ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A good, loud, intelligible outdoor PA horn?  (Read 4645 times)

Rain Jaudon

Re: A good, loud, intelligible outdoor PA horn?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 10:14:09 am »

Thanks for the morning laugh fellas..

And what a shame it is that no one comes out to watch the team play... (ie. no audience areas)
Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Tim A Perry

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:53 am »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 10:14

Thanks for the morning laugh fellas..

And what a shame it is that no one comes out to watch the team play... (ie. no audience areas)

Who eats the snacks?
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" ~ Berthold Auerbach

Don Boone

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 01:05:33 pm »

Quote:

Most systems try to keep energy off of the field and only on the audience area.

I did a college girls softball field and the sound on the field was much more important than the stands. I glad they mentioned that more than once or I would have really screwed up. They played quick music clips to fire up the team. Covering the 100 seat stands was secondary. I used a 90 degree Community R for the field and a Atlas AP30 for the stands. The community leaked a lot of low end off the back so the stands sounded pretty good too.

Be careful using multiple speakers at multiple locations. If they overlap you will likely have serious intelligibility problems from hearing the same sounds with different arrival times. The same college has a baseball field with 2 Cobraflex horns on light poles at first and third base. There is a thin line from home-plate to dead center field where the sound is OK. Otherwise it sounds like that old Lou Gehrig newsreel clip.

Don

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:00 pm »

Don Boone wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 13:05

Quote:

Most systems try to keep energy off of the field and only on the audience area.

I did a college girls softball field and the sound on the field was much more important than the stands. I glad they mentioned that more than once or I would have really screwed up. They played quick music clips to fire up the team. Covering the 100 seat stands was secondary. I used a 90 degree Community R for the field and a Atlas AP30 for the stands. The community leaked a lot of low end off the back so the stands sounded pretty good too.

EXACTLY why it is VERY important to define the goals-BEFORE any design work is to be done.

On the Atlanta Braves system redo that I was involved in-they wanted as much energy as possible to NOT be on the field.  They would like to hear nothing if possible.

We succeeded in getting about a 15dB reduction on the field.  And that was with 430 loudspeakers working.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Don Boone

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:51:24 pm »

Quote:

EXACTLY why it is VERY important to define the goals-BEFORE any design work is to be done.

It would have helped if I could have gone to a game to see how they used their old system. They play short clips between batters to fire up the team. Which made their weird request for a DJ type dual disc CD player perfectly logical. They ended up using a MP3 player.

Don

Ivan Beaver

Re: A good, loud, intelligible outdoor PA horn? Different target now?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 09:15:12 pm »

Don Boone wrote on Thu, 04 February 2010 15:51

Quote:

It would have helped if I could have gone to a game to see how they used their old system. They play short clips between batters to fire up the team. Which made their weird request for a DJ type dual disc CD player perfectly logical. They ended up using a MP3 player.

Don

OK maybe I am confused.  In your origional post you talked about wanting an announcement system, but now you are talking about music.  VERY different things-unless you like the sound of music through a paging horn.

Once again-DEFINE the target.  It looks different than it did earlier.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Don Boone

Re: A good, loud, intelligible outdoor PA horn? Different target now?
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 01:51:07 pm »

Quote:

unless you like the sound of music through a paging horn

Don't you work closely with a speaker company that makes horn speakers suitable for music ? Very Happy

The Community does pretty well with music. Paging horn for the 100 seat bleachers is mostly so that parents can hear there darlings announced when coming to bat. Plus plenty of low end leaks out the back of the Community. So the bleacher system is Bi-Amped.  Laughing

Don
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.