ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Composer Gain Issues  (Read 2061 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Composer Gain Issues
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »

Hello,
I recently came across a Behringer Composer MDX 2100 Compressor. So of course I did what anyone would have done in this situation and took it apart, and then did some chip replacing.  Anyway I only modified one side so I could do a little A/B testing.  During my listening I noticed that to get unity gain out of this thing I needed to set the output gain control knob at +14....on both channels.  Can this thing really be that far off?  It has relays controlling whether or not the compressor is "Inserted" so currently my tests are of unity gain are strictly audible between the In/Out functionality.  Anyway, messing with the output gain also controls the output level meter (obviously) but now compression thresholds don't visually match up.  Has anyone else noticed this gain structure issue?   

On a side note very quickly i noticed low frequency roll off with the compressor in...but no compression happening...and a lot of hiss. I will be running some frequency response tests tomorrow with systune...because I have that kinda time. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Composer Gain Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »

Hello,
I recently came across a Behringer Composer MDX 2100 Compressor. So of course I did what anyone would have done in this situation and took it apart, and then did some chip replacing.  Anyway I only modified one side so I could do a little A/B testing.  During my listening I noticed that to get unity gain out of this thing I needed to set the output gain control knob at +14....on both channels.  Can this thing really be that far off?  It has relays controlling whether or not the compressor is "Inserted" so currently my tests are of unity gain are strictly audible between the In/Out functionality.  Anyway, messing with the output gain also controls the output level meter (obviously) but now compression thresholds don't visually match up.  Has anyone else noticed this gain structure issue?   

On a side note very quickly i noticed low frequency roll off with the compressor in...but no compression happening...and a lot of hiss. I will be running some frequency response tests tomorrow with systune...because I have that kinda time.

It's broke.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Composer Gain Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.