ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting Monitor Out  (Read 3071 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Splitting Monitor Out
« on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »

Once again, my 2 aux board is kicking me...I've got a ART mic splitter that I normally use to run two sets of monitors on the same mix. I run sound for a band that just got 2 wireless IEM's. They need the 2 IEM mixes, and a wedge that will copy one of the IEM mixes. So my solution is to use the ART splitter again for this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I just need a TRS(f) - XLR(f) adapter to make this work.

Come out of the board 1/4" to splitter (xlr-m), come out of splitter (xlr-f) to amp for wedges, and for the IEM come out of the other side of the splitter (xlr-f to trs-f adapter) to plug the 1/4" cable coming from the IEM transmitter. Follow me?

FIX: XLR(f) - 1/4"(f) adapter. Should the 1/4" be mono or stereo or does it matter?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Art Welter

Re: Splitting Monitor Out
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 16:08

Once again, my 2 aux board is kicking me...I've got a ART mic splitter that I normally use to run two sets of monitors on the same mix. I run sound for a band that just got 2 wireless IEM's. They need the 2 IEM mixes, and a wedge that will copy one of the IEM mixes. So my solution is to use the ART splitter again for this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I just need a TRS(f) - XLR(f) adapter to make this work.

Come out of the board 1/4" to splitter (xlr-m), come out of splitter (xlr-f) to amp for wedges, and for the IEM come out of the other side of the splitter (xlr-f to trs-f adapter) to plug the 1/4" cable coming from the IEM transmitter. Follow me?

FIX: XLR(f) - 1/4"(f) adapter. Should the 1/4" be mono or stereo or does it matter?

A mic splitter is for mic level.

Use a “Y” adaptor, or the parallel connection on your amp’s input.

Use TRS for balanced sends down your snake.

A single mix is mono.
Two mixes can be configured in stereo.
It does matter to some people.

Ned Ward

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »

Do the IEM units have a passthrough line out? you may be able to solve your issue without extra cables. Same with your power amp - many have a passthrough for sending the line-level signal to another amp, but that can also be sent to the IEM input. That way no splitter. Let us know which power amp and which IEM's they will be using.

Do you have the ART SplitCom, and if so, what does it say in the instructions/online manual? If it's rated for line level and line level, you should be OK. Otherwise, a line level wye cable should be good.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »

It is the Shure P2TRE2-H2 PSM 200 system.

No parallel connection on my Crown XLS's

The splitter is the ART ProSplit, not the SplitCom. It has worked fine when I need to send one mix to two pairs of wedges and use my other aux for one IEM mix...
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Ned Ward

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »

the web is a wondrous thing:

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/ documents/web_resource/us_pro_psm200_en_ug.pdf

The shure IEM has 2 XLR outs on the back - each mirrors the mix input, so you could go

Mixer out ->IEM channel 1 input
IEM Channel 1 output -> Crown XLS input for wedge

No need for splitters, custom wye wires, just a good TRS-TRS or TRS-XLR cable from your mixer to the iEM panel.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »

Ned Ward wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 18:48

the web is a wondrous thing:

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/ documents/web_resource/us_pro_psm200_en_ug.pdf

The shure IEM has 2 XLR outs on the back - each mirrors the mix input, so you could go

Mixer out ->IEM channel 1 input
IEM Channel 1 output -> Crown XLS input for wedge

No need for splitters, custom wye wires, just a good TRS-TRS or TRS-XLR cable from your mixer to the iEM panel.

Ohhh. Well thats great and easy. Perfect. Thanks Ned, I understand now
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Ned Ward

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »

no worries - I'd just recommend when working with new gear, either your own or with a band's, download the user manuals to familiarize yourself with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.