ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Heading out on my first national tour...  (Read 7668 times)

Zack Slater

Heading out on my first national tour...
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »

I'll be heading out with the band "Just Kait" who is opening for the Honor Society on my first national tour.  Anyone have any insight on these places?  Any info is much appreciated!

3/19/10 St. Petersburg, FL – State Theatre
3/21/10 Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Culture Room
3/22/10 Orlando, FL – The Social
3/24/10 New Orleans, LA – House Of Blues
3/25/10 Houston, TX – House Of Blues
3/26/10 San Antonio, TX – White Rabbit
3/28/10 Dallas, TX – House Of Blues
3/31/10 Scottsdale, AZ – Martini Ranch
4/2/10 San Francisco, CA – Great American Music Hall
4/3/10 Los Angeles, CA – Club Nokia
4/6/10 Denver, CO – Marquis Theater
4/7/10 Kansas City, MO – Beaumont
4/8/10 St. Louis, MO – The Old Rock House
4/9/10 Milwaukee, WI – The Rave
4/11/10 Pontiac, MI – Eagles Theater
4/13/10 Minneapolis, MN – Varsity
4/16/10 Chicago, IL – House Of Blues
4/17/10 Pittsburgh, PA – Chess-A-Rena
4/20/10 Toronto, ON – The Opera House
4/21/10 Cleveland, OH – House Of Blues
4/22/10 Philadelphia, PA – Theatre Of Living Arts
4/24/10 New York, NY – Nokia Theater
4/25/10 Norfolk, VA – NorVa
4/26/10 Washington, DC – Rock And Roll Hotel
4/27/10 New Haven, CT – Toad’s Place
4/29/10 Allentown, PA – Crocodile Rock
5/1/10 Montreal, QC – TBA
5/2/10 Boston, MA – House Of Blues
5/4/10 Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore
5/5/10 Raleigh, NC – Lincoln Theater
5/7/10 Nashville, TN – TBA
5/8/10 Atlanta, GA – The Loft

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Heading out on my first national tour...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »

3/25/10 Houston, TX – House Of Blues - Soundbridge OYXN rig with a Soundcraft VI6 out front. Load in via freight elevator. Lots of stairs. 7 flights of stairs from the dressing room to the bus. Crew is pretty bad. Room sounds ok, PA is an icepick.

3/26/10 San Antonio, TX – White Rabbit - Small! I forget what's in there, but I've yet to have a good show there.

3/28/10 Dallas, TX – House Of Blues - H2000 out front, with good outboard. Soundbridge OYXN rig again... Haven't been in there since they installed the new rig, but the old XLC system kicked ass.

4/7/10 Kansas City, MO – Beaumont - Undersized Martin line array with a Midas Verona out front. You'll be lucky to hit 102dBA @ FOH. PA seems to have nothing above 6k, and way too much 500hz.

4/9/10 Milwaukee, WI – The Rave - Terrible room when empty. Once it fills up, it's not too bad. They've got 6 L'Acoustic KUDO flown a side, with 4 SB218's a side. PM5000 out front, with Drawmer/dbx outboard. I haven't been in the room since they put the Kudo rig in. Ask if you can get a tour of the place. It's an old ass building that was originally a "rich white gentleman's club."  Check out the pool and boiler room. Walk upstairs and check out the ballroom too. Cool shit.

4/16/10 Chicago, IL – House Of Blues - EV X-Array with a H2000 out front. Good place with good people. If your house tech is April, give her shit about needing more subs and how they should have a d&b rig in there. Oh, and you will run out of subs very quick...

4/21/10 Cleveland, OH – House Of Blues - EV XLC rig with a H2000 out front. FOH is under a balcony in a bass trap. Take a walk around to really hear the PA.

4/22/10 Philadelphia, PA – Theatre Of Living Arts - TLA! I might have to come up to that show. Clair R3 "line array" with S4's and SB1000's. Midas verona at FOH tucked far under a balcony. You cannot hear the PA at all at FOH. It's not a fun gig. I bring my own FOH console whenever I'm there just so I can put it where I can actually hear the PA...

4/24/10 New York, NY – Nokia Theater - JBL VT4888's with a Midas H2000(I think) out front. Good sounding room. I think there's a dB limit at FOH... Can't remember.

4/25/10 Norfolk, VA – NorVa - 4 v-dosc with 2 dV-dosc flown a side. M7CL out front. Ask for front fills, you'll need them. It's a good sounding PA. The dressing rooms are insane. Hot tub, game room, apartment style dressing rooms. Very artist friendly venue. Load-in sucked last time we were there. They have the street all torn up because they're putting in a light rail... We had to push about 300 yards to the venue. Hopefully it's better for you now.

4/27/10 New Haven, CT – Toad’s Place - OLD mono PA last time I was in there. A&H ML4000 at FOH. Haven't been there for a few years, so I don't know how the rig is anymore. I had a decent sounding show.

4/29/10 Allentown, PA – Crocodile Rock - This place sucks. 2 KF650e's flown a side with 4 SB1000's per side. Rig is underpowered and limited way too soon. M7CL out front. The house techs stare at the BSS processor the whole show... Touch limit and they tell you to turn it down.  They're clueless. The room sucks. It can be feedback hell if you aren't careful. 315, 630hz and 2k suck. There's no HF left in the boxes either...

5/1/10 Montreal, QC – TBA - Sounds like a winner Wink

5/2/10 Boston, MA – House Of Blues - This place kicks ass. It's the newest HOB, and the largest. Our LD is one of the house LD's there. If you've got Jeff Maker, give him shit all day. You'll have 12 JBL VT4888DP's flown a side, and 6 subs under the deck. Soundcraft VI6 out front. Great sounding room, and PA.

5/4/10 Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore - Another good sounding room. Very new as well. JBL VT4888DP rig, with 3 subs per side. Soundcraft VI6 out front too. Shitty house staff, but you'll have a good gig.

5/5/10 Raleigh, NC – Lincoln Theater - 2 EAW KF850's and 2 SB850's per side. Falling apart Yamaha M3000 at FOH. Haven't been there in 2 years, so it might be better, but I had a pretty shitty show there.

Good luck and have fun!

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Daniel Nickleski

• http://www.soundworkspro.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »

3/19/10 St. Petersburg, FL – State Theatre - Big room with an OLD JBL FOH rig and Soundcraft Spirit at FOH. Doesn't sound to bad though. Monitor rig had some issue, but we worked thru them and show went well

3/21/10 Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Culture Room- This room is pretty cool. EV QRX right and Verona out front. Maybe a DDA on mons? If you band is loud on stage you may run some issues because the stage is surrounded by reflective material... FOH has plenty of headroom though. Owner is a nice guy. He will record the set via DVD if you ask him.

3/24/10 New Orleans, LA – House Of Blues- Ground Stacked EV Xarray rig with H2k out front. Typical HOB setup. Good sounding room. Staff can be easy or rough to deal with. Depends on who you get.

4/9/10 Milwaukee, WI – The Rave - BIG BOOMY ROOM....

4/16/10 Chicago, IL – House Of Blues - One of the better HOB's to mix. Great sounding room. Xarray flown out front with an H2k driving it. Crew is pretty top notch.

4/21/10 Cleveland, OH – House Of Blues- EV XLC with a 2k driving. Great room good staff.

5/8/10 Atlanta, GA – The Loft - Kind of a small PA. Only 1 Xarray short throw cab a side for top and sub. Venice out front (only 24 mono ins...). Mon desk had some issues. Overall it was a good sounding rig, just not enough. Stage was always very small.
Daniel Nickleski
soundworksdan@mac.com

Daniel Nickleski

• http://www.soundworkspro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 22:13

3/19/10

4/24/10 New York, NY – Nokia Theater - JBL VT4888's with a Midas H2000(I think) out front. Good sounding room. I think there's a dB limit at FOH... Can't remember.

Pretty sure it is 115dBc at FOH in all of NYC. At least that is what the guys at the Filmore told me last night.
Daniel Nickleski
soundworksdan@mac.com

Adam Robinson

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:02:30 AM »

I'll add mine in....

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 22:13

Small but iconic room.  Two EV QRX boxes per side stacked on top of 3 QRX subs.  The ceiling above the stage is beveled metal panels (a la a 70's disco).  I believe its a Verona out front
Quote:

Very shallow (like 10') but wide stage.  FOH is in house left back of room out of throw of PA.  The system is an older proprietary rig, but (besides FOH) serves the room decently well.  I've had many good shows there.  You'll be mixing monitors from FOH.
Quote:

I haven't been since Katrina, but it was a db-installed EV X-Array system.  Last time I was there, the house crew had been playing with the processors a bit and the system was sounding less than stellar.  It's been a while since I've been back, so who knows what's up there now.
Quote:

3/25/10 Houston, TX – House Of Blues - Soundbridge OYXN rig with a Soundcraft VI6 out front. Load in via freight elevator. Lots of stairs. 7 flights of stairs from the dressing room to the bus. Crew is pretty bad. Room sounds ok, PA is an icepick.

3/26/10 San Antonio, TX – White Rabbit - Small! I forget what's in there, but I've yet to have a good show there.

3/28/10 Dallas, TX – House Of Blues - H2000 out front, with good outboard. Soundbridge OYXN rig again... Haven't been in there since they installed the new rig, but the old XLC system kicked ass.

I'm admittedly not a fan of XLC, but the XYON rig there isn't bad.  8 tops and 4 double 18 subs per side.  It got good and loud and sounded decent.  For a club like that though, I'd prefer a bit more heft in the air.
Quote:

Great historic room.  Lee, the sound guy there, is a regular poster here.  The rig is 5x Kudo per side and 3x SB118 per side with Lake processing.  I believe they now have an M7 out front.  I've had many great shows there!
Quote:

JBL VerTec rig.  I haven't been there, but I've heard mixed reviews
Quote:

2 Dowlen Sound boxes per side and a mish mosh of subs.  FOH is an older Harrison console that sounds very nice.  The room itself sounds good, too.
Quote:

4/7/10 Kansas City, MO – Beaumont - Undersized Martin line array with a Midas Verona out front. You'll be lucky to hit 102dBA @ FOH. PA seems to have nothing above 6k, and way too much 500hz.
 This has since changed.  The system installed there is 3x VerTec 4888 per side with 3x HLA subs per side.  The array is short, but so is ceiling height.  Still, I'd like to see one more box per side and then some delays further back (the room is pretty deep).  As of last summer, FOH was an M7CL and MON was an older Yamaha monitor console.

Quote:

4/9/10 Milwaukee, WI – The Rave - Terrible room when empty. Once it fills up, it's not too bad. They've got 6 L'Acoustic KUDO flown a side, with 4 SB218's a side. PM5000 out front, with Drawmer/dbx outboard. I haven't been in the room since they put the Kudo rig in. Ask if you can get a tour of the place. It's an old ass building that was originally a "rich white gentleman's club."  Check out the pool and boiler room. Walk upstairs and check out the ballroom too. Cool shit.

I haven't been there since the Kudo rig was installed, but I've always had a great crew there.
Quote:

Bunch o' Self powered mackie boxes in the air anchored by one Fussion box per side.  Subs are a collection of Mackie and JBL VRX self powered boxes.  Mix position has thankfully been moved to the floor and FOH is now an M7CL.  Unless the promoter makes special arrangements, monitors are from FOH.  The house crew is very nice and helpful and the room sounds pretty good.  It needs a real PA badly, though.
Quote:

4/16/10 Chicago, IL – House Of Blues - EV X-Array with a H2000 out front. Good place with good people. If your house tech is April, give her shit about needing more subs and how they should have a d&b rig in there. Oh, and you will run out of subs very quick...

IMO, this is the best sounding HOB even if the subs run out quick.
Quote:

Groundstacked Adamson Y10 rig.  Monitor sound gets sucked away from performers.  I don't remember what the consoles were - it's been a long time since I've been there, but I remember mixing in this room to be a challenge.
Quote:

4/21/10 Cleveland, OH – House Of Blues - EV XLC rig with a H2000 out front. FOH is under a balcony in a bass trap. Take a walk around to really hear the PA.

4/22/10 Philadelphia, PA – Theatre Of Living Arts - TLA! I might have to come up to that show. Clair R3 "line array" with S4's and SB1000's. Midas verona at FOH tucked far under a balcony. You cannot hear the PA at all at FOH. It's not a fun gig. I bring my own FOH console whenever I'm there just so I can put it where I can actually hear the PA...

The last handful of times I've thankfully had my own console.  The house console is in a horrrrrible position.  The crew is awesome though - I've had some great shows there.
Quote:

4/25/10 Norfolk, VA – NorVa - 4 v-dosc with 2 dV-dosc flown a side. M7CL out front. Ask for front fills, you'll need them. It's a good sounding PA. The dressing rooms are insane. Hot tub, game room, apartment style dressing rooms. Very artist friendly venue. Load-in sucked last time we were there. They have the street all torn up because they're putting in a light rail... We had to push about 300 yards to the venue. Hopefully it's better for you now.

4/27/10 New Haven, CT – Toad’s Place - OLD mono PA last time I was in there. A&H ML4000 at FOH. Haven't been there for a few years, so I don't know how the rig is anymore. I had a decent sounding show.

4/29/10 Allentown, PA – Crocodile Rock - This place sucks. 2 KF650e's flown a side with 4 SB1000's per side. Rig is underpowered and limited way too soon. M7CL out front. The house techs stare at the BSS processor the whole show... Touch limit and they tell you to turn it down.  They're clueless. The room sucks. It can be feedback hell if you aren't careful. 315, 630hz and 2k suck. There's no HF left in the boxes either...

5/1/10 Montreal, QC – TBA - Sounds like a winner Wink

5/2/10 Boston, MA – House Of Blues - This place kicks ass. It's the newest HOB, and the largest. Our LD is one of the house LD's there. If you've got Jeff Maker, give him shit all day. You'll have 12 JBL VT4888DP's flown a side, and 6 subs under the deck. Soundcraft VI6 out front. Great sounding room, and PA.

5/4/10 Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore - Another good sounding room. Very new as well. JBL VT4888DP rig, with 3 subs per side. Soundcraft VI6 out front too. Shitty house staff, but you'll have a good gig.

I had no issues with the house crew last time I was there.  This room suffers from "too much line array syndrome" which I tend to like Wink
Quote:

5/5/10 Raleigh, NC – Lincoln Theater - 2 EAW KF850's and 2 SB850's per side. Falling apart Yamaha M3000 at FOH. Haven't been there in 2 years, so it might be better, but I had a pretty shitty show there.

Good luck and have fun!

Evan

Have a good time out there... a very good friend of mine is tour managing that tour.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »

Zack Slater wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 19:51

I'll be heading out with the band "Just Kait" who is opening for the Honor Society on my first national tour.  Anyone have any insight on these places?  Any info is much appreciated!

five l'acoustics KUDO flown on each side, three SB118 subs each side, pair of  L112P for front fill, mono 115HiQs for side balcony fills, L&R pair of 115XTs delayed rear baclony.

index.php/fa/28403/0/
this picture shows the old JBL front fills but otherwise it should give you an idea of what to expect.

ten McCauley SM95-2 wedges, seven mixes available
JBL 4892 over single 18 for drum fill

Yamaha M7cl at FOH
Allen & Heath GL2800M for monitors

Load in is directly from O'Farrell Street
Stage is an unusual shape
105db C scale limit measured at FOH console
All advance enquiries should go to Sean in the office at Slim's
Crew is really good and nice unless you get the "grumpy old guy" Wink

This will be your ninth show opening for the Honor Society so you should have the "sharing or not" issues worked out by then.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain

Zack Slater

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:13:01 AM »

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses!  In the beginning of the planning for this tour, I was going to be mixing FOH for Just Kait on the whole tour.  After a bunch of planning and talk, I'll most likely be pushed back to misc teching duties.  As of now the headlining band, The Honor Society will be having their engineers mix.  I'm hoping to really just learn a lot on this tour and eventually work my way up to mixing the band on tour, I've just been doing it around our area.  

All in all I appreciate all the responses even if I'm not mixing, I just like to know what the place is gonna be like in case I get the chance to do what I really like - mixing sound and not tuning guitars! haha

Lee - Thanks for all the info on the venue and I look foward to meeting you!

Adam - Is your friend our tour manager Meg? Or is it someone for Honor Society?

Adam Robinson

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:42 AM »

my friend is TMing Honor Society.

Zack Slater

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »

Oh okay thanks Adam.  I look forward to meeting all of Honor Society's crew.  They have all been very nice to us so far! haha

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »

Zack Slater wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 22:51

what would you like to know? I'm the house LD Smile

provided I'm still in town that day I'll probably be there

as for honor society's crew, they're pretty decent guys...they've been through twice in the last six months. unless they've changed crews since then, of course.

mixing in our room is a challenge IF you've never mixed in an arena....Heritage 1k at FOH and ML4k at monitors. really high ceiling, ground stacked Y10 array, 4 Y10s over 3 218 subs, XTA processing and QSC amps

feel free to pm me your email address and i'll shoot you over our advance package

as for your montreal show, you'll probably be at club soda...that's *usually* where bands that play our club end up playing when they hit mtl. it's all JBL (non-line array), like a lot of montreal clubs.
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.