ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: User's of Bill Fitzmaurice designs.  (Read 47840 times)

Scott Deeter

User's of Bill Fitzmaurice designs.
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:49:33 AM »

I found myself wondering onto Bill Fitzmaurice's site and checking out the different cab designs he offers. Just wondering what users (of any design) have to say about them that may lurk here.

From the reading I've done on the site, the designs seem to offer more output for less power, less weight and at a cheaper price. I can't help but think why I haven't read more use of them on here in general.

http://billfitzmaurice.net/welcome.html
Take care,
Scott Deeter

Tom Young

Re: User's of Bill Fitzmaurice designs.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:07:08 AM »

Same here.

I cannot help provide an answer and I may not have time to go over and look at what he currently is offering and/or saying.

When he started writing articles for Speaker Builder magazine many years ago I was interested in reading about, but saw lots of flaws, in his designs. Last time I did look at his website it seemed to be a case of someone drinking too much of their own koolaid. Way too much.

One can correlate your observation with the huge success of the LAB horn. At least *I* think you can.

Maybe someone else can provide a more authoritative answer.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

You might benefit from a read through this thread http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/50515/23647/ before you decide to make any sawdust.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »

Oh yeah. I forgot about the 1/2" plywood. What ?

Other than for desk-top PC speaker applications  Rolling Eyes , there is no justification for anything less than 5/8" thickness ..... along with with ample bracing.

"any major dude will tell you"
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Scott Deeter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »

Tom Young wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 10:07

Maybe someone else can provide a more authoritative answer.

Yes, that why I am looking for actual user's that have built some/any of the cab designs and wish to hear their opinions of said cab from "this" site. With more people getting into measurement software, I was thinking there could possibly be data to back up the designs. Also with "hearing is believing" so to say.

I was thinking about "tinkering" this summer with possibly one the "Jack" designs.

http://billfitzmaurice.net/Jack.html
Take care,
Scott Deeter

Tom Young

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »

I suspect this is not what you meant, but if Bill wanted to corroborate his empirical (and very subjective) evidence that his designs "work", he could.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:22:55 PM »

Scott Deeter wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 17:05

With more people getting into measurement software, I was thinking there could possibly be data to back up the designs. Also with "hearing is believing" so to say.

I have never heard one of his designs-so have no opinion on it.

But regarding measurement-I have seen commerical loudspeakers that measure pretty good (amplitude wise) and sound like garbage.  Or have a sonic "character" that just stands out-but does not show up on a measurement.

Now if it measures bad-then there is a good chance it will sound bad.

You can't tell everything there is to know from a measurement(s).

As an old story goes (I think from Dick Heyser-but could be wrong-maybe Don Davis): You can use all the most expensive test gear in the world to analyise a waveform-but if you are looking at speech, there is no way you can tell what is being spoken.

But a $2 loudspeaker just hanging in the air will give you that information.

While I am a HUGE believer in measurements and what they can do-you HAVE to also use your ear.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Scott Deeter

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 14 March 2010 17:22

You can't tell everything there is to know from a measurement(s).

While I am a HUGE believer in measurements and what they can do-you HAVE to also use your ear.

Ivan,

Yes, I agree with you, but I don't know what else to ask for in regards to what I'm waiting to hear about.......User opinions of built designs. I was hoping this wouldn't get into a debate of the designs themselves or what components are used in them either, just again.......opinions of the designs that have been built AND heard. Razz

When I was on the forums on Bill's site I noticed a few names I recognized from here. Again, just waiting for people to chime in with opinions on what design they built and may have used out in the field, whether weekend warrior, DJ or whatever.
Take care,
Scott Deeter

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »

Hey Scott,

Diving into a somewhat touchy subject for many unforunately Wink.  But about a year and 1/2 ago I was curious about the designs as well, and was reading on his forum and DJForums.com where his designs are really pushed and there where tons of people "raving" about the designs, but not much "real world" info and comparisons.

Jeff Babcock was able to come along and give me some very good reviews and info that helped.

I take part in the forum for the "tech talk" and such, but usually don't get into real in-depth discussions of the cabs since I have just worked with 2 of the subs.

But Jeff Babcock, Adam Schiable, and hopefully a couple others should at least be able to give you some very good real world info that isn't just raving.

Take Care!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »

To me, Bill's cabinets seemed aimed at local bands with no money, and no trucks/road crew. While I have never heard any of them, I have looked at the site and read the forums, and have come to the conclusion that none of those designs would suit what I would call PRO PA.

For me, even the smallest PA company has a van or trailer, and owns a handtruck, so a large heavy subwoofer is not a problem. While I can appreciate smaller and lighter subs, there is only so small and so light you can go. Same with horns. A piezo or small 4X10 horn is only going to do so much, before you need to step up into a real driver/horn combination.

One of the big problems with DIY, and not just with Bill's stuff, but all DIY, is that a lot depends on the skills of the builder, and the quality of the materials, components, etc. You can have a great design like a LAB SUB, and if the builder uses crappy wood, is sloppy with measurements and joints, etc, it will not sound as good as it could.

Now don't get me wrong, I like DIY projects. In fact, I still build most of my own cabinets. But I don't build them to save money, I build them because I could not find exactly what I was looking for in a production box. My boxes cost me more than comparable boxes from a reputable manufacturer, and sound about the same, but they were designed to fit specific requirements, not to save money.

While you don't have to spend a ton of money to get decent quality sound, a box made from 1/2" wood loaded with mid level drivers is only going to go so far.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.