ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Identify and advise  (Read 5450 times)

Derek Konop

Help Identify and advise
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:40:36 AM »

I have been lurking around these forums for a long time and want to thank everybody up front for the knowledge available here.

Here's my current issue,

Got these boxes for dirt cheap. Used them a few times and they sound pretty bad.  I run sound for my smallish bar band, usually crowds of around 100 people.  Wondering if you guys could help identify what these are and what I should do with them.

Drivers are peavey 18" BW's not Low riders.  No other badging or logos.  Very boomy and ringy at 100 to 125 hz. Tried crossing over anywhere from 80 up to 130 and dumped 100 and or 125 on a graphic to help with the ringing but have been unable to get them to sound decent. Don't have a parametric or an RTA to utilize.

Power is a mackie fr800 bridged into the pair.  Not alot of power, but I am not pushing the amp to clipping. High passed at 40hz.

Wondering if I could put the Drivers in a simple double 18 reflex box and get a decent sound out of them for the small crowds we entertain. Or different drivers in the boxes.  Or just get rid of them and put the $ towards some quality subs.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Derek

I'll snap some better pics tomorrow.
Come to Green Bay, the weather is nice!

Scott Deeter

Re: Help Identify and advise
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:59 AM »

These look similar to a HD15 I've recently seen on Speakerplans.com while wondering.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/hd15-build-pics_topic26420.htm l

index.php/fa/28256/0/

Take care,
Scott Deeter

Adam Kane

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »

+1 on the HD15...and the Peavey driver is not on the list of suggested drivers for the cabinet.

Jon Waller

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »

That basic design dates from the 70's.  There was a Sunn cabinet with a Vega 18 that looked like that.  We owned some.  Not much below 70 Hz.
Engineer
ISP Technologies

Derek Konop

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »

I had found the HD15 plans a while back but these are much bigger and the drivers are 18"

Not much below 70hz sounds about right to me, from the little bit I've been able to run them.

Derek

Derek Konop

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

I forgot to mention that I got a 3rd 18" BW driver with the deal.  I'm not familiar with T/S parameters and box design, are these drivers something that would perform well in single or double front loaded reflex boxes?

I'm a carpenter by trade and have access to cheap or free build materials.  We also have a local line-x dealer who does a great job with boxes for other guys locally.

Just wondering what you guys would do with these.

Derek

Mike Smith

• http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »

Derek Konop wrote on Mon, 22 February 2010 11:59

I forgot to mention that I got a 3rd 18" BW driver with the deal.  I'm not familiar with T/S parameters and box design, are these drivers something that would perform well in single or double front loaded reflex boxes?

I'm a carpenter by trade and have access to cheap or free build materials.  We also have a local line-x dealer who does a great job with boxes for other guys locally.

Just wondering what you guys would do with these.

Derek

Sell them and use the money to buy something more effective, like B&C, JBL, or Peavey 18 Low Rider drivers. There are lots of Web resources available to help you decide on cabinet dimensions and driver attributes. Peavey, for example, posts very detailed box recommendations for the Low Riders.

Most if not all Peavey Black Widow woofers are designed for higher efficiency at the expense of low bass output. They will run out of useful excursion very quickly if you load them into vented direct radiator boxes.

I think the original Sunn boxes were called the 118SR or 118FH or some such thing. They were small, square, peak generators.

You'll probably need more power; definitely if you go to four 18" drivers...but now you're talking about a significant upgrade.
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com

Derek Konop

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »

Thanks for the advice, That's kind of the answer I had in my head already. I'll hit the peavey and partsexpress websites and check on new drivers and box designs.

Derek

Art Welter

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »

Derek Konop wrote on Mon, 22 February 2010 10:53

Thanks for the advice, That's kind of the answer I had in my head already. I'll hit the peavey and partsexpress websites and check on new drivers and box designs.

Derek

Since you have amp headroom, before you give up on the cabinets, try some drastic EQ. Short horns roll off like crazy, don't be shy.
As long as you are not clipping the amp, and not compressing or limiting,the Black Widows should hang in there.

Leave the 40 HZ HP in, go +6 at 40, +3 at 50, flat at 60, -6 at 80.
Underlap the crossover if it has the capability.

If you hear any "flapping" sounds, back off on the low end boost.

John Halliburton

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 02:04:36 PM »

Derek Konop wrote on Mon, 22 February 2010 11:53

Derek

Not sure what your budget is, but you might call John at Acoustic Elegance and take a look at his 15" and 18" offerings:

http://www.aespeakers.com/

He's right in your area.

Take a look at the new Eminence 15" LAB subwoofer driver too, along with the other suggested drivers.

Best regards,

John
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.