ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PK’s Response to “Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin”  (Read 12944 times)

Jeremy Bridge

PK’s Response to “Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin”
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »

Hello everyone,

Today a friend brought to my attention the thread titled “Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin?”  I wish I would have noticed it sooner so I could set the record straight. Unfortunately I don’t get the check the forum as much as I used to.

PSW most definitely did not copy our design. In fact the LAB sub and Mr. Danley’s work was the inspiration for what is now one of PK’s current speaker models.  I believe Mr. Al Smith has taken the article out of context to somehow attempt to discredit us.  Why I am unsure, but I guess some people have nothing better to do, or are simply jealous.

The subwoofer model I designed in 2003 was nothing at all like a LAB, in fact it was a bandpass dual 18” cabinet, however it was PK’s first subwoofer model.  

As an avid sound enthusiast and engineering graduate I have been designing speakers since 1995.  During a period around 2004 we did build and test LAB subwoofers designed by PSW & Mr. Danley for our own use.   At that time we encountered a number of problems using them for our applications and I set out to redesign a subwoofer that would suit our needs and solve the issues we encountered.  

To say that our current subwoofer is a copy of the LAB sub is also inaccurate.  While there similarities there are also large and significant differences in the design. It would be like saying that EAW copied JBL’s dual 18, or that EV copied L-Acoustics Vdosc Line Array.

We are a modest little sound company from Canada and we work hard doing the same thing all of you do every day, trying to give our customers the best sound possible.  We love our industry and heavily support it through artists and education.

It is also true that we have artists who love PK Sound and tour with our equipment.  Riders often stipulate a number of different requirements and in fact Bassnectar’s rider does specify PK Sound as the speaker choice.  As a matter of fact his spring tour is set to kick off with a full compliment of PK speakers.  

I would like to thank Mr. Danley, PSW and the community it fosters.  Your inspiration has fueled our little company to try and provide listeners the best audio experience we can provide Smile  

Thank you,

Jeremy Bridge
PK Sound

Nathan Lehouillier

Re: PK’s Response to “Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin”
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »

Jeremy,

I have never meet you or Al Smith. If you want to discredit Al Smiths claim that your sub is a copy of the Lab sub you might want to go into detail what makes it different. Other wise his claim is as valid as yours.

1) Are you using the same driver(s)?
2) What are the dimensions of your box?

Nate
KDS&L
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:15:54 PM »

Nathan Lehouillier wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 13:28

Jeremy,

I have never meet you or Al Smith. If you want to discredit Al Smiths claim that your sub is a copy of the Lab sub you might want to go into detail what makes it different. Other wise his claim is as valid as yours.

1) Are you using the same driver(s)?
2) What are the dimensions of your box?

Nate
KDS&L

And I would add- what are the design differences?  What issues did you have that you solved-and how did you go about that?
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »

Oh and maybe change the access panels a little.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:12:58 AM »

Jeff Permanian wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 02:26

Well mine are square. So I'm going to copyright MY version now  Cool

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:17 AM »

Jeff Permanian wrote on Wed, 17 March 2010 02:26

Yeah, I was wondering why a dual 18" bandpass sub (which must be loaded from the front) needs an access panel that's smaller than the drivers by about 6 inches or so. Rolling Eyes
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

Al Limberg

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:28:59 PM »

Now now Silas, mine are square too - but I'll gladly share the tons of royalties we're bound to generate!

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

In one festival alone, there were 130 boxes from PK's modest little company:   http://www.beatroute.ca/view_article.php?sectionID=17&ar ticleID=2902

I echo Ivan's questions:  "what are the design differences? What issues did you have that you solved-and how did you go about that?"  
http://www.pksound.ca/PDF_Downloads/PK-CS212S.pdf

Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Al Smith

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »

Well, I thought PK was the victim, now I am of the opinion they are the perpatrator.  Not only that, they have built their entire company based on 'PK Bass', which is evidently PSW's bass.  I now strongly believe that Jeremy Bridge is a fraudster, not the inventor he has led everyone to believe.  Using different glue does not entitle you to claim its your own design.  His post is nothing more than failed spin.  

Mr Bridges recent post: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/528859/25904/#ms g_528859 completely contradicts his previous posts on this board and the 'Beatroute article' http://www.beatroute.ca/view_article.php?sectionID=17&ar ticleID=2902

Jeremy Bridge of PK Sound claims that his design is not a lab sub, yet he distinctly calls them lab subs in his previous posts:

"Plastic Skids (feet) for LAB's ??" Wed, 14 January 2009 21:01
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/395459/25904/#ms g_395459

Re: Blown LAB Subwoofers...    Wed, 09 April 2008 14:23
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/310775/25904/#ms g_310775

"Wed, 09 April 2008 10:56
I have built about 30 labs and have 18 in our rental inventory, we have gone through a fair ammount of drivers over the years. We very rarely lose drivers on a typical club show, and never with a band / live setup.Where we do loose drivers is large outdoor festivals and DJ events. Specifically with electronic music.In the beginning when we first started building them it was air leaks. The odd driver was over excurting, cones were tearing, spiders were seperating, voice coils were bottoming etc. After the first couple boxes we had it down and that problem disapeared.Since then it's almost always burnt voice coils, usually on events where the system runs for 16+ hours. Our only real solution for this has been to try and do 1 large stack and cycle groups of subs out durring the non-headliner slots so they have a chance to cool down.Lab's definatley aren't indestructable but after a bit of practice and knowing thier limits they are as reliable as any other sub.Jeremy "

Jeremy Bridge / PK Sound / whatever claims he has built 30 of these in 2008.  Now it is something like 80 subs.  PK Sound also claims on their website to have installed these in 4 nightclubs.  This is mass production.  He called these LAB subs, not something else.  I am never going to one of their parties again and I feel a complete fool.  

Further, there is a financial relationship between Lorne Bassnectar and PK Sound.  PK Sound have hired him on to do their own parties since 2004 so Bassnectar is in their backpocket, so to speak.  I cannot beleive he would associate himself with such deception.  Rumour has it that he is supposed to be 'Purchasing two PK systems with a lot PK Bass'.  The PSW copyright notice thingy says you can't do that.  

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »

If the the sub doesn't fit...

index.php/fa/28801/0/

you must acquit...

But I doubt Cochran could help in this case.
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.