ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading out on my first national tour...  (Read 7662 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: Heading out on my first national tour...
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:49:24 AM »

Great American Music Hall -

Great sounding room.

For what it's worth: I've seen a couple of mid-level acts there where the openers sounded a whole lot better than the headliner.

The only difference was the mixer.

My guess is that the headliners had BEs that insisted on being big swinging dicks instead of listening to the locals.

All those different rigs in so many different rooms? With 100% house stuff. That's tough. I've been there on one-offs.

- you'll know which house guys have their "good on" during the openers. Collaborate if it makes you better!  - I learn and at the same time stay free to focus on cues. Does not mean you are a wuss.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Mon, 01 March 2010 00:49

Great American Music Hall -

Great sounding room.

For what it's worth: I've seen a couple of mid-level acts there where the openers sounded a whole lot better than the headliner.

The only difference was the mixer.

My guess is that the headliners had BEs that insisted on being big swinging dicks instead of listening to the locals.

Aw, gosh!  Razz

I'm pretty proud of my "kids".   I think the openers who get mixed by the house staff are generally very happy with the results.

Gramps
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Tom Young

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »

Update on the system at Toad's Place in New Haven CT:

A&H M5000 at FOH
Yamaha LS9 on monitors
All drivers repaired or upgraded recently

...that's all she wrote.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »

Zack Slater wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 20:51

3/31/10 Scottsdale, AZ – Martini Ranch

I still have yet to meet the house guy there but everyone I have ever talked to around here says he is a great guy!  I think he posts here occasionally.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Robert "Void" Caprio

• http://www.interzonestudios.com
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »

Went through Martini Ranch this summer. Cool room, cool people. Good mix position. A&H something-or-other at FOH, monitors from FOH too. Can't remember the rig but it pumped.

Nokia Theater, NYC - Hope Mohawk Dave is still there, he made my shows there a lot of fun.

Toad's Place is legendary but has some skanky dressing rooms.

The Social, Orlando... terrible parking/load-in...as in none/troublesome. At least you're not in a cage like at Backbooth:

index.php/fa/28430/0/

Eagle Theater, Pontiac, MI - you'll wish you were in the big room (CroFoot) but it's ok.

TLA, Philly - I swear I think the tops are out of phase... maybe just me? Mix position sucks as previously stated.

Crocodile Rock - Sucks as previously stated.

Nashville, TN - Hopefully it's Exit/In. Cool, venerable venue. Haven't been in years so I couldn't tell you what's in there.

Have fun on the tour. I did a few shows with Honor Society a while ago. Who's mixing them?
Robert "Void" Caprio
FOH/Mon/TM/PM/RF Tech
Interzone Studios
Tour Blog

Doug Fowler

Old Rock House
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »

Old Rock House -

This is a bar that wants to be a venue.  There is a live sound 'room', very tall ceiling with a video screen behind the band, and a balcony area. It used to be that the house sound guy was responsible for operating the HD camera that projected an image of the band behind the band, and to various TVs around the bar.

The room is stupidly reverberant, even after they brought people back in to tame it.  

No case storage, no backstage area, no dressing rooms.  Load in and out through the crowd.

Mons from FOH (32ch Verona), rack full of analog goodies (Drawmer, etc).  Monitors are some flavor of mid-line EV, can't remember exactly.

There was a marginal microphone and stand kit the last time I was in there, as in all the mics and DIs fit in the ubiquitous SKB microphone case.

PA is a couple of EV subs under the stage and a pair of Xi install boxes, 12" flavor IIRC.

If it hasn't changed, it's pretty much a crippled rig in a space that should not have live music.

They did spend top dollar on the bar stools as I understand it, though.... :-)

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Charlie Zureki

Re: Old Rock House
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »

Doug Fowler wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 11:34

Old Rock House -

This is a bar that wants to be a venue.  There is a live sound 'room', very tall ceiling with a video screen behind the band, and a balcony area. It used to be that the house sound guy was responsible for operating the HD camera that projected an image of the band behind the band, and to various TVs around the bar.

The room is stupidly reverberant, even after they brought people back in to tame it.  

No case storage, no backstage area, no dressing rooms.  Load in and out through the crowd.

Mons from FOH (32ch Verona), rack full of analog goodies (Drawmer, etc).  Monitors are some flavor of mid-line EV, can't remember exactly.

There was a marginal microphone and stand kit the last time I was in there, as in all the mics and DIs fit in the ubiquitous SKB microphone case.

PA is a couple of EV subs under the stage and a pair of Xi install boxes, 12" flavor IIRC.

If it hasn't changed, it's pretty much a crippled rig in a space that should not have live music.

They did spend top dollar on the bar stools as I understand it, though.... Smile

But do they have a good selection of whiskey and beers? Cool

Cheers,
 Hammer

ps... do you hate it when some venue does everything half-arse?  
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Doug Fowler

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »

It's not half-assed by any means.  It's a professional install that seems to be well implemented, but as is often the case it was (apparently) unclear to the proprietor what it really takes to do a show.   They missed it by "that much".   It certainly wasn't for lack of funding.

I understand they have acquired adjacent property. Last I heard was some reconstruction is to be done. Add a few boxes, a splitter snake and a monitor desk, with proper stage access and they would be in pretty good shape.

It's a fine bar, without doubt.

edit for typo
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Chris Buford

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:20 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 22:13

5/5/10 Raleigh, NC – Lincoln Theater - 2 EAW KF850's and 2 SB850's per side. Falling apart Yamaha M3000 at FOH. Haven't been there in 2 years, so it might be better, but I had a pretty shitty show there.

The Yamaha is the monitor desk now. They have a Midas out front now, 48 ch Verona if I remember correctly.

Monitor Engineer/Lighting Designer
Carbon Leaf www.carbonleaf.com
www.deathstar.org/~cabuford

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:51 AM »

Doug Fowler wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 17:35

It's not half-assed by any means.  It's a professional install that seems to be well implemented, but as is often the case it was (apparently) unclear to the proprietor what it really takes to do a show.   They missed it by "that much".   It certainly wasn't for lack of funding.

I understand they have acquired adjacent property. Last I heard was some reconstruction is to be done. Add a few boxes, a splitter snake and a monitor desk, with proper stage access and they would be in pretty good shape.

It's a fine bar, without doubt.

edit for typo

Hello Doug,

My half-arsed comment was in regards to too many venue owners not providing adequate equipment to do the bands justice. They don't necessarily need to provide the "best in class" equipment, but they do need to provide the appropriate tools to get the job done. In this case, as in so many others, they should have consulted with someone familiar with the needs of the caliber of acts performing at this venue.

Good intentions of venue owners often miss their mark. When the act or it's road crew doesn't feel "comfortable", they often give uncomfortable performances, which can affect the bottom line, for the act AND the venue owner.

just my opinion,

Cheers,
 Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.