ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for S/PDIF to balanced line converter  (Read 4392 times)

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: Looking for S/PDIF to balanced line converter
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Fri, 19 February 2010 08:48

Yes and no. You do want to use high quality cable and connectors, but for short runs regular audio grade RCA-RCA cables are usually fine. S/PDIF is really a consumer format and not intended for long runs.

AES is either 110Ω balanced (AES3) or 75Ω unbalanced (AES3-id). The 75Ω unbalanced signal is usually on 75Ω BNC connectors, and should use 75Ω coax. AES on coax can run longer distance than AES balanced. Balanced lines are better at rejecting induced noise than unbalanced, but coax is better at transmitting the very high frequencies inherent in digital audio.

Mac

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the info and correction, Mac.  I've seen (and had to use) "regular" RCAs & cable for that purpose before but didn't know if there was a negative impact on the signal as compared to using the "correct" cable.  I guess in most instances like that (short runs) it would be negligible.
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 15 queries.