ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone identify this line array?  (Read 12197 times)

Brandon Blakeney

Re: Can someone identify this line array?
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »

What I really need is a Line array, with certified engineering specs as some have pointed out, and preferably dual 10" or 12". 12-16 elements preferably, not necessarily powered. I will be using existing dual 18" subs center clustered under the array. I know that this is a very expensive proposition and had not planned to do it immediately, but had hoped to get an especially good deal on the used home-made line array. Like you said, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and there is not a line outside that gentleman's home.

Seth Hochberg

• http://www.sethhochberg.com
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 11:17:29 pm »

Brandon Blakeney wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 22:34

What I really need is a Line array, with certified engineering specs as some have pointed out, and preferably dual 10" or 12". 12-16 elements preferably, not necessarily powered. I will be using existing dual 18" subs center clustered under the array. I know that this is a very expensive proposition and had not planned to do it immediately, but had hoped to get an especially good deal on the used home-made line array. Like you said, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and there is not a line outside that gentleman's home.

Mr Blakeney, with all due respect, I think you might have just answered your own question - there is not a line outside the man's home to buy these, so what does that imply for the demand for them? Since demand is a direct extension of the matrix of cost, quality, desirability, etc; and it would seem as though demand is quite low, I would hazard the guess that one or more items in that matrix is not at a level anybody would care to see.
Owner, Osprey Audio
Assistant engineer, University of Miami Frost School of Music Recording Services

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:35 pm »

Brandon Blakeney wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 19:34

and preferably dual 10" or 12".  

I question getting that specific. It's an arbitrary requirement.

Each manufacturer has unique ways of covering the spectrum and generating the SPL target and coverage. And cramming it into a manageable form for non-arena gigs.

Some have a single 10". Some use 6" and 8" - These are world renowned folks BTW, making small and mid-sized arrays that are killer..
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Jay Barracato

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:28 am »

Brandon Blakeney wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 18:51

They sound pretty darn good, but the guy is asking 40K!!!!!!!! for the 16 boxes. I was thinking more about 10K. What do you guys think????

I am not sure you could get road cases for 16 boxes plus hardware for 10k
Jay Barracato
Solomons MD

Chris Hindle

Re: Can someone identify this guy's needs?
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:23 pm »

Brandon Blakeney wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 21:45

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 20:35

Brandon Blakeney wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 21:19

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 03 February 2010 20:11

I'd *never* hang any array that didn't have engineering certs and destructive testing of the rigging, no matter how it sounded or what it cost.  Not to say this one doesn't, but that should have been the first question you asked when you found out it wasn't the commercial product of a "real" brand.

That addresses part of Bennett's post, and I agree with him that you don't need a line array, either.

Have fun, buy the Right Rig for the Gig.

Tim Mc

And you gentlemen are completely aware of my company and position enough to know what I do and don't need to buy?

What is this supposed to mean? You ask for advice on the Internet, without divulging anything about you needs, and then complain about the advice.

Even compact line array elements are well over $2500/box. Full sized elements can run over $10,000/box.

If you want guidance you might try being upfront about your requirements.

Mac

I was trying to determine whether or not this line array was indeed worth the money. I was not bringing into question whether or not I need one. What I have gathered from this is that unless you are going to buy a JBL, Meyer, EV, etc... then you shouldn't even buy a line array. I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just trying to determine what this line array is truly worth.

Not to put too fine a point on it, if it has not been certified to hang, it is worthless. Money per element doesen't mean squat when your insurance company is questioning why it came down on some poor punter out to see his favorite band.
"Ya, whatever. Just stick a '57 on it, and get off the stage"
Chris.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.