ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cases Coming....  (Read 11150 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: New Cases Coming....
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:06:07 pm »

Rob Timmerman wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 11:50

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 12:05

Any setup suggestions besides one case for amps/crossover/power conditioner....and one case for the rest?

Think about case size and weight.  A 500lb+ case with all your amps could be mighty convenient if you always have elevators and liftgates, but the first time it needs to go up a flight of stairs...  Same goes for a double-wide rack and single-width doors (or twisty stairs).

You might consider splitting your amp rack between FoH and monitors.  That allows you much more flexibility as your company grows.

Make sure to leave enough room for patch panels and power inlets or RacPacs (if needed).  This could either be in extra height or extra depth.

Think about how your FoH land will be setup.  A mixer over FX style case is convenient for some things, but is limiting if you ever move to a larger console.  Plus, having to bend down to get at the FX can be annoying.

Originally I was going to do a double wide, but have since changed my mind, due to weight and stair issues. All of my amps are Crown XLS, so its pretty basic plug and go, not alot of options. So I dont see myself using patch panels. Not really sure what a RacPac is though. I'm not doing a slant top, because I do plan on getting a new mixer at some point, but will probably sit it on top of the processing rack.

Art Welter wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 13:13

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 10:05

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 11:02

We had this conversation with Benjamin a few weeks ago.  He pretty well established that he has the tools and shop skills, and he has a fair bit on uncommitted time right now.

If he wants to make sawdust, let him.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Correcto  Cool

Any setup suggestions besides one case for amps/crossover/power conditioner....and one case for the rest?

Yes, do two six space amp racks so you can have short mains speaker cords and will have room to add a second monitor amp when you go to four mixes.
DSP should be at FOH, not in the racks, unless you have a way to control it from FOH.

I currently dont have DSP, thus my reasoning for putting the Crossover with the amps. I forgot to mention that.
I have never used the returns on my snake, as I've always had my amps with me at FOH. So, this is something new to me, and I will have to play around to figure out what will work best. My thought was to keep the amp rack on one side of the stage, along side the snake so that I can keep runs as short as possible. I THINK I'm on the right track.... Embarassed I think I will have to do some converting, do you recommend adapters or some sort of patch cable?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Art Welter

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »

Keeping speaker cable runs as short as possible makes for better sound quality, an amp rack on either side of stage allows for the shortest speaker cables.

Return lines are not affected by length, and will be far lighter than an adequately sized cross stage speaker bundle.

Crossovers or DSP at FOH allows you to set them up properly without running back and forth to the stage.

For reliability I recommend XLR returns on your snake, but adapters can serve the same purpose.

Joe Brugnoni

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 03:54:18 pm »

+1 on the amps on either side!!
Be nice to everyone as you can learn something from anybody

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 03:56:19 pm »

Really, DSP/crossover at FOH? I coulda sworn a few people told me to keep them with the amp. Maybe just preference. FOH sounds better to me anyway.

I've got XLR only returns on my snake, but my current crossover is only TRS, so some conversion has to be done. I wasnt sure if an adapter is better than a patch cable.

Also on the topic, I want to put one channel of my dbx 266xl on my entire system, to prevent amp clipping (especially once they are on stage and not FOH any longer). Should I keep that compressor at FOH as well?
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »

Joe Brugnoni wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 14:54

+1 on the amps on either side!!

Problem is, I run my FOH bridged mono...so I would still have to run a cable from left side to right side...unless I'm missing something...
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

Your balanced, line level signal runs can be hundreds of feet, if necessary.  Don't worry about them.

Check out another Tim's solution to a very similar situation, in the context of keeping speaker cables as short as possible:   http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/512788/53122/0// /143/#msg_512788  Ignore the garish face plates on his K series amps.

What kind of "converting" do you think you need to do?

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 04:04:33 pm »

Quote:

2sp FOH Amp
2sp FOH Amp
2sp Sub Amp
3sp Sub Amp
2sp Monitor Amp
1sp Crossover

Which of these does what?
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 15:02

Your balanced, line level signal runs can be hundreds of feet, if necessary.  Don't worry about them.

Check out another Tim's solution to a very similar situation, in the context of keeping speaker cables as short as possible:    http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/512788/53122/0// /143/#msg_512788  Ignore the garish face plates on his K series amps.

What kind of "converting" do you think you need to do?

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I'll check it out.

For example, I currently go mixer main out (XLR-F) to crossover input (TRS), then crossover out (TRS) to amp input (XLR-M). Once I get the amps on stage and use the snake returns, I would need to go from mixer main out (XLR-F) through snake (comes out XLR) and would need to go into crossover (TRS) so I would need to convert from XLR-TRS correct? If I'm right, I was getting at -- XLR-TRS patch cable or XLR-TRS adapter?

Maybe I'm over analyzing this  Laughing

2sp FOH Amp  (1ch into both FOH, 1ch into pair of monitors)
2sp FOH Amp  (coming later)
2sp Sub Amp  (bridged 4ohm to both subs. was told i should run stereo 8ohm from now on)
3sp Sub Amp  (coming later)
2sp Monitor Amp (bridged 4ohm into pair of monitors)
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 04:13:13 pm »

DSP and crossovers *should be* things you don't need to fuck with, but the tradition of having some kind of system control at FOH dies hard.

In our rigs, DSP is at front of house as a rider consideration.  From a practical standpoint they can be either place.

You can get t/r/s to XLR cables from Mark & Liz at Audiopile.net.  I like cables better than adapters because they put less strain on PCB-mounted connectors.  Or you can order parts, cable, and fire up the soldering iron and make your own;  it's not rocket surgery.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Art Welter

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 31 January 2010 13:56

Really, DSP/crossover at FOH? I coulda sworn a few people told me to keep them with the amp. Maybe just preference. FOH sounds better to me anyway.

I've got XLR only returns on my snake, but my current crossover is only TRS, so some conversion has to be done. I wasnt sure if an adapter is better than a patch cable.

Also on the topic, I want to put one channel of my dbx 266xl on my entire system, to prevent amp clipping (especially once they are on stage and not FOH any longer). Should I keep that compressor at FOH as well?

DSP/crossovers in the amp rack make for less patching, but less convenience when it comes to adjusting them.

A patch cable with a TRS on one end and an XLR is an adapter, and a better choice than a TRS/XLR barrel adapter and mic cord hanging on the back of a TRS only crossover.

A single limiter on the whole system is not going to prevent amp clipping.

What do you mean “I run my FOH bridged mono.”?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.