ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New cabinets on a budget  (Read 2559 times)

Todd Larick

• http://www.smugglinyoyos.com
New cabinets on a budget
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »

New to the forum but been doing sound for a while.   I have a small PA that I run from stage sometimes and do sound for other bands from time to time.   I am looking to upgrade my top cabinets, right now I am using a set of JBL MR915's on top of a set of Yorkville Elite SW800 subs.   I would like to get some 2x15" cabinets to fill out the mid highs better.   Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best fit for my application?    Should I go used?   What is out there that I could get for around $1,000 to $1,200?

Hope someone could give me some wisdom.

Thanks,

Todd

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: New cabinets on a budget
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »

Is that $1000 total, or per cabinet?

I'd have a look at the EV QRX212 if that's per cab. Not a dual 15, but it's smaller, lighter and sounds damn good. It should fill out those low mids nicely.

If it's total, maybe the Yamaha club series would be more in your league?

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Todd Larick

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

Yeah, $1,000 total right now.  Money is tight...

I see someone has a pair of the QRX212's for sale on this board but they are $1,700.  A little out of my price range.  

They do look nice, I'll have to look at the Yamaha Club series as well.   Any others I should be looking at, maybe Community or EV?

Thanks for the help.

Todd

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »

I am a huge fan of EV, seems like they are more efficient and just sound good. Those QRx212s are going to outperform anything else you are going to find for a 1000 totally budget, if you could make the stretch it could be a good move. But I completely understand budgets! I have extremely tight ones myself.

I would keep looking for used, higher end boxes QRx level and above, EV or not. But I do love my QRx speakers.

Evan
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
FosterSoundStudios(at)inbox.com
(4) QRX115s (4) SRX 728s Soundcraft GB8, Mackie Onyx 1640, TC Electronics fx.

Mike Angiolillo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »

Todd, I have a pair of factory JBL 4733A cabs which have 2 X 15" JBL 2225 and 1 X 1.5" 2447 driver. $800 a pair.  I could meet you half way in Buffalo NY or Erie PA for the price of gas and tolls. JBLPRO.com can tell you more.

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »

The cabinet that launched 1000 soundco's right there.

Can't say that I particularly like them, but they do get loud, and will get the job done. Plus they have possibly the best brand recognition in the industry. When a club asks "what PA?" this is answer they are looking for. It's hard to beat that.

Todd Larick

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »

I love my JBL speakers and those appear to be a 2x15 version of what I already have.  The only problem is the weight, those weigh 135 lbs each  Surprised   I normally set up by myself and don't know if I could get those up on top of my subs.   I'll think about your offer and let you know.   I like the idea of a 2x12" cabinet like the QRX, are there any other brands that make a similar cabinet?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Todd

Joe Brugnoni

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »

If weight is a concern and it is for most of us,  I would suggest that you save you money and buy a better two way box, there are a lot out there.  As they say, buy one time and cry one time or something like that, Cool  

Going up  in quality my net you all you want. what are you going to do with the other boxes? sell them?

There is an argument to be made for having the same type of box around and not mixing the types of boxes you have.

Maybe you could get what you want with a better processor or EQ?

Do you need more SPL or ????
Be nice to everyone as you can learn something from anybody

Mike Angiolillo

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »

I'll tell you what Todd, I'll take out the JBL 15's and put in B&C HPL76W speakers that weigh 7 lbs. which will cut that weight by 40 lbs. or so. Same price, $800 a pair

Todd Larick

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »

I have a Driverack PA so I think I have plenty of processing, I am looking for a little more mid high output so yes more SPL is the goal.   It just feels like I am driving the top boxes to hard, could just be me.    I've had the JBL's that I am currently using for over 12 years and they have served me well.  So I am no opposed to another set of them but just looking to see what else is available.

thanks and keep the suggestions coming,

Todd
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.