ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub repair question???  (Read 3245 times)

Scott Deeter

Sub repair question???
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »

Hello,

I recently tried my hand at repairing one of my sub cabs due to water damage (burst pipe). It's a Community CSX40-S2 made of particle board. Basically this was the cab on the bottom of the stack that soaked up water and the joint came apart (warped).

I thought I could just unload it and put some glue into the joint and screw it together. Well, needless to say I ended up taking the carpet off the entire cab to evaluate things. I pried the joint open put some glue in and screwed it closed. I predrilled some holes around the entire cab joints and reinforced those joints as well with screws.

After the glue dried, I decided to put some Lexel (like a silicone sealant) around all the inside joints as well. When this dried I painted the entire inside of the cab flat black.

Sorry for the blabbering, here's my questions.

1. With painting the inside of the cab and using the Lexel, could this change the frequency response of the cab at all? If it does, wondering if I should do the same to the good cab so they both match.

2. I reinstalled the fiberglass using staples as this is how Community did it also, but the staples shot through the glass in some spots and I'm afraid it may come loose. What would be a good way to hold the glass in place? I was thinking on little screws and plastic type washers.

Oh, I actually reinstalled the same carpet that came off the cab with using 3M  Super77 spray adhesive. It seems to be holding really good. I wont be gigging with these cabs anymore, but just wanted to try and fix it up for home & friends parties (DJ'ing).

index.php/fa/27776/0/

Take care,
Scott Deeter

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
Re: Sub repair question???
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »

#1) Don't be concerned, it will make no difference

#2) Use a little bit of contact cement
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Art Welter

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

I agree with Duane regarding #1.

For holding thick fiberglass, I use string and do a "Z" staple pattern, only enough pressure so the string holds the glass in place without squishing it.

Rik Turner

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »

looks good to me, never be afraid of a bit of basic woodworking

for holding glass fibre batts in place I mostly use my trusty T25 stapler and ceiling tile (long) stapled with heavy paper or felt squares

Scott Deeter

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 01:31:34 AM »

Thank you all for the tips.  Very Happy
Take care,
Scott Deeter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.