ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3-Way Passive Split?  (Read 2561 times)

Peter Etheredge

3-Way Passive Split?
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

I'm working on a church auditorium install that will have provisions for a recording console (02Rv96 that they already have), a monitor console (GL2800 they are currently using for FOH), and M7-48 (New for FOH).  What I'm wondering is if I need to get some rack mount splitters or if I can just do a simple hard wired direct split, such as with the EWI poorman's snakes that we use extremely successfully at work.

It would be something just like this picture below that I saved off the forums a long while ago (I wish I remembered who posted it as they did an awesome job) except there would be three outputs tied together in the screw terminals as opposed to one:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3544/cartertsbox1a.jpg

Thanks!
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Art Welter

Re: 3-Way Passive Split?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »

As always, “it depends”.

Try hooking the three consoles together with two “Y” cords, if it works without noise, a hard wire split should be fine.

Leaving pin one connections open on two of the consoles won’t hurt, either.

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »

I have in the past used ADC punch devices to split signal, but not as a signal split to consoles.  I believe you would want something that would have lift switches as needed.  Whirlwind will punch a load stage panels and mount ADC punch blocks on the back.  They will wire everything to the underside of the punch block, the user will punch FOH lines into the front side of the block.  The punch block is mounted to the back of the panel, and the panel installs into a standard Hoffman back box. This would do the stage split passive for you.  At front of house you could essentially do the same thing with a split to FOH and recording.  Then again...if they have a M7 console, maybe you should look into digital products, splitting passively (analog) onstage, and then figuring a digital split system at FOH for recording and FOH.

I have pics of our install if interested.

Chuck Fudge
Technical Director
Braden Auditorium/Bone Student Center

Brad Weber

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »

It should work but it will triple the chances of ground loops, provide no isolation between consoles and provide a significantly lower input impedance to the mic, about 857 Ohms for the three consoles in parallel versus the 2k Ohms (A&H) to 3k Ohms (Yamahas) of each console alone.

This is a very good article on mic splitter options, http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/Mic_Splitters.pdf, maybe it will help with understanding the pros and cons of each approach.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.