ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: e609 on Toms?  (Read 19272 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: e609 on Toms?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »

Dave Rickard wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 11:18

benjamin fisher wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 09:38

Well I mean like I have said before, I am not against e609's on toms, IF they will be durable enough to take stick whacks. No one has convinced me of this yet...

What sort of proof are you looking for?
You can help the rest of us by whacking yours with a stick, and posting back about the result.

Someone who has used these solely for this job and can say " I use these all the time and after many blows from sticks, no problems whatsoever"

Or else I will just go with some D2s or Opus 88s. I'd rather not be the test dummy.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

dustin Bradley

• http://www.myspace.com/drumdogman
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »

i really think the e609's will get in the way (especially on the smaller toms), and i'm sure you'll hear it when it gets hit.  go with the d2's... i promise you will not be disappointed.  Wink
~ dustin B

Bruce Gering

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 15:43

I'm looking for some affordable mics to use on snare/toms. I was going to just go with the typical sm57s. But thought about the e609, since they are only $10 more, and thought they could be easier placed in tight situations. Has anyone used these on any toms or snares? I know these are typically found on guitar cabs, but $100 is my budget on each mic.

Stay away from using the 57's, unless you want to be replacing 1 every other gig. These are the poorest mics I know of for taking a stick hit. One good one and they're gone.
Sometimes I wish I had a clone of myself so I could enjoy life while my clone worked for me. Thing is, my clone would just keep the money, or worse yet, I would be working while he enjoyed my life!

Rick Stansby

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

Bruce Gering wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 09:49

benjamin fisher wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 15:43

I'm looking for some affordable mics to use on snare/toms. I was going to just go with the typical sm57s. But thought about the e609, since they are only $10 more, and thought they could be easier placed in tight situations. Has anyone used these on any toms or snares? I know these are typically found on guitar cabs, but $100 is my budget on each mic.

Stay away from using the 57's, unless you want to be replacing 1 every other gig. These are the poorest mics I know of for taking a stick hit. One good one and they're gone.

FWIW The
Rick

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »

I'm still unsure of what everyone is afraid of. In over 15 years of doing live sound I can probably count on one hand how many times a stick has hit one of my mics. It's very few. Also I have never lost a mic due to a stick hit. NEVER. I will also let the drummer decide if anything is in his way. We work together to avoid hitting mics.

I've used 57's or 408's on toms for most of my career and have never lost one to a drummer.

So how about get what mics are right for you, and position them on drums where they won't get hit. You can see the strike pattern on the head of the drum. If the guy has good stick control hang the mic over the head a little farther, if not, then keep the mic way back off the rim. Your toms may not sound the best that night, but you won't lose a mic to a poor drummer either. And if the drummer has poor stick control, his drums probably won't sound great anyway.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »

I just read reviews on Harmony Central, several people saying they have used them and sound good on rack toms. I think with its laterally mounted capsule, you can position out of the way very easy to avoid stick hits, as well as keeping the cable vertical and out of the way in tight spaces. And the super cardioid pattern will isolate the rest of the set nicely. I'm going to pick up 2 or 3 of these and try them out. Being able to use them on guitar cabs is a nice plus too.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Walter Wright

Re: e609 on Toms? another "grampa" historical perspective
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »

Lee Brenkman wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 20:50

I have two 609s, the "version one" all gray ones.  I bought them for guitar amps but when I got the 906s I started using them for floor toms.

aren't the "pre-silver" 609s getting sorta collectible? i damn sure couldn't find one, but found plenty of folks looking for them. (i ended up with a 906 for my guitar, which i like.)
Professional Guitar Repair Tech,
Semi-professional Sound Guy

Tim Padrick

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »

I expect that the 609 is fine on snare and rack toms, I'd try it on floor before buying one for that application.

604 is fine on snare and rack toms, might be wimpy on floor (used it only once - might have been the drum - didn't have anything else to try).

D2 is fine on snare and rack toms, wimpy on floor tom.

ADX20 as above.

D4 is fine on anything.

D6 is good on kick, no advantage over the D4 on anything else.

Jack Gunn

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 01:25:58 AM »

The e906 (and I'd assume e609 also) are VERY light.  

When I bought my e906 used, I thought I had received the non-functional display model.  This may not translate well in to being able to take abuse from a drumstick.

The D2, on the other hand, is much more solid, heavy, beefy.  It also sounds identical to an MD421-II on toms at a much smaller price and size.  The MD421 has been well respected as a go-to mic on toms in the past so I use it as my reference.

I've done a lot of A-B testing and the D2 is the closest thing I've found for that full bodied sound the MD421 normally gives.

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 23:49

D6 is good on kick, no advantage over the D4 on anything else.

Except for when you put a D6 on an 18" floor tom. Then the D4 stands no chance. It's quite an impressive tone.

Evan
Not all change is good change.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.