ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinkin About New Subs And Amps  (Read 7706 times)

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

Re: Thinkin About New Subs And Amps
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »

Adam - Ok, I never realized that 4ohm bridged was actually 2ohm stereo. I guess it makes sense though, just never thought about it that way. Could you expand a little more on the NL4 mod? I am not sure what that is, what it does, or how to do it. Could be something that helps me in the long run if I keep the SW118s. Oh, and yes, I believe they still have the Eminence Omegas

Joe - Yeah, the plan with adding the SW218 was to put it in the center while having the SW118s on the sides. What are the advantages of the twice as much DR260 over the DRPA+? Either way, do you think this would make a significant difference in my system while only having the 2 SW118s AND after an addition? Yes, I do have a laptop.

Jeff - You said I could spend my money in better ways, than upgrading subs. By what means? DRPA or DR260? New tops (YES!)? I dont want to feed anymore power to my SW118s, but doubling the low end in my system would be nice for bigger (to me) gigs. If I do end up adding an SW218, I would just go with either another XLS802d or RMX 2450. I know this isny the perfect way of doing things, but with my budget, its one of very few options I have, I'm sure you would agree.
As for mics, I have enough to get me by. Only 3 SM58's, a B58, a SM57, E602 (for now. Not much, but always get by with it. FX I just use the reverb thats on my board. I have an old Digitech Quad Studio but dont have a power cable for it. Compression I dont use currently, but I own a dbx 266xl and 2 OLD Fostex 3070's. I'm leaning towards a Mixwiz or SL upgrade, but not until I get my FOH speakers where they need to be.
BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Adam Schaible

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 09:21:25 PM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 20:08

Adam - Ok, I never realized that 4ohm bridged was actually 2ohm stereo. I guess it makes sense though, just never thought about it that way. Could you expand a little more on the NL4 mod? I am not sure what that is, what it does, or how to do it. Could be something that helps me in the long run if I keep the SW118s. Oh, and yes, I believe they still have the Eminence Omegas

Well if you get a SW218, I'd just run your amp in stereo.

If you stay with 2 SW118's (sorry I keep thinking you were using a SW218) then just run your amp in stereo and put 1 per side.  That would be an 8 ohm load per side and that will help your amp out a lot will very little/no sacrifice.

Sorry about that.  You're all good.

Which tops are you using?

Jerome Casinger

• http://www.ignitestlouis.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »

Adam Schaible wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 20:21

benjamin fisher wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 20:08

Well if you get a SW218, I'd just run your amp in stereo.

If you stay with 2 SW118's (sorry I keep thinking you were using a SW218) then just run your amp in stereo and put 1 per side.  That would be an 8 ohm load per side and that will help your amp out a lot will very little/no sacrifice.

Sorry about that.  You're all good.

Which tops are you using?

Ben, this is the same thing I am doing for the same reasons.  I am using an nl4, and I am making a simple breakout box from parts on parts express website to split the signal and give two seperate outputs for my subs.  Excellent solution, and the box I am making costs probably around $20 or so in parts.  Amps run cooler therefore are happier  Cool

Adam Schaible

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »

If you do this you don't really need a break out box, just re-wire the speakons inside the cab.  Since you're using SW118's it's a moot point.  If you ever wanted to use a SW218 with your amp get on here and we'll help you with it.

Jerome Casinger

• http://www.ignitestlouis.com
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 10:21:49 PM »

Adam Schaible wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 20:54

If you do this you don't really need a break out box, just re-wire the speakons inside the cab.  Since you're using SW118's it's a moot point.  If you ever wanted to use a SW218 with your amp get on here and we'll help you with it.

Correct, there are benefits either way, I am making a breakout box because I split my system frequently, and dont like the idea of a cable going into one sub, then the other half of the amp being carried over another "x" number of feet to the other sub.  Power loss, etc etc on one side.  Might not be an issue for you.  Also if you re wire the inside of the cabs so only one input would actually be working per sub, if you do loose one channel of an amp, or a wire comes loose on the one side, it may impact how fast you can re distribute power to get you through a gig if you needed to since your subs could not be paralled.  

Weigh out pros and cons and realize you can make a simple solution very inexpensively either way you go, either making a box or re wiring the inputs so one input is actually active and the other passes the 2nd signal through to the next subs.  Like someone mentioned, tons of people can help you on here with wiring if you need it, its pretty simple.

Rob Spence

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 12:58:15 AM »

Joe Brugnoni wrote on Sun, 24 January 2010 11:39

DRPA are great units but I would save your bucks and buy a used 260 or a new one. They can be bought for 600 new if you look.

The advantages you have with the 260 are  huge but If you have a pc you can attach it to that unit and use that for the set up and tweak of your system. I would hazard a guess that you might get all you need with this addition.

After you use the PEQ in the 260 and can see what your doing on the computer screen, I dont think you will look back.

Skip the DRPA. You will be selling it to upgrade in short order since it so limited in what you can do.
The DR260 is good as are units from other vendors, some for less $$.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 01:38:33 AM »

just re-wire the speakons inside the cab.  Since you're using SW118's it's a moot point.  If you ever wanted to use a SW218 with your amp get on here and we'll help you with it.

Are you suggesting discrete-drive for an SW218?  They are like 300w RMS and nominal 8 ohms per driver, so that would be silly.

Anyway, MAP on a CW218V and a Behringer amp is around $1100; add a bit for RMX or XLSd.  Not a bad price for 6dB more bass.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ

(BJ) Benjamin Fisher

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 05:50:01 AM »

Adam - The reason I was running my XLS 802 in bridged is because it puts out 2100W @ 4ohm. If I run it in stereo, 8ohm per side, I'm only feeding each SW118 500w. Seems really under powered to me, especially in comparison to them getting 1050w right now in bridged mode...care to clear up my confusion? Right now, I cringe to say I am using Yamaha BR15 tops. Not the best, but sound decent and were in my price range when I first put this rig together ( I had the intention of doing SIMPLE solo acoustic gigs and we see where I went from there Rolling Eyes!)

Oh, and Adam, see my reply to Jerome just below!

Jerome - I could use some more information and details on the NL4 topic. I'm very unclear on this whole concept. Excuse my newb-ism....I am by far lacking wiring knowledge as well, so help with that would be great. If this little mod will help me, I am all for learning how to do it and helping me accomplish what I need!

Rob - Aside from Behringer, what are other units you would suggest if not going with the DR260? What are the advantages over the DRPA?

Jeff - You lost me on the first part haha. Glad you agree its not a bad price for 6db more bass. Hope that wasnt sarcasm, as I think 6db will be noticeable yes?

BJ Fisher
Stealthy Sound
Columbus,OH

Adam Schaible

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »

benjamin fisher wrote on Mon, 25 January 2010 04:50

Adam - The reason I was running my XLS 802 in bridged is because it puts out 2100W @ 4ohm. If I run it in stereo, 8ohm per side, I'm only feeding each SW118 500w. Seems really under powered to me, especially in comparison to them getting 1050w right now in bridged mode...care to clear up my confusion? Right now, I cringe to say I am using Yamaha BR15 tops. Not the best, but sound decent and were in my price range when I first put this rig together ( I had the intention of doing SIMPLE solo acoustic gigs and we see where I went from there Rolling Eyes!)

Well the whole concept of under-powering is a scam. The difference between 500w and 1050w is a conceptual 3db, but will be more like 1.5 db due to power compression and the fact that your speakers are kind of tapped out at 500w.  I know Yamaha says 1200w peak, which is true - but you're not making much more noise with 1200w than 500w.

Just don't let the amp clip consistently and you'll be fine.  Plus, with running an 8 ohm load your amp will sound MUCH better and last much longer.

As far as NL4 ... the mod is designed so you can run each speaker in a dual speaker cabinet (SW218 or something) discretely, meaning 1 speaker per channel, rather than 1 cap per channel.

I'm not sure there's much to be gained here due to your speaker cab configuration.  I'd run 2 sw118's on one side of your amp and the sw218 on the other.  You'd go down a theoretical 3db in max output due to power, but up 6db due to doubling cabs/power (4 ohm load is ok).  I'd go that route and not buy another amp, and if I did buy another amp I'd sell the 802d and get something that's like 1500-2000w @ 4 ohms.

I do think you're better off with a bit more than 500w per sub but I wouldn't say it's that big of a deal.

Adam Schaible

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »

Jeff Wheeler wrote on Mon, 25 January 2010 00:38

just re-wire the speakons inside the cab.  Since you're using SW118's it's a moot point.  If you ever wanted to use a SW218 with your amp get on here and we'll help you with it.

Are you suggesting discrete-drive for an SW218?  They are like 300w RMS and nominal 8 ohms per driver, so that would be silly.

Anyway, MAP on a CW218V and a Behringer amp is around $1100; add a bit for RMX or XLSd.  Not a bad price for 6dB more bass.

At first I thought he had a SW2118 instead of 2 SW118's - and in that scenario, I would probably discrete drive using the 802.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 15 queries.