ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cases Coming....  (Read 13086 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: New Cases Coming....
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 02:53:54 AM »

TOBY - I dont currently have a DRPA, so I am using a crossover for now.
I understand your theory in having a rack for each side of the stage, but to be honest, I dont play anywhere that would require more than a 50' run left to right. And, having one slightly larger rack (with room to expand) is going to be more cost effective. I do like the idea of the rear mounted input/outputs though. Good stuff, something to think about. Thanks!

ROB - Great, I understand now. Thanks

TONY - Unfortunately being able to order all my cases at once is looking a bit doubtful right now. But good thinking on the freight vs. oversized UPS. Thanks
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Rick Stansby

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 03:11:19 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 15:09

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 17:02

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 14:35

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 16:27

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 09:02

We had this conversation with Benjamin a few weeks ago.  He pretty well established that he has the tools and shop skills, and he has a fair bit on uncommitted time right now.

If he wants to make sawdust, let him.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

It is fun and instructive to do.

Audiopile cases (and others) often cost less than the cost of buying the actual raw materials (and material shipping + wastage for cuts to make shipment UPS'able), unless you do a significant bulk purchase.

I've compared this many, many times.

You are right about it being cheaper than buying the materials, but after $120 for shipping and the over size fee of $40, total price goes up ALOT.

I'll be building my own.

I included shipping in my comparison. (But I'm pretty close - so it may be less for my location.)

12 space shock rack case $260
shipping $120
oversize handling $40
total shipped $420

I can build one for about $300

dont get me wrong, the ewi cases are great. but shipping kills them if i'm able to build one

You should definitely go ahead and build at least one case, but for the record I looked up the price on audiopile.  A $260 12 space shock rack costs $120 to ship to Columbus ohio (including the oversized fee) so it is $380 total.
Rick

Tim Padrick

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »

Figure out how many spaces each rack needs to be.  Add spaces for the I/O panels you forgot about.  Take the result, and increase by 50%.

Research the depth of equipment.  The deepest amp I've seen is a CE4000.  Add on for the deepest (longest) connectors you can find (I think that would be the Switchcraft with the fluted cases).  Add on for a nice cable radius.  Add 3".

"Everything clips at once" is great provided that nothing ever clips.  A little amp clipping might sneak past OK.  If something else in the chain clips too, it'll sound BAD.  I like to leave at least 10dB of headroom in everything that's ahead of the amps.  If I end up hitting the system limiters, I won't be clipping everything in the chain.

W. Mark Hellinger

• http://www.audiopile.net
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 15:09

12 space shock rack case $260
shipping $120
oversize handling $40
total shipped $420

I can build one for about $300

dont get me wrong, the ewi cases are great. but shipping kills them if i'm able to build one

I agree, the A12U shock racks are expensive to ship, which is one of the reasons why I don't recommend shock racks unless the application warrants shock racks.

Cost of shipping A12U (shock style) 12 space case via UPS Ground Farmington, WA to Columbus, OH:

Shipping: $105.02
Oversize handling fee: $40.

Total shipping cost:  $145.02

Cost of shipping R12U (non-shock style) 12 space case via UPS Ground Farmington, WA to Columbus, OH:

Shipping:  $69.47
Oversize handling fee:  None.

Total shipping cost:  $69.47

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 02:06:03 PM »

Thanks Tim, sounds good to me.

Mark, As I said before, dont get me wrong, your cases are great. But I wasnt really posting this thread about how I should get cases, but rather the layout of them. I actually ENJOY working with wood, and this project will be rewarding to me. Not to mention, time is something I have an abundance of. Again, take no offense to this. If I werent building my own, I would (and would tell anyone) to buy an EWI case, as they are priced great and seem to be of great quality. I will be ordering some other things from you.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Art Welter

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 00:53

I understand your theory in having a rack for each side of the stage, but to be honest, I dont play anywhere that would require more than a 50' run left to right. And, having one slightly larger rack (with room to expand) is going to be more cost effective. I do like the idea of the rear mounted input/outputs though. Good stuff, something to think about. Thanks!

What set up is going to be more cost effective when you can rent an amp rack and subs to a DJ while you do a SOS gig with the other rack?

How much fun will it be lugging one heavy rack up stairs instead of two?

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2010, 02:23:24 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 13:12

benjamin fisher wrote on Tue, 02 February 2010 00:53

What set up is going to be more cost effective when you can rent an amp rack and subs to a DJ while you do a SOS gig with the other rack?

How much fun will it be lugging one heavy rack up stairs instead of two?

I dont plan on renting my equipment, and definitely not to DJ's.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Ned Ward

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »

I think what many are pointing out is that with 2 amp racks, you have shorter cable runs to the speakers. As you expand your gear and upgrade, you'll need it.

Depending on what you carry all your gear in to/from shows, it may be easier to get the smaller racks in/out of the car than 1 large amp rack.

I had tried using a 16H rack with a mixer top that fit:
Mackie 1642 mixer
Power conditioner
Driverack PA
1046 quad comp
231 eq
Lexicon effects
Yamaha spx90
RMX850 amp for monitors
RMX1850HD for Mains
empty space at bottom for speaker cables, etc.

After putting it all in the rack, it was impossible for me to lift/tip up into my Honda Element, which is what i was using for shlepping band gear. Sold it and eventually sold everything in the rack to go to an old 01v and powered mains/monitor speakers.

Just a thought.

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2010, 04:16:41 PM »

I have a 6x12 trailer.

99/100 shows I have steps. So lifting isnt typically a hassle. Plus my XLS's are like 30lbs. Not a HUGE deal if I have steps, just find a helper. But I typically stray from stair gigs.

I understand the fact of having shorter runs, but I NEVER have a stage that 50' cables L->R wont work.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »

Do you guys have any tricks on stacking a non caster case onto a caster case just for transportation? Stacking and securing my processing rack on top of my amp rack would make for easy rolling it into the venue.

Any tricks/suggestions?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.