ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SSE ProSight Line Array Inclinometer  (Read 28425 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: SSE ProSight Line Array Inclinometer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »

I finally remembered to bring my camera while hanging arrays in a Giant Concrete Box™ this Saturday. As you can see, I used the tried and true "electrical tape it to the fly bar" method, and the inclinometer was as usual quick and easy to work with. The laser is highly visible at distance, haven't tried it outdoors yet, but as far as I'm concerned this box is fantastic.

index.php/fa/30342/0/
index.php/fa/30341/0/

I also have a video, just for fun. Unfortunately we were rigging with chain falls, so this isn't exactly indicative of the effects of bumping motors on the display, but it's nice and stable. You can certainly see the laser in this video, even 140' away on this lousy iPhone video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t35cfJd9L-Y
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Jason Dermer

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »

Why oh why would anyone ever have to hang their line array from a single motor (more than double enough for the weight) and then use a (rated) chainfall to make the slight angle adjustment needed? Could it be the lighting company showing up two motors short to safely hang their rig? Hmmmm.....
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Randy Frierson

Steve Payne just got Prosight
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »

Hey Steve just got a prosight kit maybe he can chime in with his thoughts...Randy

Steve Payne

• http://soundworksva.com
Re: Steve Payne just got Prosight
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »

Yep, definitely positive initial impressions.This is a really nice package.  Build quality is very robust. Simple to operate and appears to be spot on accurate compared to my existing inclinometer.   I need to design and build mounting brackets to fit the Flex bumper.  The plan is for this to be part of a system that will take full advantage of the Flex's unique single point, adjustable suspension.  More details later.
steve

"My favorite things turn money into noise"

"Too much power is just right", - Carroll Shelby

Steve Payne

• http://soundworksva.com
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:58 AM »

Also, a couple of things.  

One, the AA battery pack fits a little loose in its retaining bracket inside the case of the reader unit.  You can hear and feel it sliding back and forth inside of it's captive position - just 1/4" or less - but it bugged me.  I put a small piece of stick on foam on either end of the battery pack and it snugged things right up.  No more rattle.

Secondly, and this should be obvious to anyone with half a brain (but wasn't to me until Randy pointed out the error of my ways).  The sending unit must be in the proper orientation, ie, flat and perpendicular to the measurement source (so that you can read the writing on the side of the sending unit).  For instance, the laser will work fine, but the inclinometer will NOT, if it is in this position as shown in one of Bennet's photos:

index.php/fa/30416/0/

Again, this should probably be obvious, but I didn't see it explicitly stated in the manual and it got me for sure.   Embarassed

This thing really is cool.
steve

"My favorite things turn money into noise"

"Too much power is just right", - Carroll Shelby

Randy Frierson

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »

enjoy my friend, your new sc 48 is enroute...let me know what you come up with for a mounting bracket for flexarray..we currently stock brackets for D&B, V Dosc, Meyer and JBL....Randy

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:56:35 PM »

Used these inclinometers for some real throw last week in Worcester, MA's DCU Center. 195' from the array to the farthest seat, and the ProSight let me nail the coverage out of the box. The laser was invaluable in helping my excellent union crew (thanks, local 96!) get the in/out angle of the array correct.

The very stable angle indication is the best feature of this device. No guessing, the angle is what it says it is, saves a bunch of time yelling back and forth.

My custom gaff tape attachment method continues to work well, although on this particular fly bar there was just a little window for the laser.

That damn 6-pin cable is always either too long or two short... about 30' too short for this gig, so it had to get tied up on top of the flown truss instead of terminating back stage where I could keep an eye on it.

index.php/fa/30607/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »

index.php/fa/30608/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »

You can just see the arrays in this photo... I need an SLR if I'm going to take photos like this.

index.php/fa/30609/0/
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »

The ProSight continues to be a God-send, I can get my arrays trimmed and angle set in a fraction of the time it would take with a non-interpolating inclinometer. The stability of the display continues to be a big selling point, the laser is nice indoors but on this outdoor gig I didn't bother to hunt for it. 150' of throw with only a 29' trim, but I had plenty of boxes and had done my computer work the night before... once again everything was dead on out of the box. I couldn't be happier.

I am having two small problems. First, the sleep time on the reader is much too fast! I would prefer it was variable in some way, or that I could disable it... sometimes I just need to leave that thing on while I go do something else so my crew can finish setting the array for me. Having to explain how to use the device, having them forget, having to stop what I'm doing and turn it on again and then activate the laser again... pain in the ass.

Second, often when I connect the cable from the sender to the reader it will display a completely inaccurate angle (like 22
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.