ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: the little wedge that could  (Read 37160 times)

Art Welter

Re: the little wedge that could
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

Greg Cameron wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 17:06

How do you propose dealing with covering/protecting the driver with that waveguide protruding? Seems like it sticks out quite a bit.

Greg

Makes it easier to know where to drop your beer Laughing

John Haliburton said in a previous post:
"A metal grill can be mounted on the front, and it will have a gentle arc."

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »

The problem with just a basic grill with an arc is that it will need to be reinforced as if someone stands on it, it's going to press against the waveguide when it flexes. And you know someone is going to stand on it Wink It seems like some type of perpendicular ribbing would be required on the to make it really strong. It will be interesting to see can be done.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Weogo Reed

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »

Hi Greg,

You point out a real concern.
A bit hard to see in the pictures, but there are arced supports either side of the speaker to support the grill.

The grill for the 15" sits in top and bottom grooves, and has never been flexed down near the 60 degree horn.

I built an, ahem, 'custom' tool of plywood with properly spaced finish nail heads protruding a little bit to grab and remove the grill so I could look inside!

Thanks and good health,  Weogo  

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »

Greg Cameron wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 01:27

The problem with just a basic grill with an arc is that it will need to be reinforced as if someone stands on it, it's going to press against the waveguide when it flexes. And you know someone is going to stand on it Wink It seems like some type of perpendicular ribbing would be required on the to make it really strong. It will be interesting to see can be done.

Greg

Wouldn't this be very close in design to the Microwedge?  
They are stand-proof.

John Halliburton

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »

There are, as Weogo pointed out, cleats on the sides of the driver to attach the grill.  If I need more, I'll incorporate some extra acnhoring points along the other two sides.  As the grill will only be about 15" square, if made in a sufficient guage, I'm anticipating it will be strong enough as it sits.

If not, then that's why these are beta test units.

Best regards,

John

Greg Cameron

• http://www.cameronproaudio.com
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 15:07

Greg

They are stand-proof.

The waveguide in the MicroWedge is very small and under the dust cap of the woofer. It uses the cone as a continuation of the guide. So in that case, there is no protrusion of the waveguide. The profile is the same as a plane woofer.

Greg
Cameron Pro Audio.

"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Kristian Johnsen

• http://www.partyfabrikken.no
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 07:15:17 PM »

Greg Cameron wrote on Sun, 17 January 2010 00:51

Kristian Johnsen wrote on Sat, 16 January 2010 15:07

Greg

They are stand-proof.

The waveguide in the MicroWedge is very small and under the dust cap of the woofer. It uses the cone as a continuation of the guide. So in that case, there is no protrusion of the waveguide. The profile is the same as a plane woofer.

Greg

That's all fine, but also kinda theoretical, since the grille on the Microwedge is designed especially to be stood on without buckling.  So my point was that if they found a way to manage that, so should the OP  Smile

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »

Arched metal alone is orders of magnitude stronger than flat metal. If the end-user needs "boot-proof" grilles, a step up to 14 gauge perforated sheet should do the trick. "Mook-proof" is another story...
Jim McKeveny
SoundResource
Bohemia, NY

Jack Arnott

• http://assistanceaudio.com
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »

Tim Weaver wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 09:01

Is there a regular woofer that matches these coax woofers? I'm thinking a PAS style drum fill would be kickin'.....

Or, for that matter it could be a FOH cabinet too. A double 12 plus horn where the top driver is a coax would definitely be an eye opener.

Hello Tim,
The BMS 12N620 is a close match to the coaxial.
I have a friend who has done the drum monitor thing with 2 12" + 12"/1" coaxial. It was quite fun.

The potential down side to this coaxial and the 12N620 is that they have 3" VCs. So more appropriate might be the coaxial full range, and another cone that is on a separate aux for drum subs.
I have done that, but not with all the components in one box.

Regards, Jack
The Buffalo's already dead,
What was going through your head?
Why did you choose the color Re-ed?
Joss Whedon

www.assistanceaudio.com

Jack Arnott

• http://assistanceaudio.com
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 15 January 2010 09:38

Weogo,

I know I'm not supposed to talk about boxes, but hopefully I'm allowed to praise the work of some fellow LABsters...

Hello Bennett,

I see this quite differently.
(You are allowed to flap your gums, figuratively speaking, about guns and alcohol, so why not contribute in you live sound field of expertese?) Laughing

No, really. If that is your thought then I think you are being too passive. I think that if you let people know up front that you represent ADRaudio, and you do on your tag line, that you can even pipe in on anything that would be appropriate for others use.
(What is the best sounding rig for my kick drum?)

So your experience with using and selling boxes makes you an invaluable contributor to this forum. Share it.

Regards, Jack
The Buffalo's already dead,
What was going through your head?
Why did you choose the color Re-ed?
Joss Whedon

www.assistanceaudio.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.