ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banjo miking, your thoughts?  (Read 18511 times)

Lee Brenkman

Re: Banjo miking, your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »

I completely agree with the tonal response of the DPA microphones.  However, as a player as well as a sound fellow I must point out that instrumentalists (be they banjo players, horn players or whatever) will quite  often prefer a stand mounted mic over an instrument mounted mic so they can control the dynamics and presence by working the mic.  I prefer a mic mounted on my fiddle, bass or my accordion, but prefer to have a stand mounted mic for banjo, mandolin, guitar, trombone, etc. 

With some instruments the player needs to be able to get "off mic" to a greater or lesser extent.  The banjo is often one of these.

My thoughts:

Player who can actually control the dynamics of the instrument themselves by picking harder or softer and varying their attack---Definitely the DPA 4099 or the Shure Beta 98 attached to the instrument.

Guys who prefer the microphone on a stand and know how to "work" the mic and don't need the banjo in the monitors turned up to "eleven"---large diaphragm condenser along the lines of AT4033, Neuman TLM103, AKG 414 and SOMETIMES a dynamic, an EV RE20.

Guys who just don't have a clue how to work the microphone---An SM57 and preparation for explaining to the banjo players in the audience why it sounds like "that".

Player who DOES expect the banjo to go to "eleven" in the monitors---contact mic and maybe a direct feed to a Twin Reverb for backup :-(.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 07:07:59 PM »

My thoughts:

Player who can actually control the dynamics of the instrument themselves by picking harder or softer and varying their attack---Definitely the DPA 4099 or the Shure Beta 98 attached to the instrument.

Guys who prefer the microphone on a stand and know how to "work" the mic and don't need the banjo in the monitors turned up to "eleven"---large diaphragm condenser along the lines of AT4033, Neuman TLM103, AKG 414 and SOMETIMES a dynamic, an EV RE20.

Guys who just don't have a clue how to work the microphone---An SM57 and preparation for explaining to the banjo players in the audience why it sounds like "that".

Player who DOES expect the banjo to go to "eleven" in the monitors---contact mic and maybe a direct feed to a Twin Reverb for backup :-(.

I could have been a little clearer on this.  Sometimes the player will simply want to be "off mic"........which is pretty much impossible with a clip-on.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »

The 4033 is not a large diaphragm mic, a small diaphragm mic capsule in a large diaphragm package.
Not that it makes it a bad mic in anyway.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 03:12:09 AM »

I used a KMS 105 last week, and it worked quite well.  I had four across the front of the stage as solo and fill mics for a Bluegrass band, as well as a LDC in the middle for all of them.  With players as adept as were on the stage, one could have done it with any number of decent mics and had a fine result.  Personally, I think bright dynamics are ok here too; 57s and 421s if I didn't have the condensers or if they needed a lot of monitor volume work fine. 

I haven't met too many banjo players who need a lot of monitor volume...  ;)

Cheers,
Nils

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »

You shouldn't say that on a forum full of guys with names like mine!

Dunc-

You've never been accused of "piping in public" have you? At least, outside a parade, funeral or other event...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 12:27:58 PM »

Dunc-

You've never been accused of "piping in public" have you? At least, outside a parade, funeral or other event...

I believe there's a significant difference between "piping" and "laying pipe".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »

Banjo miking, your thoughts?

Best setup I ever dealt with, a player had the capsule of a SM57 mounted inside the banjo fairly close to where the neck meets the body/ring.
Sounded good (as far as my limited experience with the banjo goes) and was easy to get into monitors and PA without feedback.

Worst setup I ever had was a SM-57 and the quietest banjo player on planet earth who wouldn't/couldn't keep the banjo anywhere near the mic.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.