ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: lets talk mic cases  (Read 5052 times)

(Brian) Frost

lets talk mic cases
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:34 AM »

I have always used the skb mic pod's.  Any reason to look at a different mic case?  I find the hinge on teh inside divider for the top compartment always eventually breaks  but they generally get the job done.  What do you like and why.
Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Patrick Campbell

• http://www.jurysout.com
Re: lets talk mic cases
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »

Hey Brian,

I have been thru a 6 mic SKB and a 12 mic with "compartments" and I just outgrew them.

Now I bought a EWI 25 mic case and I was able to lable all the spots and have a home for all my mics and the d-boxes and clips in the 2 matching compartments to the right of mics.

The SKB served me well and it is a great case - just too small for me now.

I put it out on PSW and it was sold in 5 minutes so that tells me they are still in demand as they should be.

Patrick
Soupy219
Patrick Campbell
Patrick@jurysout.com
Feel free to visit me at my band page:
www.jurysout.com

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.
New Member of QRX Mafia Central,IL

Simon Coffin

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »

Hey Brian,

A while ago I bought three 2 space locking rack drawers which I lined with slotted foam sheet.  I made drawer dividers out of fiberboard which were also foam covered that slide into the slotted foam.

Two of the drawers have compartment across the front that hold mic clips and accessories.  The rest of the drawer is divided into 5 or 6 slots.  The third drawer is just foam lined without dividers.  The three drawers are contained in a 6 space rack.

After a bit of fiddeling to get the right compartment sizes I have a neat and efficient system to store all 22 mics, two DIs, polarity tester, EWI cable checker and batteries.

I keep all my gear in smaller cases since I have to setup by myself and find them more manageable.  Usually I stack the cases on stage, Power Distro, Main Amps, Monitor Amps then Mics.  This gives me quick access to everything I need and looks professional since all the cases are identical.

If I can dig up a picture I'll post one.

Ciao
Simon
Median Engineering llc
www.medianengineering.com

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »

I've got a Gator G-Tour M15 flight case. Holds 15 mics and a equal sized compartment next to it. Pretty hefty price tag though ($180), not sure I would buy another one, but it has served well and I'll probably have it for a good long while. I got this before I knew about EWI
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Brian Adams

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »

I have a Gator M15 as well, I think it's a much better case than any of the similar sized plastic ones.  It's a better case than the EWI 24 mic case I have, although that case has served me well for a few years and is still doing good.

The material of the EWI case is very thin, but it's a decent case for the money.  I've had mine fall 3 feet to the floor while full of mics, and you can barely tell.  

The Gator M15 isn't priced too bad if you go through the right place (NSL).  The EWI case is a bargain any way you look at it.

You can also get a 25 mic foam insert for a 6 space rack drawer, if you want to go that route.
B.

Matt Vivlamore

• http://www.meerkatsound.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:39:54 AM »

I own an EWI M024 mice case.  It is about 3 years old and it's been serving me very well as a weekend warrior (no Student Labor type help).

If you are touring; I would look at Katz Audio's mic case.  He builds it in the same footprint of a 8-10space amp rack.  The tops has a lift off lid and 2 drawers below.
Find us on the web at: meerkatsound.com

I'm using: EV QRx212 over JBL SRX718s(2) with Crown IT's and MRX512m & MRX525 on monitors with XTi's; all controlled by Yamaha LS9-32.  I have a bunch of other stuff too.

Matt Duncan

• http://www.mattduncan.us
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »

a big problem I'm running into with off-the-shelf cases is that none will hold my mics well...My e906s & audix d-series won't fit into regular holes without either flopping around or just not fitting well period. Any suggestions?
www.mattduncan.us
G.A.S. Powered Productions

Brian Adams

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »

I use e609's and D series mics as well, and I have no problem fitting them into the EWI case.  The D2's and D4's were a tight fit, but once I wedged them in they expanded the foam slightly, and now it works great.

Except for big mics like a D6 or B52, I just keep those in pouches in the side compartment or in a workbox drawer.

E609's and D6's fit well in my Gator M15, but the holes are much too big for D2's and D4's.  If I was going to use that case for those mics, I'd probably just put a piece of foam in the bottom to keep the mics up higher.

I attached a couple photo's for comparison.  I have more mics than will fit in both of these cases, but this will give you a good idea of how I use them.index.php/fa/28732/0/
B.

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 01:19:27 PM »

I use pelican cases and keep the mics in zipper bags or crown royal sacks. By the time you get them all in there they don't bounce around too much. My di's go in there as well.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »

Tim Weaver wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 13:19

I use pelican cases and keep the mics in zipper bags or crown royal sacks. By the time you get them all in there they don't bounce around too much. My di's go in there as well.

+1

I used to use an EWI mic case, but it was a little bulky, and didn't like touring. So, for tour everything goes in my 1015 Pelican.

For home use, I have an EWI work box, and the top draw holds all the mics & DI's, in their bags.

Evan
Not all change is good change.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.