ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Piece of gear you hate the most.  (Read 44485 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Piece of gear you hate the most.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »

Marsellus Fariss wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 16:19

Here here! ANY SP2! Damn Peavey for building unkillable bad sounding gear that never ever ever dies but just hangs by chains in shitty clubs for decades pumping out crap!

Heh heh heh, here in Tucson there really is a shitty club (the Surly Wench) with SP2s hanging by chains pumping out crap.

I am not kidding.

-a

(edit: added name of venue, because I always ask people to name the shit.)
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Nathan Lehouillier

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »

I wish I had a Pic. 4 years ago I supplied a mon rig for a fest  Jackal was the head liner. The Pa was 12x SP2G and 8x JBL 4*** SR cubs. It was perfect for the chain saw!

Nate
KDS&L
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink

Gus Housen

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »

SKB cases, but specifically Their pop up mixer case. (although it looks like they have changed the design) The latches on this peice of unholy Junk Broke right away and I gave up after replacing 2 sets of them. I have never seen one with working latches.

Why is it I can buy a crappy speaker cabinet for $80 but a 6 sided box with fur costs more
You rock...We roll!

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce

• http://www.5pointeps.com
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »

Nathan Lehouillier wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 18:50

I Jackal was the head liner. The Pa was 12x SP2G and 8x JBL 4*** SR cubs.

Sounds just about right.
Jonathan 'JP' Peirce
5 Point Event Production Services, LLC
http://www.5PointEPS.com

John Neil

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »

Ode to Presonus ACP88.

Because you are eight channels of compression AND gate, and because some house techs can only imagine themselves compressing AND gating every drum on stage, and because your gates are more useable than those combo gates that DBX provides (DBX 166, 1066, etc.), and because you come in at about $70 per channel...

I vote you as my most disliked product.  In my world, every venue and every rig I work seems to have one of you - and yet only 2 to 4 channels of other dynamics available.  Thus, I must use you.  

I can see your blue face from miles away.  My fingers tremble with the tactile sensation of your knobs that click as they turn.  Aside from amplifier gains, no knob should click while it turns.  (My digital feedback circuits are intact and working fine, thank you very much.  I can tell when a knob that I am turning is turning.)

I anticipate my arrivial to your backside with a quick check to set all of the level switches in the uniform setting...as I expect that during safe transport to the venue, various insert snakes have played friendly with your switches while bouncing down the road.

Yet, for instances where I must compress on a stereo subgroup pair, you cannot provide me with two channels of similarly behaving dynamics.  Or even one channel where UNITY GAIN means UNITY GAIN.  By the way, UNITY GAIN MEANS UNITY GAIN.

DBX 166 or 160 with push switches that don't work, I'll take you all day long and simply use a dedicated gate when I actually need one.  You realize that quick wedding reception soundchecks allow me time to troubleshoot at most, two small sonic issues.  Dynamics should not be one of them, and certainly not both.

John Neil

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »

And yet, my distaste for the ACP88 far eclipses my distaste for the TC M-One.

M-One.  Reliability is a virtue.  My best friends are reliable.  My best equipment is reliable.  And yet, your most reliable trait is not your failure, but the manner of your failure.  I can't very well find your presets when your display is dead.  But atleast, as reliable as you are, I know it's coming.

index.php/fa/27702/0/

For those keeping score at home, that's three for three.  

John Halliburton

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »

Marsellus Fariss wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 17:19

Nathan Lehouillier wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 17:13

PV SP2G and Black Widow 1801. Any homemade "sub" with EV 18B. 18B is not a sub driver boy's and girls.

Nate
KDS&L

Here here! ANY SP2! Damn Peavey for building unkillable bad sounding gear that never ever ever dies but just hangs by chains in shitty clubs for decades pumping out crap!

Sorry, got a little worked up there.

/Rant

I agree with the SP2, I have to mix on a pair for hours once each Summer at a festival here in Grant Park. Been doing this for eleven years.  Powered by CS800 amps, and cheap house brand eq's from Sam Ash.  Someday....

John

Marsellus Fariss

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »

There's was a saying here in the south where Peavey for the better part of a couple of decades was ubiquitous and inescapable.

"Too big, too ugly, too heavy, too Peavey."

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 16:42

Marsellus Fariss wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 15:34

Just one piece of gear not "digital consoles" or "all ###inger."

For me it's the Alesis 3630 comp that pumps like Swartzenegger at an all night gym. Just the site of one makes me want to unplug it and set fire to it and dance around like Nero.

The MEQ is pretty bad too.  

The Midas Venice mixing console.

And not because of how it sounds (which is actually real good), or because of its feature set vs cost (which is not very good), or because of its control layout (which stinks on ice).

No, it's because shitty clubs can install one of these things and advertise, "WE HAVE A MIDAS!" and of course the rest of the rigs sucks in ways that have yet to be invented.

Yes, of course I'm referring to all of those Ludlow St-area venues in NYC like Pianos and Arlenes.

-a

I spend all summer mixing on one, and yes, it sounds fine.  The layout pisses me off every time I use it.  Even Beringer labels auxes as auxes!

I'd rather have a Venice than a fucking GL2200, which is in fact my least favorite piece of gear.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Dan Richardson

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 07:58:11 PM »

Alesis MEQ230. Stereo 30 bands, each band an octave wide. At least.
dut duruduttdurudutt dut dutt. I hate iphones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.