ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULX, SLX, PGX ???  (Read 32315 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: Shure ULX, SLX, PGX ???
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 07:31:02 pm »

Charles Wick wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 02:40

Ok, so here is my question. I am looking at the Shure wireless mic systems. I know that there are the PG, PGX, SLX, ULX, etc. Pertaining to the PGX, SLX, and ULX systems only, assuming that they all had the SM58 mic, and if I wanted only 6 systems max to use at one time, is there any really big need to purchase a ULX or SLX over the PGX? (This is for installed sound at a church, used 3 times a week.) Thanks.

Can't say enough about the ULX stuff.  It's really great for the money IMO.  The receivers, handhelds and beltpacks are mostly plastic, but very durable.  Do yourself a favor and buy the ULXS (Standard) series.  The ULXP (Professional) has a bunch of pretty useless features for what you want to do.  With six units, just pop in your zip code on the Shure website and it will give you a group and channels to set your gear to and you'll be golden.  I've never, ever, had any RF issues with these units in small numbers and they sound fantastic.  You'll save about $200-300 on the S series vs. the P.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Charles Wick

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »

Thanks everybody! Your input has been very interesting and assisting in my search. Keep them coming, please. Like I mentioned, I only need 6, not more, so the number of receivers is not that much of a big deal. Also, when I said SM58, it was just for a assumption. If I do get these, it will be a higher grade mic. Keep up the great work everybody.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 07:44:08 am »

The Sennheisers, even the 100 series, are more frequency agile and sound at least as good as the Shures.  In addition, IMHO the Sennheiser capsules sound better than the Shures.

Andrew McDonald

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »

Henry,
I have noted your RF comments before and are not sure of how busy your spectrum is BUT at least you have a spectrum to work in! In Australia the "Digital Dividend" (the catch phrase that our esteemed government call the sell off of the air waves) is still in the "Green Paper" (work in progress)stage and all that is known with any certainty is that 698 - 820 will be unavailable from 2013. In the meantime the where I live a very unique location, every channel from 28 to 69 bar 4 has a TV station on it. After the loss of the top end of the spectrum and the restacking of the channels I really don’t know what is going to happen. Wooo Scary I really do live in interesting times!!!!!
Cheers,
Andrew

Jeff Foster

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »

Tim Padrick wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 06:44

The Sennheisers, even the 100 series, are more frequency agile and sound at least as good as the Shures.

I second that.

Tim Padrick wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 06:44

IMHO the Sennheiser capsules sound better than the Shures.

Mine too.

Years ago we used all Shure mics in our main system.  As time has progressed and new microphones have come out, we have found less and less use for the Shure mics.  Now, all but one of them have been relegated to the Youth system, the portable system, or just sitting in storage.

Our main system uses all Audix and Audio-Technica wired mics, and Sennheiser and Audio-Technica Wireless.  
Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton Texas
www.nsbcc.org

Henry Cohen

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 05:55:44 pm »

Andrew McDonald wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 13:06

I have noted your RF comments before and are not sure of how busy your spectrum is BUT at least you have a spectrum to work in! In Australia the "Digital Dividend" (the catch phrase that our esteemed government call the sell off of the air waves) is still in the "Green Paper" (work in progress)stage and all that is known with any certainty is that 698 - 820 will be unavailable from 2013. In the meantime the where I live a very unique location, every channel from 28 to 69 bar 4 has a TV station on it. After the loss of the top end of the spectrum and the restacking of the channels I really don’t know what is going to happen. Wooo Scary I really do live in interesting times!!!!!

Andrew - It's difficult for me to address your issue as I have very little knowledge of Australia's spectrum allocations, intentions, or were to find the applicable legal and regulatory statutes (or even if your government is open enough to make such documents public, though I suspect it is).

If you can find the actual legislation and regulatory statutes to read, and not rely on third party summations or rants, you should be able to ascertain your government's intentions to a reasonable certainty. If you can't easily find the information, maybe a struggling law student could be of assistance for a few dollars.
Henry Cohen
Production Radio Rentals
----------------------------------
"Every new radio emitter since Marconi’s 2nd transmitter has caused interference to other systems!" - Michael Marcus, Oct '07

Andrew McDonald

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 07:27:30 pm »

O Henry,
I do apologise, I did not ask for your help, not that I would be ungrateful given your vast experience, as I am only too aware of my government's intentions, albeit the requirement for a single bandwidth world wide for international roaming of mobile phones and other wireless equipment for future data casting is paramount.

The "Digital Revolution" our government calls it. Wait do I notice a trend here? Every policy appears to have a spin word attached to it. "Thinks to self.... How can one so young be so cynical?" For me it only means that eventually I will be swapping out many many many more radio microphone systems than I would otherwise have. For me this can only be a good thing.

Perhaps I should not respond to off topic rants, hey I thought the fact that I living in an area with 37 UHF FTA digital and analog terrestial TV channels with a number of the digital channels being transmitted and retransmitted in both horizontal and vertical planes on the same channel in a 22 Km area is a bit busy.

This is all a bit tongue in cheek as the old Chinese saying goes "May you live in interesting times", I love the possibilities of the future. Razz
Cheers

G

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 09:29:58 pm »

I have 2 Line6 XDR955's and love them as do my clients. I use them professionally and have no issues. They sound great and the battery meter works well too. The lockout is great tool but the batteries are a little hard to change.

Brian Jojade

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 10:13:40 pm »

Ryan Lantzy wrote on Fri, 19 March 2010 18:31

Charles Wick wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 02:40

Ok, so here is my question. I am looking at the Shure wireless mic systems. I know that there are the PG, PGX, SLX, ULX, etc. Pertaining to the PGX, SLX, and ULX systems only, assuming that they all had the SM58 mic, and if I wanted only 6 systems max to use at one time, is there any really big need to purchase a ULX or SLX over the PGX? (This is for installed sound at a church, used 3 times a week.) Thanks.

Can't say enough about the ULX stuff.  It's really great for the money IMO.  The receivers, handhelds and beltpacks are mostly plastic, but very durable.  Do yourself a favor and buy the ULXS (Standard) series.  The ULXP (Professional) has a bunch of pretty useless features for what you want to do.  With six units, just pop in your zip code on the Shure website and it will give you a group and channels to set your gear to and you'll be golden.  I've never, ever, had any RF issues with these units in small numbers and they sound fantastic.  You'll save about $200-300 on the S series vs. the P.

The p series comes with 1/2 wave antennas, which can really help with reception. Put the 1/2 waves on the ulxs units, and i agree that they are very similar
---------------------------------------------
Brian Jojade
HappyMac Digital Electronics

http://www.happymacshop.com

---------------------------------------------

Leo Melkote

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 12:10:50 am »

I would like if someone could outline the technical reasons (Ok, not too technical Smile ) as to why a wired mic is a better option than wireless.

I'm looking for something I can use to explain to artistes who don't seem to be willing to do a "ear test." If I understand correct, a lot of the quality is lost when the mic has to compress the signal, then transmit it, then expand it again at the receiver.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.