ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin?  (Read 28544 times)

Al Smith

Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin?
« on: March 02, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »

Your LAB Subwoofer looks like its an exact copy of this company's bass bin:

index.php/fa/28478/0/

http://www.pksound.ca

Here is an article about them:
 http://beatroute.ca/view_article.php?sectionID=17&articl eID=2902

Al Smith

Re: Why did PSW copy PK's bass bin?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »

They are making up a batch in their shop:
index.php/fa/28479/0/

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Huh?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »

Your accusation implies that the PK sub predates the LAB Sub. The article you linked to mentions 2003 as the beginning of the PK sub. The archives of the Live Audio Board don't go back all the way, but I did find a thread from October of 2002 that talks about a previously completed set of LAB Subs. That would put that set in at least early 2002. Perhaps Tom Danley will chime in with some of the details about how he came to design the sub as a DIY project for the Live Audio Board.

Mac

Al Smith

Re: Huh?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:42:40 AM »

Me thinks something fishy with PK claim.  

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:06 AM »

Al Smith wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 00:42

Me thinks something fishy with PK claim.  

What do you mean by that.

Mac

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:38:16 AM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 03:52

Your accusation implies that the PK sub predates the LAB Sub. The article you linked to mentions 2003 as the beginning of the PK sub. The archives of the Live Audio Board don't go back all the way, but I did find a thread from October of 2002 that talks about a previously completed set of LAB Subs. That would put that set in at least early 2002. Perhaps Tom Danley will chime in with some of the details about how he came to design the sub as a DIY project for the Live Audio Board.

Mac

From my eyes, the Lab Sub (internally) is exactly like the Servodrive Basstech 7 which stems from the 80's designed by Tom Danley. The photo below is the Servodrive Basstech 7

http://i49.tinypic.com/333zuh2.jpg

Here is the Lab Sub

http://www.paulstech.com/img/lab12/P1020403.JPG

It is amazing someone would insinuate they are the original designer of the Lab Sub.

Best Regards,
Elliot

Doug Fowler

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »

What PK claim?  There are hundreds of Tom's design working around the world. The LAB sub is a labor of love, designed by Tom to give back to the community.

What is your exact complaint?  Are a competitor of PK?  

We have seen many posts like this over the years, and your calling this 'fishy' is like Mr. Pot calling Mr. Kettle "black".

So what's your story, first time poster?  The LAB sub design is copyrighted.   The terms of the copyright allow personal/business use except sale for profit.

-doug, PSW moderator
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:19 AM »

Doug Fowler wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 14:44

What PK claim?  There are hundreds of Tom's design working around the world. The LAB sub is a labor of love, designed by Tom to give back to the community.

What is your exact complaint?  Are a competitor of PK?  

We have seen many posts like this over the years, and your calling this 'fishy' is like Mr. Pot calling Mr. Kettle "black".

So what's your story, first time poster?  The LAB sub design is copyrighted.   The terms of the copyright allow personal/business use except sale for profit.

-doug, PSW moderator

Not sure if this is okay to post but,if you look at the side of that sub you'll see what appears to be a cooling plug!!! (cue the Hitchcock violins) Twisted Evil   Is this some twisted trip into Wayne's world?

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

kevinnemrava

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »

Hey Doug. I can provide some of the back story. I am out of the Calgary area(my company is HyperCube Productions), the same area that PK operates in. Myself and Jeremy Bridge were some of the early builders of the lab sub; In fact we were the ones that did the translations in to the metric/18mm drawings. We have long since gone our seprate ways due to disagreements about ethical business practices and are now competitors.

I have never met or conversed with Al Smith.

PK does, as far as I know, produce ths lab 12 (PK-CS212s) for sale and profit. We have come across a number of installs in the calgary area, were these subs were sold to bar owners, as new stock, and were claimed to have been custom designed and built  by PK.

Winston Gamble

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 11:38

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 03:52

Mac

From my eyes, the Lab Sub (internally) is exactly like the Servodrive Basstech 7 which stems from the 80's designed by Tom Danley. The photo below is the Servodrive Basstech 7

http://i49.tinypic.com/333zuh2.jpg

Here is the Lab Sub

http://www.paulstech.com/img/lab12/P1020403.JPG

It is amazing someone would insinuate they are the original designer of the Lab Sub.

Best Regards,

Either you have a different definition of "exactly", or you need to have your eyes checked. Laughing

Winston
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.