ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crappy Compressed DJ sound  (Read 12768 times)

tracy garner

Re: Crappy Compressed DJ sound
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:50 pm »

That might be the impossible situation.

I have to catch myself sometimes. I find myself trying to push my mixer to the sweet spot.

Often, I don't need a house console if I'm the only entertainment. I plug the DJ mixer straight into my main system processor, I need more gain straight from the DJ mixer in that config in order to provide the system processor with enough gain. Most DJ setups consist of Mixer => Processor = > Amps. The DJ mixer works at near unity in this setup. Its the sweet spot of most DJ mixers...

When I plug into a house mixing console, I don't need nearly as much gain to provide a full signal. The house DJ might expect -20, -30. I have to admit, I don't feel that same level of presence when I don't have that master gain on the DJ mixer near unity. The sweet spot is now missing even though the overall volume is there. Most djs will attempt to compensate for that "perceived" lack of presence.

I say let the DJ find that sweet spot on that DJ mixer and work around it. Other than that, I have a red box with 4 knobs that I typically plug in between the DJ mixer and the house console...

Tim Charpentier

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 19:56

Spenser J. Hamilton wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 17:12

A distorted signal is still a distorted signal no matter what I do on my end, and I refuse to believe that a pair of E2204s running off an XTi 4000 (along with the 5 MRX512s along the front) is not a big enough monitor on a 16x12 stage.

Distorted in the mains = distorted in the monitors, but maybe that's the tone he was going for?

Again:  A proper DJ mixer can be run ALL RED with no audible distortion.  From there on it's all gain structure.

I don't agree with the lack of distortion when running ALL RED. If you use a DJM-600 (ubiquitous mixer), you can add +9 from the "trim" function, AND +12 from EACH of the 3 bands of EQ (+12 treble can certainly distort the highs). Also, "ALL RED" for this mixer = +14 (according to the led metering).

Some distortion can CERTAINLY be the "sound" that he's going for. I've even had club patrons ask to "turn it up" when the system doesn't sound like it's being "pushed". Overdrive for a guitar amp and some overdrive of a PA system is a sound that many people like.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2010, 11:02:21 am »

Spenser J. Hamilton wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 20:39

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Fri, 05 February 2010 19:56

Again:  A proper DJ mixer can be run ALL RED with no audible distortion.  From there on it's all gain structure.

And when the DJ brings his own mixer?

+1. I don't supply guitars or drums either. I supply a sound system. I don't tell the guitar player how to play. I just tell him if it will be hard to get a good mix out front. When I run into DJ's they're bringing their own gear.

Who am I to tell them how to run their equipment. Like most musician's they should know how their equipment works. If they don't know how to mix/set gains, I do what I do with a crappy guitar player that has patches all over the place. Make mention that it seems to be a large volume difference, or added distortion. Is that what they're going for? Its up to them to ask for help.

Otherwise I just let them suck out loud if they don't mind/want to change anything. I'm not out to make enemy's I'm just out to make some money/break even at what I enjoy doing. If thats what they want to sound like, thats what I'll give them.

I can tell you normally the people that have Pioneer/Dennon/Rane equipment know what they're doing. But since this is the lounge I normally run into the american audio/Gemini DJ's that are still in training... Nothing against them, but I do my best to deal with what they give me. Just deal with it like when a keyboard player sandbag's you.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 15 queries.