade magazines.  Mark & Liz get great P.R. here because they sell (and design, in some cases) products that meet the needs of many buyers and back that up with terrific sales and service support.  When you call them, you get a real person, not a phone tree and the reply comes from the boss, not someone reading from a script in heavily accented English.

It sounds to me as if your needs cannot be met by EWI products and you're right to make other purchases for yourself.  I do suggest, however, that you actually use EWI products before making claims about their construction, value and target market.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

P.S. - Mark and Liz really are nice! ;D

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 02:09:14 pm »

And use real Neutrik/Switchcraft connectors..not the cheap stuff like this: http://www.audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/XLR_Cord_Ends/ES3MB-GDP/ES3MB-GDP_MXLR_Cutsheet.shtml

Hope this helps!
I would take any EWI copy of a jack or plug long before I'd choose a Switchcraft - they were the only choice 25 years ago, but I've had my fill of the lousy strain relief and constant broken XLRs.

Chris Gruber

Re: Advise on Snakes and DI Box's
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »

I am going to let you in on an industry secret.

Secret?  You must be kidding -  their name is mentioned almost daily on this forum, and they do offer a lot of bang for the buck.  My only question - Do they offer a choice of soup or egg roll with their product? ;)
No soup, but you will get top notch packaging and fast shipping.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Advise on Snakes and DI Box's
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 04:43:12 am »

Back on topic....

Your next upgrade that I see on the horizon is getting some new mains. If you got a pair of k12's you would have one fine little rig. This would allow you to use the 4 k10's for monitors and the k12's for mains. Put all the subs together and drive them from an aux.

While we're at it, you can sell the drive rack PA and use that money to buy 2 more dual 31 band  EQ's. 4 channels for your monitors and 2 channels for the mains. Your powered speakers already have all the crossovers and limiters needed. All the DRPA is doing at this point is EQ, so why not replace it with a handy graphic with big faders that is infinitely easier to operate? This will get you to the land of the 4 monitor mix club rig.

Then for speedy load ins/outs make sure everything is on wheels. Build some simple wood boxes on casters to hold the speakers. 4 k10's in 1 and 2 k12's + subs in the other. Throw the AC and signal cable in there too. The FOH rack has your mixwiz and EQ's pre-cabled. Plus the snake rolls up into the space at the bottom. (hint, get a rack with extra front to rear depth so you can leave the connector pod "down").

Build a case that carries 8-10 tripod stands plus has a pocket for extra's and put all your XLR and mics in there.

Build a ramp for your trailer so that everything rolls in the venue and is easier to pack at the end of the night. And don't forget the tie-downs inside the trailer. You don't want your gear sloshing around in there.

If you get to this point and keep your stuff looking and working nicely, you might find yourself making some money!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:45:07 am by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 09:46:38 am »

I would take any EWI copy of a jack or plug long before I'd choose a Switchcraft - they were the only choice 25 years ago, but I've had my fill of the lousy strain relief and constant broken XLRs.
You have got to be kidding! Have you ever seen/worked with an EWI copy XLR jack?  I have never bought one personally with good reason!... I have had many customers buy them and send to me for assembly. I cant say I was impressed. These are not anywhere near the quality of Neutrik/Switchcraft. I agree they might stand by them and give good support but you cant say they are in the same league as Neutrik/switchcraft.

I know Mark and Liz are so "nice". You are not the first person to say this on the board. I will send them and the whole board a personal apology if you wish me too.

I think they would actually agree that their copies are not quite the quality of Neutrik/Switchcraft.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:32 am »

You have got to be kidding! Have you ever seen/worked with an EWI copy XLR jack?  I have never bought one personally with good reason!... I have had many customers buy them and send to me for assembly. I cant say I was impressed. These are not anywhere near the quality of Neutrik/Switchcraft. I agree they might stand by them and give good support but you cant say they are in the same league as Neutrik/switchcraft.
I have made a second carreer fixing broken Switchcraft things - mostly their plugs - their panel stuff is usually OK, though not in the same category as Neutrik.  Generally speaking Neutrik products are well made - no argument there.  I have moved to only buy EWI Starline XLR cables because they are really nicely made and hold up very well - not something I can say for anything with a Switchcraft plug on it.  If you want the Neutrik version - those are available - but I haven't found the need to pay up for those.  I have had good service from my EWI snake, but admit I have only been on the user side of that - it hasn't broken, so I haven't had to work with any of the panel jacks.

I know Mark and Liz are so "nice". You are not the first person to say this on the board. I will send them and the whole board a personal apology if you wish me too.

I was teasing you as it seems you believe that niceness is all they offer, and we're all fooled by their niceness into buying worthless junk from them.  Mark and Liz need no apology from you - nor business from you, for that matter, if that's your choice. 

Their reputation for good quality (or probably better defined as feature set - their products are designed to a reasonable price point and certainly have some compromises compared to money is no object offerings from other folks) products and good customer service, with "niceness" as frosting is enough for me to remain a customer.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »

You have got to be kidding! Have you ever seen/worked with an EWI copy XLR jack?  I have never bought one personally with good reason

The books of Ecclesiastes and Proverbs are attributed to King Solomon.  Along with the book of Job, they constitute what scholars refer to as the Wisdom Literature of the Old Testament.

In Proverbs 26:4-5, Solomon records two apparently contradictory statements:   "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself"   and then  "Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes."     Obviously, both can be true.    Solomon expected his readers to learn Wisdom by discerning the appropriate response in a given circumstance.

Those of us following and sometimes replying to your comments about EWI gear and a Kool & The Gang rider have been challenged these last few days to know which of Solomon's principles would best apply.     
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Credibility Meter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »

I think Mark and Liz might own this board or at least financially contribute to it!

Steven Leonard Credibility Meter now hovering somewhere around minus infinity......
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Re: EWI
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 02:09:21 pm »

You are absolutely right how dare someone say something negative about EWI products.

I get that they are nice and I can appreciate that in some aspects.

My opinion is that their gear quality, particularly connectors and snakes isn't quite up to pro quality. Am I out of line saying that? This board definitely throws them good PR and with some good reason. Their cases are a great value and quality for the price. I own a couple myself. However, sometimes I think people on this board just recommend them because it is what everyone else says.

Definitely my opinion.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »

My opinion is that their gear quality, particularly connectors and snakes isn't quite up to pro quality. Am I out of line saying that?

You are entitled to your opinion.....no matter how mistaken it may be.

No soup for you!!!!!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.