ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cases Coming....  (Read 13117 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

New Cases Coming....
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »

I know this sounds rudimentary, but here in the next few months, I plan to build some new flight style rack cases for all of my gear. I've got a general, basic idea of how I will build them, but thought I may be over looking something or you folks may have a better plan for me. Below is a list of my equipment (with a few things that will be added in the near future, so I want to accommodate for them as well). I'd love to hear your suggestions to get the most out of these (very much needed) new cases. Everything will be on casters.

2sp FOH Amp
2sp FOH Amp
2sp Sub Amp
3sp Sub Amp
2sp Monitor Amp
1sp Crossover
(3) 1sp Compressors
(2) 1sp Power Conditioners
1sp Effects Processor
2sp Dual 31 band EQ
1sp DRPA+
1sp Recording Interface
Mixer

I dont have a distro, or even the knowledge of how to build one yet. I'm not sure if I need one, or if this should be taken into consideration

Any suggestions on a proper setup would be great.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Kemper Watson

• http://www.theplaceholders.com
Re: New Cases Coming....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »

How much is your time worth? These are really good cases at decent prices.

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/RU_series_roadracks/ RU_series_cutsheet.shtml

Adam Schaible

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »

Kemper Watson wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:45

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/RU_series_roadracks/ RU_series_cutsheet.shtml

+1

It's really hard to build this stuff for the cost to buy.  I manuf. speaker cabs so I already have all of the tools required, and all of the hardware that goes into a case isn't cheap.  It might be cool to build one just to improve a skill and say it was yours - but overall it's a huge benefit to have matching cases that fit together.  Also, it will take 3-4x longer than you think and the cost will be pretty high to build!

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:56:17 AM »

Great prices, however once you figure in shipping AND the over size fee, it takes away from the good deal. I've got plenty of time, tools, and ability to build my own, for less. Plus I'd just like to say that I built them. I will probably do a shock style with high density foam for extra protection, and only ups my cost by about $35
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Adam Schaible

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:56

Great prices, however once you figure in shipping AND the over size fee, it takes away from the good deal. I've got plenty of time, tools, and ability to build my own, for less. Plus I'd just like to say that I built them. I will probably do a shock style with high density foam for extra protection, and only ups my cost by about $35

Just buy materials for 1 case first - that way you'll know if you want to continue building them or buy.  I once made the mistake of buying a load of raw materials for a project and was never able to complete it, sucked.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »

Adam Schaible wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:59

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:56

Just buy materials for 1 case first - that way you'll know if you want to continue building them or buy.  I once made the mistake of buying a load of raw materials for a project and was never able to complete it, sucked.

Well I think I'm only going to need two rack cases, and a mixer case. I've got all of my parts quotes from Penn Elcom. I BELIEVE thats the best deal around, atleast from what I have personally found...
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:41 PM »

We had this conversation with Benjamin a few weeks ago.  He pretty well established that he has the tools and shop skills, and he has a fair bit on uncommitted time right now.

If he wants to make sawdust, let him.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 11:02

We had this conversation with Benjamin a few weeks ago.  He pretty well established that he has the tools and shop skills, and he has a fair bit on uncommitted time right now.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Correcto  Cool

Any setup suggestions besides one case for amps/crossover/power conditioner....and one case for the rest?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 12:05

Any setup suggestions besides one case for amps/crossover/power conditioner....and one case for the rest?

Think about case size and weight.  A 500lb+ case with all your amps could be mighty convenient if you always have elevators and liftgates, but the first time it needs to go up a flight of stairs...  Same goes for a double-wide rack and single-width doors (or twisty stairs).

You might consider splitting your amp rack between FoH and monitors.  That allows you much more flexibility as your company grows.

Make sure to leave enough room for patch panels and power inlets or RacPacs (if needed).  This could either be in extra height or extra depth.

Think about how your FoH land will be setup.  A mixer over FX style case is convenient for some things, but is limiting if you ever move to a larger console.  Plus, having to bend down to get at the FX can be annoying.

Art Welter

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:05

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 11:02

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Correcto  Cool

Yes, do two six space amp racks so you can have short mains speaker cords and will have room to add a second monitor amp when you go to four mixes.
DSP should be at FOH, not in the racks, unless you have a way to control it from FOH.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.