ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for using Beta 52 with Yamaha SubKick  (Read 6860 times)

Jeff Wheeler

Re: Tips for using Beta 52 with Yamaha SubKick
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »

Matt Vivlamore wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 16:00

But to be honest, I thinik it is much easier to mix a band with each wedge on a monitor mix than say 3 speakers an 1 mix.

+1 I would rather have more mixes than less.

IMO the SubKick is a cute gimmick but I wouldn't buy one.  The reason you rarely see them used by themselves is they lose a lot of the sound from the beater on the drum head, and it doesn't magically make crappy drums sound better, so ...  Rolling Eyes

The SubKick output is pretty hot.  You might need to pad it so it does not clip your preamp input.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Art Welter

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 11:07

lol

So you are saying the SubKick is a $380 overkill for a bar band? I thought so too, but figured I should figure out a game plan for this new band I'm working with. This is one of those bands who think they are bigger than what they are. Thats why they are playing the VFW with 13 inputs and 4 monitor mixes.  Evil or Very Mad

I’ve seen bar bands using 13 inputs on the drums alone.

Using two kick mics is fairly  common, but usually one of them is chosen to provide decent transient response...

To avoid some of the phase and decay issues, try rolling off the bottom on the Beta 52, and the top of the SubKick, think of it like a two-way speaker system using the tone controls as a crossover. In fact, if you have  a spare stereo  crossover, using it for channel inserts could help.

The SubKick is a floppy little bass speaker used as a mike, and tends to  “ring” a bit after the signal is gone, gating will help remove some of the “dung”.

Since you are probably going pre EQ in the monitors, I would suggest using only one or the other in the monitors, the B-52 would be preferable.

Have fun!

Art Welter

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

Ok thanks guys. I will set it up and look at it.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Art Welter

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 17:31

Ok thanks guys. I will set it up and look at it.

Look at it?

Listen, adjust, mix.

Davide_Bonetti

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:34 PM »

Stavross (Sam Buck) wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 21:50

Matt Vivlamore wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 12:00

I'd go for the Placebo effect...

Use the B52, but plug up the SubKick.

Make it the double placebo effect and use a D6 instead.

+1  Twisted Evil

Jason Tubbs

• http://www.xenu.net
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 12:23:08 AM »

Insert a FunkLogic AP-302 on your Yamaha SubKick for maximum effect.  Or affect.

jt
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion"  - L. Ron Hubbard

Ned Ward

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 12:47:12 AM »

Now you're talking. I hotrodded mine with custom Radio Shack knobs - the sound is much smoother now...

Uh oh. I checked and I only have the DD-301 Digilog Dynamicator 1RU version - clearly yours is twice as good (and tall).

John Neil

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:46 AM »

Working as crew for a national show in a local room.  Show carried a subkick, along with plenty of unobtainium toys.  I regularly work the room as soundguy when locally staffed.

FYI, room has four EAW SB528z, each bridged on a PL236.  750 cap.  Not gonna hurt anybody, but reaches lower than anything I've heard before, and gets the job done.

Another "very experienced local sound guy" who likes to hear his own voice commented that the room should buy a subkick since we have subs with substantial bottom capability.  He said it was really good at capturing the lower fundamentals of the kick drum.

Last I checked, the first fundamental of a 22" kick wasn't all that low.  I guess he meant the imaginary 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 fundamentals.  I thought it was pretty funny and went about my way, repairing an INOP MAC700 that was sent to us.

Clearly, fundamental freuencies don't fully explain how a kick drum makes sound.

I'd be interested in hearing if you felt like it had anything that a typical kick mic wasn't capable of reproducing.  You know, B52, D6, etc.  Lately my secret sauce...depending on drum of course - always listen first...has been the e901/D6 combo.  D6 routed to subs and compressed with a hard mid scoop gives boom.  e901 kept out of the subs with a mid cut finds click.  Actually had similar result using a B52/D6 combo (e901 wouldn't fit in hole) by tossing the D6 on the pillow.  I don't think there's much down there I'm missing, but I'm open to suggestions otherwise.

In any case, not going to buy one.  Doesn't fit into my mic case, gig case, toolbox, or backpack...and I can't carry anything else to walk-in gigs on my bicycle.  As long as there's enough rig, I think I've got the kick drum thing covered.

As an aside, that particular band was also using a B52 at the hole and an SM91, mounted on a plexiglass "boundary", sitting on the pillow inside.  Someday I'll be good enough to have 3 channels of kick.  Or maybe it's, someday I'll have a drummer great enough for 3 channels of kick.

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:11:52 PM »

John Neil wrote on Sat, 20 February 2010 01:45

Someday I'll be good enough to have 3 channels of kick.  Or maybe it's, someday I'll have a drummer great enough for 3 channels of kick.

I have shamelessly pirated this image from Dave Rat's blog.  His drummer must be particularly great!
index.php/fa/28227/0/
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

John Cameron

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Sat, 20 February 2010 20:11

John Neil wrote on Sat, 20 February 2010 01:45

Someday I'll be good enough to have 3 channels of kick.  Or maybe it's, someday I'll have a drummer great enough for 3 channels of kick.

I have shamelessly pirated this image from Dave Rat's blog.  His drummer must be particularly great!
index.php/fa/28227/0/

I'd like to see a pic of the drums with all those mics installed Shocked
JBL VRX / SRX / SR / Eon-g2
LSR4328P + LSR4312SP -studio
Yorkville Elite 2000EX
2-PL236
4-IT6K
Studiolive 24.4.2
Yamaha Digital
Rode / Shure / Sennheiser / Neumann / AKG
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.