ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Countryman E6 are you using?  (Read 16227 times)

Todd Shumansky

Which Countryman E6 are you using?
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

I need to buy a couple Countryman E6 headset mics. These will be used primarily for sound reinforcement at live events. Our first outing with these will be used at a show with a big name comedian.

Are you guys using the omni-directional or the directional E6? How about the I-series? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Noah D Mitchell

Re: Which Countryman E6 are you using?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »

I need to buy a couple Countryman E6 headset mics. These will be used primarily for sound reinforcement at live events. Our first outing with these will be used at a show with a big name comedian.

Are you guys using the omni-directional or the directional E6? How about the I-series? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Todd - I personally really like the omni e6, I use several. They can be a pain for some people to position correctly and stably. I actually have my own that I keep separate, and let everyone else use the others to bend and re-bend as they need.

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »

I've used the E6 "omni"  the earset is sometimes difficult to fit to certain performers though they do have what they call the earclip which seems to fix that......be sure to select the right sensitivity for your usage......"i" series has a more flexible i.e. less stiff boom for adapting/bending to different users (probably a good idea) I have not tried the directional E2......

Ray

Andrew Moyer

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »

I'm in the middle of doing a show with 16 Omni E6's on kids ranging in age from 10-13. I do not like the E6i as I find them too flexible and too easy to bend. Also the rubber on the ear piece is more then twice as thick as the regular E6 and I don't like that.  We have the blue band as well which is suited for both speech and singing.

The E6 sounds great! 

Andrew
Andrew Moyer

Daniel Cash

• SR Forums
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:23:33 AM »

I have used both the E6i omni and directional for singing and spoken word. I originally bout a directional e6i to use with a lead vocalists in a band, with a wedge monitor. The placement was so finicky that we gave up on that idea, and just stuck with the omni.

I am curious if anyone is successfully using the directional e6 and what tricks they have to increase consistency of placement. I have never been satisfied with the results.

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:11:57 AM »

I have used both the E6i omni and directional for singing and spoken word. I originally bout a directional e6i to use with a lead vocalists in a band, with a wedge monitor. The placement was so finicky that we gave up on that idea, and just stuck with the omni.

I am curious if anyone is successfully using the directional e6 and what tricks they have to increase consistency of placement. I have never been satisfied with the results.

I have used both, and had similar experiences to you. When I first tried the directional version I thought something was wrong - placement has to be quite precise.

I was using them for corporate talking head type work and for me the mic was just far too directional to be consistent, if the mic got bumped or moved at all the sound would change quite dramatically.

Gareth

Andrew Hnatiuk

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »

Have been using the E6i omni for theater and corporate work with great success. Recommend having a few "EarClip" accessories on hand...

Sheldon Harris

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »

Have been using the E6i omni for theater and corporate work with great success. Recommend having a few "EarClip" accessories on hand...

+1
a little problematic (esp directional) with quick changes in theater(they never get the same position back)

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »

I know it's a bit more money, but for SR providers I've had much better luck with Dpa 4066's.  As you can see from the other responses, e6's have consistent and considerable issues being fit to presenters and performers.  It's magnified when they get way out of shape by one frustrated person they're extremely difficult to regain a good hold on someone.  I like e6's fine when they are for a single person and it doesn't have to be shared and refitted to anyone else, but for a company purchase where they'll likely never go on the same person twice, the DPA's are much easier to work with and will greatly reduce failed fittings and frustration. 

As the others have said a cardiod e6 is extremely sensitive to positioning, and offers little or no GBF gains, especially if it isn't positioned in exactly the right spot. 

There is a couple hundred dollar price difference between an already fairly expensive Countryman, but most of the shows that these mics get used on if there's a mid show fitting problem and you have to switch out mics or go to a handheld, you're likely not getting invited  back by that client.  Presumably a much more than ~$200 loss.

Just my 2c,
thomas d.

Darrel Harris

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:23 PM »

I am a fan of the new(ish)  E6 flex...offering fit characteristics of both the original & the i versions.

I know it's a bit more money, but for SR providers I've had much better luck with Dpa 4066's.  As you can see from the other responses, e6's have consistent and considerable issues being fit to presenters and performers.  It's magnified when they get way out of shape by one frustrated person they're extremely difficult to regain a good hold on someone.  I like e6's fine when they are for a single person and it doesn't have to be shared and refitted to anyone else, but for a company purchase where they'll likely never go on the same person twice, the DPA's are much easier to work with and will greatly reduce failed fittings and frustration. 

As the others have said a cardiod e6 is extremely sensitive to positioning, and offers little or no GBF gains, especially if it isn't positioned in exactly the right spot. 

There is a couple hundred dollar price difference between an already fairly expensive Countryman, but most of the shows that these mics get used on if there's a mid show fitting problem and you have to switch out mics or go to a handheld, you're likely not getting invited  back by that client.  Presumably a much more than ~$200 loss.

Just my 2c,
thomas d.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.