ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How would a teen like me be able to get 'soundcheck passes' to concerts to just check equipment out?  (Read 7990 times)

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 12:15

There is a great series of video on YouTube from the last RUSH tour, all told it's almost an hour's worth.  It includes some time lapse of the set up, interviews with tour staff and lots of behind the scenes stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=backstage+secret s+rush&search_type=&aq=f

it's part of a 5 part TV show about the Rush S+A tour, where they go through the various areas of production, trying to explain in 30 or so minutes what each various person does.

mind you, it's no substitute for actually doing it
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 09:15

Churches?  It depends....  Most of them want their technical team to be "true believers" of whatever flavor of church they are.  Others will look at an outsider as a proselytizing opportunity.  All of them will let you go the minute they think you'll never believe as they do.  Churches contain more psychotic directors, dime store divas and questionable designers than community theater and they'll excuse their illnesses/behavior in the name of religion.  Then again, you might be lucky and find the 3% of churches that aren't that way and have a fantastic experience working with talented folks who don't have an agenda beyond making the services and productions something special for their congregations... but in my 30 years of experience, those are in the minority.

Amen, and preach it, Brother Tim!

(Much of what you say can be read between the lines in posts on the Church Sound Forums ...)

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jason Lavoie

Steve Hurt wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 23:15

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 19:01

If you wanna see a "big" rock show, I'll be through your area in June.

Evan

OP, this is what you asked for.  Take him up on it!
Opportunities for what you want to do are very limited.

And it'll give Evan a chance to be the "old sound guy"  Razz

Jason

Charlie Zureki

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 14:32

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 09:15

Churches?  It depends....  Most of them want their technical team to be "true believers" of whatever flavor of church they are.  Others will look at an outsider as a proselytizing opportunity.  All of them will let you go the minute they think you'll never believe as they do.  Churches contain more psychotic directors, dime store divas and questionable designers than community theater and they'll excuse their illnesses/behavior in the name of religion.  Then again, you might be lucky and find the 3% of churches that aren't that way and have a fantastic experience working with talented folks who don't have an agenda beyond making the services and productions something special for their congregations... but in my 30 years of experience, those are in the minority.

Amen, and preach it, Brother Tim!

(Much of what you say can be read between the lines in posts on the Church Sound Forums ...)

-a

+2

Hammer

ps. apparently, Religious organizations don't believe that my NO SOLICITING sign on my home's gatepost, doesn't apply to them.....  until I SHOW and TELL THEM.  Mad the next time,they get the sprinklers Laughing  
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Cosmo

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 25 March 2010 10:15

In school, take all the theater classes you can.  Being a well-rounded stage technician is important as arena production encompasses all the aspects of stagecraft.  Knowing how your department impacts the others, and knowing how it all comes together is a great "big picture" thing to have.

Community theater looks good on a young person's resume.  It shows a potential employer that you've paid some dues, so to speak, and have endured psychotic directors, dime store divas, and talentless "designers" and still are interested in production.  

+1.  Having experience in a theater setting is invaluable, IMO.  You learn an awful lot from it that you don't realize until much later.  I got started in HS working backstage for the Drama Dept. and then joined a community theater group doing lights and building sets.  It progressed from there and nearly thirty years and several thousand shows later I still use the skills I learned that long ago.  Being a well-rounded stagehand will give you an advantage in many endeavors.  Plus I have some life-long friends from this biz who call me up when they need help, sometimes for good pay!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears the beat of a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away."  -Henry David Thoreau
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.