ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dental health plans?  (Read 962 times)

Jeff Wheeler

dental health plans?
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:10 AM »

Does anyone here have experience purchasing dental health plans?  My insurance agent (strangely) does not offer this.  I would like my teeth and gums to be in better health and don't want to pay "list price" for the work.  I thought that was the point of having these insurance schemes; however it seems to me like dental plans are almost a total waste of money.

I have only asked one dentist but I got the impression that I would be better off just negotiating a cheaper rate and paying cash than forcing them to jump through hoops to collect some of their money from the plan while still having to pay for much of it myself.

I can change my regular health insurance plan, and in fact I may do so anyway, because it has doubled in price in the past three years, and we have had basically no claims in our group other than ordinary visits to the doctor, flu shots, etc.  So if that might somehow help me get a good dental plan, it is an option.

I am a little jealous of a friend who spent a week in jail and got tons of free dental work while he was there.  wtf?  Maybe I should take a week off work, commit a crime, and complain about a toothache while I am waiting to be let out!
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

Charlie Zureki

Re: dental health plans?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 08:48

Does anyone here have experience purchasing dental health plans?  My insurance agent (strangely) does not offer this.  I would like my teeth and gums to be in better health and don't want to pay "list price" for the work.  I thought that was the point of having these insurance schemes; however it seems to me like dental plans are almost a total waste of money.

I have only asked one dentist but I got the impression that I would be better off just negotiating a cheaper rate and paying cash than forcing them to jump through hoops to collect some of their money from the plan while still having to pay for much of it myself.

I can change my regular health insurance plan, and in fact I may do so anyway, because it has doubled in price in the past three years, and we have had basically no claims in our group other than ordinary visits to the doctor, flu shots, etc.  So if that might somehow help me get a good dental plan, it is an option.

I am a little jealous of a friend who spent a week in jail and got tons of free dental work while he was there.  wtf?  Maybe I should take a week off work, commit a crime, and complain about a toothache while I am waiting to be let out!

Laughing

While your friend took advantage of a bad situation, I wouldn't recommend it. (They probably cut him loose because he was costing the system too much money) Laughing

Many years ago.. with little money and no insurance... I found a Dental College. It offered decent work for very reduced rates compared to traditional dentists.(about 1/4) The drawback was that you had to spend the whole day waiting for your chance in the chair.

Some patients were bumped to the front of the line...depending on their age, amount of work needed, etc...

Try this approach ...all they can do is say "their too booked to take on a new patients"

Cheers,
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Tom Reid

Re: dental health plans?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 09:07

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 08:48

Laughing

While your friend took advantage of a bad situation, I wouldn't recommend it. (They probably cut him loose because he was costing the system too much money) Laughing

Many years ago.. with little money and no insurance... I found a Dental College. It offered decent work for very reduced rates compared to traditional dentists.(about 1/4) The drawback was that you had to spend the whole day waiting for your chance in the chair.

Some patients were bumped to the front of the line...depending on their age, amount of work needed, etc...

Try this approach ...all they can do is say "their too booked to take on a new patients"

Cheers,
Hammer

Good advice Hammer.
Jeff is close to an IU campus.  They all have dental colleges.
For years I had the Gary campus taking care of my teeth.  Maybe he'll get lucky and have 3 hygenist too.
It wasn't a medical plan, it was free for letting them practice.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.