ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Active Line Array for Working Band  (Read 58653 times)

steve cook

Re: Active Line Array for Working Band
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »

Okay, I have to admit it, you guys are probably right about jumping into the 'big' rig right off the bat.

I take that back, you are right.

We do need to upgrade from the Bose, tho.  I think if we rolled with a rig that was just one stack per side, it would be sufficient coverage for the majority of the outdoor gigs and mid sized clubs we'd do.  

As much as I'd love to have my ego fed by walking into a place with a Cobra or other sexy rig, building our system isn't something that is going to be accomplished overnight.  

I appreciate everyone's feedback, because you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do, or probably ever will.  I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

Jay Barracato

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »

Steve,

Most of the places I set up won't allow me the time to setup, tune, and teardown anything more complex than a single stack per side or SOS. If most of your shows are the band shows up, plays, and then tears down you will be happier with a simple rig.

Jay
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Dave Rickard

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »

steve cook wrote on Tue, 02 March 2010 22:30

Okay, I have to admit it, you guys are probably right about jumping into the 'big' rig right off the bat.

I take that back, you are right.

We do need to upgrade from the Bose, tho.  I think if we rolled with a rig that was just one stack per side, it would be sufficient coverage for the majority of the outdoor gigs and mid sized clubs we'd do.  

As much as I'd love to have my ego fed by walking into a place with a Cobra or other sexy rig, building our system isn't something that is going to be accomplished overnight.  

I appreciate everyone's feedback, because you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do, or probably ever will.  I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

This thread has been interesting.

A typical response on this forum to this type of query is "You're gonna need a lot more rig than that, and it's gonna cost a lot more money than you thought."

Your opposite situation is unique.  

You've gotten good advice, I'm glad to see you're following it.  Good luck.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 10:13:11 AM »

If your intention is to build up a sound system over time, there's nothing wrong with deploying a few cabinets of line array per side.

Obviously no line array cabinet is going to develop line-source properties with just a few cabinets. Some of them don't even sound right with just a few cabinets.

But if your plan is to expand over time up to a large venue system, start with it now. You don't want to buy a bunch of gear for a point-source system and then, a year down the road, have to start all over again from scratch. Just know that until you get above several cabinets per side, you don't have a "line array."

We got in to the VRX for this reason - they are an expandable point-source system.  I *wish* we had gotten in to a real line array cabinet, but at least half of my decision was based on cross-rental availability in our area.

The DVA line array that pops up on the PSW ads looks pretty cool. Never heard it, though, so who knows.

Buying with expandability in mind is a pretty good way to go.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Dick Rees

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »

Yes, "future-proofing" your rig by selecting components which can be added to over time to form a larger, coherent system is a great idea.  But in this case (band playing only a few larger outdoor gigs) I would still say let someone else take care of the small percentage of gigs requiring a larger system.....and an technician capable of proper deployment and operation of said rig.

One question I would consider applicable:

How long do most bands stay together and what happens to the co-owned gear when the band inevitably goes different ways?
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Adam Schaible

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »

Plus... I think you could make the argument that a JFL or VRX rig really couldn't cover any more than a high end point source rig, so the argument of future proofing is a bit irrelevant in my opinion.  6 VRX boxes per side isn't going to do any more than a flown pair of high end tops.

Not to mention, ground stacking VRX's doesn't make a whole lot of sense because the splay of the box prohibits anything beyond 3 boxes unless they are pretty high.

Same with JFL's.

I know the pole socket has a downard angle so that gets you a 2-per-side setup.

Duncan McLennan

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »

Yep.  But one VRX on its own sounds like rubbish in my experience.  So you're pretty much stuck with using two per side on a pole, and after that they've gotta be in the air anyway.

So I'd stick with a trap system.
dcm
Waterloo & London, Ontario

steve cook

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »

Good points, guys.  I don't forsee our business relationship ending any time soon, we're all solid friends and if, worst case scenario did happen, I'm certain we could resolve it in an amicable method.

That being said.....altho many rave about powered boxes, I'm still leaning towards racks and stacks.   Stacks used, I think we can deal with that, and the amps new.  The type of mid high box would be something that, ideally, we could also use as a wedge or side fill if we're not using two stacks at FOH.  The QRx 115's and 212's come to mind as being ideal.  On that, we'd probably initially roll with one stack per side, and rent more when needed.

Also looking at some of the JBL SR stuff, mostly because the used market has those boxes at around the 500 price point.  And the EV Zx stuff looks pretty solid.  

For subs, I'm being really attracted to Growlers.  We can get into the 2010 models, Jeff said they'd be ready mid April.

Dave Rickard

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »

Dick Rees wrote on Wed, 03 March 2010 08:20

Yes, "future-proofing" your rig by selecting components which can be added to over time to form a larger, coherent system is a great idea.  But in this case (band playing only a few larger outdoor gigs) I would still say let someone else take care of the small percentage of gigs requiring a larger system.....and an technician capable of proper deployment and operation of said rig.

I bought my cars, I bought my truck, but I'd rent a backhoe.  Actually I'd hire a backhoe operator.  Very similar.

But if I were digging holes every week, I'd buy a backhoe.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Rick Powell

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 01:05:16 AM »

If you want to hear JTR Triple 8's I am in IL, off of Exit 81 (just over an hour away from Quad Cities).  Next decent size show is April 9 in Ottawa, IL but I might have an acoustic or 3-piece gig before that.

You can PM me if you like.
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.