ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Piece of gear you hate the most.  (Read 44577 times)

Phillip_Graham

Re: Piece of gear you hate the most.
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:06:12 PM »

Yamaha GA series mixers.  So lame, especially compared to Yamaha's normal trademark durability.

John Neil

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:21:31 PM »

Phillip Graham wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 19:06

Yamaha GA series mixers.  So lame, especially compared to Yamaha's normal trademark durability.

Really?  I know of a local GA32/12 that keeps plugging along.  It literally has holes in the roadcase laminate from impacts taken.  Channel two gain pot is scratchy, but who needs snare in their wedges anyway?

It has its quirks, like no channel meters and no markers on the EQ adjustments (well, you're somewhere between 80 and 8k, that's close enough, right?) but far worse a MI level console could appear in monitor land.  

Brandon Blakeney

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »

JBL soundfactor, Jrx, and Mpro

Art Welter

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »

Shure  PG 58.
Look similar to SM 58, sound like crap.

Back when these came out I once spent about 10 minutes tuning a PA using one of these mikes, thinking it was an SM 58. After I had “corrected” about  a half dozen serious frequency problems, and the PA still sounded like crap, I looked closer and realized the mike was not an SM 58.
Plugged in a beat up SM 58, the PA tuning continued, resulting in the normal notches at the crossover  points and room boom.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »

I am going to go a totally different direction.  I don't really complain about PA gear and I can get fairly usable results with just about anything.

WHAT I ABSOLUTELY HATE IS THOSE STUPID KRANK GUITAR AMPS THAT EVERY WANNABE COOKIE MONSTER BAND IN PHOENIX USES THESE DAYS!!!!!!  They have the worst tone period unless you want to have a spike thrust into your forehead in which they are the perfect amp.  You can not place them in a mix no matter what SPL the guitar player has them at.  I have never been able to put one of them into a mix and have it sound good.  No when to say when to too much midrange crap!

I'll take the SP2s, the 3630s, ACP88s, hell I'll even mix on old Peavey PA400 powered mixers, I don't care, but do not bring a Krank guitar amp to my gigs.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 08:42:49 PM »

Add me to the Soundcraft group.

I had two small to medium sized Soundcraft consoles drop dead at mission critical moment. Different dates, different gigs, different consoles.

Never. Ever. Again. Will I purchase/own a Soundcraft product.

Burn me once, twice, there won't be a chance of a third time.
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

John T. Cotton

• Frugal Audio
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 17:42

The Midas Venice mixing console.
And not because of how it sounds (which is actually real good), or because of its feature set vs cost (which is not very good), or because of its control layout (which stinks on ice).

No, it's because shitty clubs can install one of these things and advertise, "WE HAVE A MIDAS!" and of course the rest of the rigs sucks in ways that have yet to be invented.

-a

Ha! LOL, the ridiculous, juvenile layout and the absurd cost were enough to tick me off from the get go.
John T. Cotton

www.FrugalAudio.com

Dick Rees

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »

All of you who hate the Venice consoles are welcome to send them to me for recycling.

Thank you very much.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Darren Brown

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »

Many may disagree with me; but I really don't like the KT Square One.

Sure it's 8 gates or comps in 3U(i think), but I have yet to come across one that has all dynamics in it working. And similar to the Presonus ACP88 that John Mentioned, don't even bother using it over stereo groups; no-two channels of dynamics act the same.

The most annoying thing are the latches on the gates. You can hear them working. There is no subtlety at all; and it's a mission trying to get them to stop flapping continuously without with gates being brutally obvious.

But, still better than nothing a wee toilet with nothing else.
It started off badly, the arse fell out of the middle; and the less said about the end the better.

Tom faderjockey Brandis

• http://myspace.com/tmbrandis
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »

SPX90. But I just can't seem to get rid of it. I assume because it was one of my first verb units.

Tom
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.