ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think of the Beta 87a in this application?  (Read 3260 times)

Steve Sagerson

• http://www.myspace.com/partypushersband
What do you think of the Beta 87a in this application?
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:15:06 am »

I found a Shure ULXP24/Beta 57a system I can get for $500.  This seems like a good deal since the receiver itself is over $600 new.  

Here's my application:  The band is top 40 rock with a fairly loud stage depending on the room.  I've been singing 23 years and am considered to be a good singer.  Current moitors are Mackie C300's with GX3 power amps.  I use proper mic technique but I do like to eat the mic on the lower register stuff to gain some proximity effect on the songs it works for and to help with bleed from the loud stage.  Not sure how to describe my range and voice tone.  I'm told I sound like Rivers Quomo from Weezer.  You can click on one of the website links in my signature area to hear my tone/range if necessary.

If I can get this system for $500 is it worth it with this particular mic transmitter?  I think the mic is a condenser which I've heard isn't great for rock.  It seems like a good deal at that price, however, it's not THAT great of a deal if I'll never use that particular mic transmitter because it doesn't work for my application.  

Opinions on the Beta87a please.  (I did a search btw but didn't find too much info on my particular application)

Art Welter

Re: What do you think of the Beta 87a in this application?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:25 pm »

The Beta 87a will be good at picking up cymbals and other high frequency stuff unless you have a very loud voice and work the mic close.

Your voice might sound better, but the rest of the crap bleeding through the mike may obscure that fact.

It has a lower frequency proximity effect than most dynamic vocals, not something that is generally useful in top 40 rock.

Going with Shure, I'd go for a Beta 58 if you want crisp highs, or a regular 58 for more growl.

Brian Adams

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:04:30 pm »

So is it a Beta 87 or a Beta 57?  You mention both..

In any case, the 87 probably isn't the best choice for you if you're on a loud stage.  It will pick up a lot of stage wash.

But for that price, you might as well buy it.  Try the 87, see how it works.  If it's not ideal, buy a different capsule on ebay and change it.  You can find good used capsules for under $100.  You'll probably have better luck with a SM58, Beta 57, or Beta 58.

Depending on the kind of shows you do, you may want to use the 87 occasionally, if the situation warrants.  But if you find that you never use the 87 capsule, sell it on ebay.  You'll be able to get at least what you paid for the other capsule.
B.

Steve Sagerson

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:40:19 pm »

Sorry!  I did mention two different mics.  I did mean the Beta 87a.  I hadn't thought about being able to change the capsule.  Great idea.  Thanks!

Jack Gunn

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:32:05 am »

+1 on the fact that the 87a will pick up a lot of cymbals and other stage volume.

If you have a loud stage volume, switching from the 87a to a Beta 58 or Sennheiser e835 made a HUGE difference for me.  Now I just get voice, and NOTHING else.  Listening on the multitrack playback in post it seems like they were in a silent room singing alone compared to how much stage bleed the 87a picks up.

Think of an 87a for more quiet on stage volumes, for nuanced personal vocal sound.  Dynamic mics like the Beta 58, SM58, and e835 can be right in front of cranked elec guitar cabs and you'll still just get vocals.

Steve Sagerson

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 08:45:58 am »

10-4 on the mic bleed.  Been using a trusty wired SM58 and suffering almost no feedback.  I planned on sticking with a 58 but when I saw this deal I was curious.  If I get it I'll change the cartridge like Brian said.  

Thanks!

Bob Burke

• http://www.90dbband.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »

We use two 87A’s (Love them), but have no drummer and a very quiet stage. From your video it appears that you are usually positioned directly in front of your drummer. The 87A is not the best for that situation.

Also, you stated that “ I do like to eat the mic on the lower register stuff to gain some proximity effect on the songs it works for…”

The 87A has very little proximity effect at all. If I were you, I would stick with the old 58.

Geoff Doane

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 05:11:44 pm »

Steve Sagerson wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 12:15

I found a Shure ULXP24/Beta 57a system I can get for $500.  This seems like a good deal since the receiver itself is over $600 new.  

What frequency band does it operate in?  If it's 700 MHz, that might be why it's so cheap.  The quick search I did, didn't mention what range it was in, other than "TV bands".  I'd get a better answer for this before plunking down any money.

GTD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.