ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Phoenix Pricing?  (Read 7586 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: Phoenix Pricing?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 02:43:15 AM »

Dave Rickard wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 23:14

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 19:16

Thanks Ryan, I will be giving you a call this week. For sure.

I get the impression that you are fairly young.  Is your family moving also, or are you moving alone?

That will affect your cost of living.

I'm 25.
I've moved before, I was in Orlando for a year and a half, then moved back to Ohio.
I am moving with my girlfriend.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 01:43

Dave Rickard wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 23:14

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 01 February 2010 19:16

Thanks Ryan, I will be giving you a call this week. For sure.

I get the impression that you are fairly young.  Is your family moving also, or are you moving alone?

That will affect your cost of living.

I'm 25.
I've moved before, I was in Orlando for a year and a half, then moved back to Ohio.
I am moving with my girlfriend.

Consider finding other sources of income as well.  You'd rather be mixing bands than washing dishes for $10/hr, but once you start mixing for those amounts you'll never get the respect as a 'real' soundman.  I've got a bunch of $10-$15/hr guys for audio stuff and so $60/hr guys.  I put myself right in the middle of there.   We all have different purposes in the world but the only way to retain value in your services is to decline underpaid work.  

If you really want to take these gigs, clearly indicate to clients that they $150 or $200 is just for your labour services.  Offer clients discounts on your system but make sure they see how much inventory you are bringing out and what your full prices are.

For example, I put out a system for a student group for Holloween.  I was booked solid but had some old stuff that I put together for them (4 Yorkville tops, 4 old 218 Peavey subs, and some powered fill/monitors... you get the idea).  In generic terms I billed them for my time, transport and a my regular rate for a medium system. I explained that they were getting some older gear and applied a generous discount to that invoice line.

They were thrilled, but next time they call (they already have) they know what my full prices are.

Always (ALWAYS) charge for transport.  Put $75 or something and knock it down but make sure people know what they are getting.

There are guys around here that move large items (furniture, appliances, etc) with their trucks/vans and trailer.  Even they charge at least $30/hr with fuel surcharges for longer distances.  You are renting out your vehicle, trailer, equipment, labor and expertise.  You've got to be worth more than handy-man moving services.
I should probably be doing something else right now....

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »

Good points Marlow. I'll chew on it.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Dick Rees

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »

My take on marketing your services to those with low/no budgets:

"You want fries with that?" Twisted Evil
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Dave Rickard

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 11:11

What's your budget for marketing and promoting your new business venture?
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Marlow Wilson

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »

Dave Rickard wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 12:43

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 11:11

What's your budget for marketing and promoting your new business venture?

Could you explain the rational behind your company name?  Stealthy to me reads secret and sneaky (avoiding detection), not traits I associate with an audio company.  
I should probably be doing something else right now....

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »

Dave, I really dont have much of a budget. Things are and have been tight. I'm not opposed to putting some aside when possible, as long as I know its going to be worthwhile and pay off. I think I need a bigger rig to open up my possible clientele. Taking out a small business loan could possibly help in more ways than one, if practical.

Marlow, I ask myself the same thing every day. I plan to change it upon moving. To what? No clue, I am no good when it comes to naming a company, bands, etc. Luckily I dont have kids. Any ideas, I will gladly take into consideration Wink
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Dave Rickard

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 14:03

Dave, I really dont have much of a budget. Things are and have been tight. I'm not opposed to putting some aside when possible, as long as I know its going to be worthwhile and pay off. I think I need a bigger rig to open up my possible clientele. Taking out a small business loan could possibly help in more ways than one, if practical.

Just a thought for you--  

If it's not feasible to do this and make a decent profit, then it's not really feasible at all.

(Whether you reinvest your profit in your gear or take it home as income is your choice.)
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »

Dave Rickard wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 16:12

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 14:03

Just a thought for you--  

If it's not feasible to do this and make a decent profit, then it's not really feasible at all.

(Whether you reinvest your profit in your gear or take it home as income is your choice.)

What I keep hearing is basically "get a bigger rig to supply sound for bigger bands, that have more money to spend". So its either bar/club bands, or something bigger and better.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »

Put your name on the company. Don't be afraid of telling people you put your name on your product.

Fisher Audio. Sounds alright to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.