ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Banjo miking, your thoughts?  (Read 18510 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Banjo miking, your thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

For live I like dynamics like the Audix I-5, ATM 650, Old EV variable D mics like the PL6, and the original RE series. The variable D mics work well on acoustic guitar where the player is all over the mic, they help even out the proximity effect.

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »

Banjo miking, your thoughts?

AKG C451. That's the best mic I've had the pleasure of using on a banjo. Everyone else is right. Placement is everything. If you don't need any monitor, or much gain, I find right at the (body) end of the neck, 30-50cm from the instrument will give a nice balanced sound (though not much GBF).

Todd Huffines

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »

SM57 and Beta 57, I prefer the beta 57.  +1 on placement. 

Roland Clarke

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 04:34:24 AM »

My serious thoughts are much as above, however, in live sound situations bugs/pick-ups have a lot of advantages (particularly in terms of GBF) and can sound fine if they are good quality and well placed.

Ultimately you have to consider player movement (unless you are using a clip on style), I would also echo the thoughts that condensors generally are a better option than dynamics.  It might be that when all is weighed up a good pick-up will deliver a more consistant result.  It's a judgement call only you and the player can make.

Todd Huffines

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »

My serious thoughts are much as above, however, in live sound situations bugs/pick-ups have a lot of advantages (particularly in terms of GBF) and can sound fine if they are good quality and well placed.

Ultimately you have to consider player movement (unless you are using a clip on style), I would also echo the thoughts that condensors generally are a better option than dynamics.  It might be that when all is weighed up a good pick-up will deliver a more consistant result.  It's a judgement call only you and the player can make.

And take in to consideration the stage volume.  That is usually my biggest obstacle.  I have worked with my full time gig to get pickups on their dobro and banjo.  That is the best way to do it. IMO

Jason M Wagner

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »

I thank all of you for your input. Now, I'll throw this into the mix: The banjo player is wireless and moves about the stage. We are looking towards the pickup choice. What are your thoughts on a wireless banjo setup? Pickup? Mic? What kind of pickup/mic?

Thanks again.

Todd Huffines

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »

I thank all of you for your input. Now, I'll throw this into the mix: The banjo player is wireless and moves about the stage. We are looking towards the pickup choice. What are your thoughts on a wireless banjo setup? Pickup? Mic? What kind of pickup/mic?

Thanks again.
http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=7

I installed this one recently.  It does a good job for me.  The banjo player seems to like it too. 

Daniel Cash

• SR Forums
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »

Thanks again.

One of the mics that was recommended throughout this thread is the AT pro35 which audio technica offers for wireless systems, look up the PRO 35cW. 

On the other hand, a pickup system does offers a more universal connector, which can be used with any wireless system, so that might be the better option.

Jason M Wagner

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »

One of the mics that was recommended throughout this thread is the AT pro35 which audio technica offers for wireless systems, look up the PRO 35cW. 

On the other hand, a pickup system does offers a more universal connector, which can be used with any wireless system, so that might be the better option.

That is one of the drawbacks of the selection of microphones for wireless. We have all Shure wireless equipment.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »

I use this banjo pick up with great results:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KK5.htm

It sounds very natural and is pretty hot even without a pre amp.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:07:07 PM by Chuck Simon »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.